Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does O2 Email still work over CSD?

• 17-11-2005 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I set up my phone to send email over GPRS using the settings outline on the "sticky" WAP/Email/GPRS settings link and sent a message without any problems, apart from the cost of GPRS ;)

I then decided to try it out over CSD but the number given for it ends up with an "unreachable signal" - I used the settings below:
    ISP / EMAIL over GSM (CSD) Settings

Connection name: o2 gsm isp
    Data bearer: GSM Data
    Dial up number: +353866066020
    Username: register@o2.ie
    Prompt password: no
    Password: guest
    Authentication: normal
    Gateway IP address: Leave as is (0.0.0.0)
    Data call type: ISDN v.110
    Maximum Data Speed: 9600 for Speakeasy / 14400 for Contract

Phone IP: Leave as is (dynamic)
    Primary name server: 62.40.32.33
    Second. name server: 62.40.32.34

I'm using O2 PAYG and have a V500 phone. There are minimal settings I can change: CSD/GPRS, then the username (register@o2.ie), password (guest) and my DNS IP. There's nothing to set around "data call type" or "max data speed".

Some further info: I just noticed when I logged onto O2.ie that my phone did attempt to send the message over CSD - but using the *old* number that was on the phone before I got it (it was originally on Orange UK). Now the weird thing is is that I have definitely set the Dial-up Number to the +35386 above - but it tried to contact the Orange number (+447973100273) instead, according to my call listings .. and on the third attempt it succeeded, costing me a cross-channel PAYG call :(

So I guess the correct question is: why is the V500 trying to contact a different number to my Email setup?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Ok, what appears to have happened is that the V500 tried to use the Orange UK number (even though I changed the profile to Custom) for the first two tries. On a third attempt, it finally *did* send the message - but the O2 number for emails isn't charged at WAP rates but as a normal O2->O2 phone call! So at peak rates, the 40s it took to send the message cost 37c!

You live and learn, I guess...

Advertisement