Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl DVD Player again...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

zeplin43 wrote:
    Thkz Lensman for your help,in your opinion is this dvd worth it? Will threre be firmware updates in the future since i did not come across any for now,or is it better to buy a dvd based on the mediatec chipset which seems to have various updates in the portuguese language.
    Ps This is an incredible forum full of information spent several hours browsing it this weekend.
    Keep up the good work!!!!!:):v:
    Can't say about the Zoran chipset !! but if you get your hands on the Silversrest (KH6507) player which is based on the MTK (Mediatek) chipset you can perform
    lots of firmware upgrades,..;) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ronnie

Hello,
    I just bought the Silvercrest KH 6508 and its a wonderfull player, plays almost everything. I bought it in Lidl Netherlands for 65 euro.

PS Leitor is not a brand, it means reader in Portuguese .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zeplin43

Ronnie so you bought the dvd and it plays good that great news.
    How do plan to update the software or correct bugs i you need to
    I lost the whole weekend and the best part of today looking for information on this dvd and its chip and found no updates,and very little information,does not seem to popular.
    I am working with Lensman information that it has a zoran Vaddis chipset but that is something that i cannot confirm.Please can someone give us some more inf. on all this situation.
    I also find it strange that silvercrest changed the chipset from the kh 6507 (mediatek) kh 6508 (zoran Vaddis) can any one verify this inf.There are quite a lot of updates for mediatek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 deesycom

lensman wrote:
    Lidl are selling Targa DVD player from Monday 28/11/05 in some parts of mainland Europe, it's seems to be the best player they have offered so far,..it can play all types of media and video/audio formats, Lidl Portugal are selling the Silvercrest under the name of Leitor but it's the same unit.
    seehere
    for more details, I think it's based on the MTK chipset, if so there is a lot of upgrades and modifactions around to enhance it ;);)
    Targa 5200x based on sigmatek chipset. i realy don't know is it necessary to have usb 1.1 support in dvd player.
    All
    last one in lidl (6508) looks quite good. just only few wiches like better quality of jpegs, more speed for divx, etc i would like to have. but i'm very happy with quality of divx-es.

zeplin43 wrote:
    I am working with Lensman information that it has a zoran Vaddis chipset but that is something that i cannot confirm.Please can someone give us some more inf. on all this situation.
    I also find it strange that silvercrest changed the chipset from the kh 6507 (mediatek) kh 6508 (zoran Vaddis) can any one verify this inf.There are quite a lot of updates for mediatek.
    I can confirm. I opened both players.
    6507 has MTK 1389 chipset
    6508 - Zoran Vaddis 776
    another problem - as i read from forums, that is not quite possible to use different FW from different players like with MTK or ESS.
    So, do not buy the player if you realy need to update something.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

daveg wrote:
    Now I have a quick question. Xvid and DivX codecs are updated all the time and the latest (legal :) ) downloads will contain the latest codecs. Are the DivX players upgradable so your guarenteed your player will play the latest codec's?

Sorry guys, but did anyone come up with an answer to this question. I am actually thinking of buying a HD dvd player which has divX capabilities and was also wondering if this upgrade of the codecs would be possible.

COme on guys any news on how it is possible to update firmware? Sale goes down on thursday and usualy everthing worth it dissapears quikly at the lidl stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

zeplin43 wrote:
    COme on guys any news on how it is possible to update firmware? Sale goes down on thursday and usualy everthing worth it dissapears quikly at the lidl stores.
    What sale? Where? I missed these last week :(

zeplin43 wrote:
    It really comes down to hours of Googling the web when your looking for technical info on any of the DVD players out there,..owners of the KH6507 with
    the mediatek (MTK) chipset are lucky as this chipset seems to have attracted the attention of the technically gifted community who in turn pass on their knowledge to the rest of us,..;) if you can't find similar information out there about other chipsets then maybe it doesn’t exist,..:(

Don't get to hung up about this,..:) 99% of DVD players can be made multiregion ;) regardless of what chipset is inside,...this is what most people want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Haven't read the whole post but I have the one that was out last christmas and it was a great bargain.

Plays anything I've thrown at it VCD 2.0, SVCD, DIVX, XviD, Multiregion DVD's e.t e.t.c if your looking for a capable DVD DivX player with a nice bonus (cardreader very handy) then get this

And yes it is upgradable theres even a hard drive mod you can do on it albeit it will only run at USB 1.1 speeds.

Lensman its not the multiregion im worried about my main concern are the divx and xvid codexs that are always changing or in constant evolution.
    I am always downloading from p2p like emule and not so long ago mpeg 2/3 was the the most common codec but now you divx 5 and six and nero digital witch means that the most recent movie dowloads will be in that format very soon.
    if i cant update my chip it means i will have an obsolete dvd in a few months,do you get my point view.
    Now i have already 2 dvd readers and they are outdated one only reads original dvd (panasonic) the other reads early formats like avi and mpeg 2/3(Electronia) but if i want to download the latest movies around they are in divx or in xvid format.
    So this means i have to buy another one,and dont wanna make the same mistake three times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just download the video in DVDR format and encode it to whatever format you require. No need to buy a new player then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sebbe

Hej!

Just to help you to get rid of some of your confusion:

The DVD player sold in Germany starting yesterday is the same model that I bought in Sweden today. Here, its name is "Silvercrest KH6508" as well.
    What concerns me, is that it is locked to "region 2". Does anybody of you have any idea if it is possible to get rid of that restriction by entering some "secret code"? I really don't want to mess around with the firmware…

Thanks,
    Sebbe

P.S. I actually paid 599:- SEK for it which should be about 65:- EUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Amigaman wrote:
    I have to say I quite like the silvercrest KH 6507 I was able to hack the card reader and add an external usb Hdd with 160 gb which is really handy..and very easy to do ..
    http://jl.web.free.fr/silvercrest/tuning_usb.htm
    :D

I want to do this but cant read the french too well? is it simply a matter of disconnecting the cable from the card reader and connecting a female usb port to this?

Sebbe wrote:
    What concerns me, is that it is locked to "region 2". Does anybody of you have any idea if it is possible to get rid of that restriction by entering some "secret code"? I really don't want to mess around with the firmware…
    was post on second page:
    btw. region hack: open tray, type 2812, then change region to 9 to make it multiregion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sebbe

deesycom wrote:
    was post on second page:
    btw. region hack: open tray, type 2812, then change region to 9 to make it multiregion.

I even didn't have to do that. It worked with "Region ?¿?" DVD:s from China right from the beginning :D
    So guys, get that machine where still available. In my opinion it's a bargain.

Sebbe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The_Pc

Not to brag but the Silvercrest KH 6508 goes on sale at Lidl here in France on Thursday for only 49.95 euros... guess I'll be queuing for one as it's region free and plays all standard formats. For that price you just upgrade in 3-4 yrs time. Thanks for the info guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

The_Pc wrote:
    Not to brag but the Silvercrest KH 6508 goes on sale at Lidl here in France on Thursday for only 49.95 euros... guess I'll be queuing for one as it's region free and plays all standard formats. For that price you just upgrade in 3-4 yrs time. Thanks for the info guys!

You can enter a code for the 6507 to make it region free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got the Silvercrest KH6508 last week and have to say I'm not at all happy with the RGB Scart picture on the machine, stuck in an original of Speilberg's War of the Worlds and the picture looks extremely grainy, I'm goint to switch back to the Tesco's Goodmans Divx player that I have to compare the picture. Anyone else have any thoughts, btw the TV is a 100hz 32" Panasonic, which always gives a decent picture on DVD's but this seems to be the exception.

Snake ;)

To all owners of the silvercrest kh 6508 give us an opinion on the dvd, sale goes down tomorrow and i would like to decide what to do.
    thks in advance keep up the good work!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Got the Silvercrest KH6508 last week and have to say I'm not at all happy with the RGB Scart picture on the machine, stuck in an original of Speilberg's War of the Worlds and the picture looks extremely grainy, I'm goint to switch back to the Tesco's Goodmans Divx player that I have to compare the picture. Anyone else have any thoughts, btw the TV is a 100hz 32" Panasonic, which always gives a decent picture on DVD's but this seems to be the exception.

Snake ;)
    can you configure the scarts on the Panasonic for different inputs ?
    on my 32" 100hz Thomson each scart can work as either RGB,SVideo,Normal-Video,
    is the scart setup as RGB ?
    are you using a fully wired scart cable ?
    sorry if you know all this already,..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimas

Snake,Speilberg's War of the Worlds IS extremely grainy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rpOliveira

Hi!

Silvercrest KH 6508 is going to be on sale tomorrow, here in Portugal, and before buying I need to know if it displays subtitles correctly, that is, if it accepts srt, sub,... files with the same name of the video file and displays the subtitles properly.

In case of positive answer how does the subtitles look like? Are the size correct? I had to upgrade the firmware of a Kiss DVD player I have because subtitles appeared too small.

I would largely appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for your attention.

jimas wrote:
    Snake,Speilberg's War of the Worlds IS extremely grainy.
    yeh,...processed a bit like saving private ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saiyan

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, this forum is really cool. I purchased a 6508 in France. I have a few problems.

1) S-video won't work on my projector (Infocus X1), it says : Out of signal range ! :( ... this sux as I don't want to use composite instead, it flicks a bit and quality is lower than s-video. I have yet to try another s-video cable.

2) Some xvid are not smooth, for instance the last Lost episode... fluidity is not like some other movies.

3) The remote control sux ! you have to point on or higher of the censor to make it work. I used to have remotes I could point almost anywhere in the room and it would work, this one is one of those annoying remotes in my opinion (do any other possessors of the player agree ?).

4) The fast forward and rewind image is bad too... I mean it shows "froze" frames one after the other... I'm used with Mediatek players where you see the image going faster but it still looks like movie, not like a slideshow.

Anyway, I'm thinking about returning it to LIDL ... and surely will if I can'tfix my s-video issue. Too bad this player doesn't have VGA out. Does anyone know if the card player can be hacked to use USB ? if so I suppose its USB 1.1 ? (meaningless for high quality divx content).

If anyone has similar problems or ideas on how to fix some of this, they would surely be welcomed :).

thanks in advance,
    Saiyan

I've had my KH6509 for a good 10 days now...

- My model seems to be a KH6509 and not a KH6508 as mentioned in the brochure. What is the difference, the color :confused: ? Mine's black while the one on the picture is silver.

- Using mine with the SCART cable and the image is stable and of good quality.

- :( The remote control (as could be expected) does indeed "suck". The buttons are soft need pressing well. You also really need to point it towards the unit or it will not detect the beam. With other remotes I can even point to the wall opposite the unit and it would register. The buttons on the frontpanel need pushing hard too, just hearing them click often does not mean it registers the action.

- Fast forward/rewind is indeed more of a slideshow than a real forward/rewind. Not using the function a lot so is less of a problem for me (especially at only 50euros).

- Nifty feature is the volume control through the DVD player. The remote control is also lightweight. The player itself is slim and has a reduced depth, so can be installed anywhere.

- :confused: Less fun is that today it locked up on 2 DVDs in the middle of the movie (where it changes layers?). Need to check the DVDs on another older DVD player to verify if it's the DVDs or the player. I'll post the results.

- Had mixed results with DIVX and XVID movies, but considering some were passed on by friends the jerky playback might have been linked to the compilation rather than the unit as some movie has exellent fluidity with DIVX5. Added bonus is that the unit behaves the same way regardless of DIVX/XVID or DVD, fast forward/rewind etc...

- The Silvercrest/Lidl website (http://www.mysilvercrest.de/) resembles the Lidl shops... not much in it, especially not the different LH650x DVD players. As support for each unit is supposed to be on the product page itself it means you're screwed getting any support from their site. :mad:

All in all I think next time I'll check out a Mediatek chip. That manufacturer has a real proven track record. The unit is not bad in se but lacks those finishing touches that would make it a real great bargain at a nice price. At 50 euros this surely is not a bad buy especially considering the card reader (still need to test it).

Looking forward to hearing more from other users!
    Goign back to enjoying mine now...

PS For the USB conversion there is a guy who made a similar change on KH6507, try that one, but would surely be USB 1.1.

Think I'll just throw it out the window and hope no-one brings it back. Bloody thing doesn't read at least 10-15% of regular DVDs (bought ones, not even copies!)... just locks up in the middle of the movie. Even my old clunky Bluesky used to read 99,5% of regular DVDs :mad: Stick to known brands guys, and most of all to known decoder chips!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think I'll just throw it out the window
    Why not bring it back to Lidl for a refund

I will send it back for repair, you can only bring it back for refund within a month I think. One good thing about Lidl is it's 3 year warranty, so I'll keep bringing it back until the darn thing starts reading the discs :v:. If it wasn't for the lock-ups (and the silly remote control) the machine would rate average to OK (with the 50euro price tag that is a fair machine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ruairispillane

I purchased it in Lidl bout 6 months ago...use it to play burnt dvd's that i download coz it plays all format. Recently tho it will only play the burned dvd's in black and white. can someone please help??

dvd type: dvd r- with files burnt on in 'data disc' function using sonic (dell supplied software)
    format: all file types dont seem to have colour anymore...

NB. they used to play fine but now the menu screen flicked for a second when i press 'play' for any file and then it appears in black n white. on going back to menu screen then the menus screen appears in black n white also which is strange...could it be a setting in the tv?? problem seems to have occurred since i moved house

in case anyone thinks its a scart problem it plays bought dvd's fine in colour...i think the key identifying problem is the fact that it 'flicks out' and then appears back in black n white when i play any file

I would really appreciate if anyone can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Just a quick suggestion: Is your TV auto-switching to NTSC instead of PAL or vice-versa? When it goes to B/W again, try bringing up the TV's menu to be sure...

Or.. the player was plugged out for a while and needs to be 'unlocked' for NTSC formats again...

You say its since you moved house. Maybe the Scart leads are connected in a different order now? I konw that when I've moved things around, different devices 'take over' the TV display (i.e. video "knocks off" DVD picture when powered up, etc.).

Also keep in mind that not all SCART cables are wired in the same way, some have fewer wires than there are actually pins, and it is not the first time that dependingon the equipment I want to connect I have to go through my set of cables to find the right cable for the right machine depending on whether you need input or input and output.

As for the KH6509, I contacted their after sales service, they sent me a sticker to send back the machine at their expenses. I am now waiting for a new machine, hoping it will not "freeze" on certain bought DVDs again.

cheers for the suggestions guys...

which mode should tv be on? NTSC or PAL ...

would these problems still be possible even if it plays normal bought dvd's perfectly?? i thought that this would mean the scart connection is ok??

is it that i need to switch the dvd mode for burnt dvd's??

how do i unlock the player for NTSC formats??

really appreciate the help n im sorry for bouncing so many more questions but do ye have any idea how to stop the sound delay in some formats or is that a problem with the dvd burner?? gonna use nero from now on coz its meant to be more reliable

got problem sorted...it was just a matter of changing the format on the dvd player again to support pal...thanks a million for the help

Ruairi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steffenschubert

Hi,

Yesterday I bought the new €59 DVD player from Lidl. Looks great BUT it's incompatible with the 17" Targa LCD I bought about two months abo from Lidl.

The DVD player and the LCD can be connected with a regular VGA cable, just like you'd connect a laptop computer to the LCD.

For sound, there's NO stereo connector on the back of the DVD player and there's ONLY a stereo connector at the LCD. Thus, you'd need some adapter to combine the left & right audio channel into one. Ok, no problem. Can be done.

HOWEVER, the VGA output signal seems incompatible with the Targa LCD because all I get is "Out of Range" displayed on the LCD. It seems that the LCD cannot handle the horizontal resolution and/or refresh rate of the DVD player.

I would have expected that the hardware of the LCD can downscale appropriately if the horizontal resolution is too much but this is not the case.

So, unfortunately, the nice €59 DVD player will go back to Lidl today.

Advertisement