Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Won`t Shut Down

• 17-11-2005 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I have a Dell with XP SP2 on it.
    Lately when I attempt to shut down it starts to shut down(ie the taskbar icons close down slowly sometimes,some remain open and it hangs then at this stage).
    When I then try to open something it tells me that cannot open due to bla bla shutdown, so I presume that it is trying to shut down but something is stopping it.

I then press the power button for about 10 seconds and it shuts down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Virus.
    Theres a virus thats not shutting down, either that or you are missing dll files
    Boot into safe mode and run a virus check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you have the time:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326841

^its SP1 but the same rules apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Gavin1 wrote:
    Hi ,
    I have a Dell with XP SP2 on it.
    Lately when I attempt to shut down it starts to shut down(ie the taskbar icons close down slowly sometimes,some remain open and it hangs then at this stage).
    When I then try to open something it tells me that cannot open due to bla bla shutdown, so I presume that it is trying to shut down but something is stopping it.

I then press the power button for about 10 seconds and it shuts down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Gavin

Download the Microsoft Anti Spyware from http://download.microsoft.com and check your system from spyware; it may find some and could resolve yoru problem.

If you are concerned about virus's then http://www.grisoft.com < -- avg free which is a good free virus solution.

Make sure your system has the latest security updates from http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/

let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

You should use:
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spy Sweeper
    ZoneAlarm Pro

I have tested those programs by myself. I f you will have it, your computer will be safe 98%

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks folks,
    It was a 2 trojans in different forms, 7 infections in total.
    Before my system had Computer Associates Antivirus and Firewall, AD-Ware SE Professional and Spy Sweeper and it caught none of these. Ad-Ware is crap and I have e-mailed them so I am awaiting a response. Spy Sweeper caught more than Ad-Ware.
    I changed my firewall to Zone Alarm Pro and virus to Kaspersky Personal Pro. Kaspersky caught the trojans mentioned above and IMHO is class.

By the way the PC shuts dwon no problem now.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

adware and spy sweeper will never catch viruses or trojans as this is not what they do. They only check for spyware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

avg or nod32 + hitman pro + MS antispyware = sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

You should use Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware SE Personal together. If one of them won't find, another will do it.

Advertisement