Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTS information

Options
  • 17-11-2005 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I have been asked by my boss to research a system that can pull information automatically from a number of different databases, filter it, and store it in another database.

I believe this process is called DTS. I know this is a broad question, but could anyone point me to a good source of information that they may have used or come across, either on the net or books. Or if you had any other points or advice, i'd be happy to hear it.

Sorry this is vague - cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Hi,

Yea SQL Server 7.0 and higher comes with a service called DTS or Distributed Transformation Services. You can use it to Collect, Manipulate and Write data to various formats. I use it in work on SQL server 2000 to import Excel/CSV files into a database removing duplicates along the way. As a tool for data transfer its fantastic, you can use it for instance to read data from one type of Database such as mySQL and write it to an Oracle database without it ever having to enter the MS SQL database.

From the sounds of it though you would need to find out some stuff from your boss:
    [1] What type of databases are the souce data stored in.
    [2] What type of processing needs to be done on the information (if any) before its written to the new Database.
    [3] What is the new database type.

Heres a few resources:
    http://www.sqldts.com/
    http://www.sqlteam.com/filtertopics.asp?TopicID=164

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

SQL Server 2005 will have a replacement for DTS called SQL Server Integration Services. Functionality including XML/XSLT and lots of other adapters for different database types. Read about it here

Advertisement