Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster around Stove Flue

Options
  • 17-11-2005 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a wood burning stove installed a while back. The flue exits the top and goes into the chimney at an angle. I need to plaster around where the flue enters the chimney (about 6" all round the flue) The guy who installed it back fillled the cavity with cement. Any recommendations on plastering it? There's roughly 1/2" or so to be filled. Should I use a particular type plaster for the heat?
    Hope I described it ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I presume you mean it was filled with fire cement and you just want to apply the finish ?

1/2" depth is a bit of a nuisance, you could fill it out more with bonding, almost level with the existing finish and then apply a finish of skimcoat.

I think if you try filling out that depth with skimcoat or patching plaster it will just crack and maybe even fall off.

Wait for a day you are not going to use the stove, if the plaster is heated up suddenly it will definitely crack, while the plaster looks set it is not cured so introduce the heat slowly.

Make sure the existing filling has not cracked, if it has you will probably need fire cement around the flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Cheers Pete,

Yes, fire cement is what I meant to say.
    Thanks for the help.

Advertisement