Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The house inspectors are coming...

Options
  • 17-11-2005 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Today, while I am at work, an agent for my landlord will come and have a good old poke around my house, supposedly checking for any 'maintenance' that the landlord may need to carry out, for which read 'any damage to property caused by tenants'.

Fair enough, I reckon. The landlord is paying the agency an annual fee for doing all their hard work and they want to make sure us tenants aren't having wild parties and destroying the place every weekend. And we did know about this when we signed the lease. However, we were informed afterwards that this was to take place 'quarterly', I had kind of imagined it would be every 6 months or maybe just at the end of the years lease. Also, I should mention, we get a letter with the date of the inspection about 2 weeks before hand (so plenty of time to get the carpets cleaned :)) but it states that if one of us cannot be there on the day they will use their own keys to gain entry.

I’m sure it’s all perfectly above board and legal, I'm just really not comfortable with a stranger inspecting every room in my house while I'm not there (probably wouldn't be even if I was there) and much less it happening every 3 months. I am the only person who finds this a bit unreasonable and has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Rights as a tenant in private rented accommodation

* You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home.
    * You are entitled to certain minimum standards of accommodation.
    * You are entitled to a rent book.
    * You have the right to contact the landlord or their agent at any reasonable times. You are also entitled to the appropriate contact information you need to do so (telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses, etc.).
    * Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency.
    * You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlords’ responsibility.
    * You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord about an extra person moving in.
    * You are entitled to a certain amount of notice of the termination of your tenancy.
    * You are entitled to refer any disputes to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) without being penalised for doing so
    * You have the right to a copy of any register entry held by the PRTB dealing with your tenancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Kolodny wrote:
    I am the only person who finds this a bit unreasonable and has anyone had a similar experience?
    It seems a little excessive for me but it is his property and he can state how it can be run. He has the right and you can't keep him out as he is letting you know how often it will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

kololodny we used to have them too about 4/5 times a year,they aren't that bad but they do get annoying when they want to do it 1)during the day and 2)the day after they ask you, the first few times we scrubbed the house after that we just left it looking lived in.

Advertisement