Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless share a dialup conection query

• 17-11-2005 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I got a new laptop Hp zd8000 wich has wireless net card built in . what I want to do is connect it to my desktop pc to share a dialup connection wirelessly. I Also would like to be able to Connect and disconnect at will. So if im downstairs in my living room and my desktop is powered on upstairs with a phone line running to it. I could just connect using my laptop and when finished browsing I could then just disconnect.
    So what hardware would i need to purchase, im hoping i could just get away with purchaseing a pci card for my desktop and run the ICS wizard in XP. Also i need some advice on a soft firewall would zone alrarm do , i could just set it to allow each machine ip address.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not exactly what you want, but PC World have a bluetooth modem for 110Eurons (which means you will pick it up on the net for around 70 Euro). You will also need a bluetooth dongle for the laptop if it doesn't have bluetooth built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Perhaps a little complicated but....

Old PC (Look in the shop - There's a guy selling Compaq boxes for 50 quid that'll do) running SmoothWall (Linux, free of charge, easy to setup - Really!) which will do Dial-Up on demand. Connect a linksys or similar wireless router (with integrated 4 port switch) to the SmoothWall box via the network card, which is actually a firewall & router appliance now, and you're good to go. Total cost, less than €120 or thereabouts if you shop around. You could stick it under the stairs too if you run the phoneline from your hallway and for €15 you can drop a wireless PCI card in the PC.

Or, stick a wireless card in the PC upstairs, install SmoothWall (replacing Windows) and you're also good to go. Can have some implications if you're using the PC for storing files. Perhaps someone else can recommend a more suitable software build to get you going for such a small price. The advantage with going for the first one would be that the wireless router kit will work with broadband if you get it in the future.

Cheers,

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Thanks for the suggestions.

But I have only read your post today and yesterday I went out and bought a Canyon CN-WF514 Wireless Router. I connected my 2 desktops via wired Ethernet to the router and then connect the laptop wirelessly. set each one to obtain ip address. all machine see each other fine. Then I ran the ICS in Xp which gave my desktop with the dialup a static IP address. so now when I try connected via my laptop my desk dials up and connect fine. the only problem is as soon as I try to setup a firewall zone alarm or Xp's the internet part stops working. any ideas.

Advertisement