Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite ad ever?

• 17-11-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

What's your favourite ad ever to be shown on British/Irish TV?

Mine is, without a shadow of a doubt the British Airways "Face" ad first shown in 1989 I believe. They still use versions the music (from Carmen I think?) in their campaigns today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

its fairly recent but my favourite ad of all time is the new Amstel Ad.

"Oi Chris....lthere's and over there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

ESB Christmas one - with Dusty Springfield singing 'Going Back'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I DRINK BLACKCURRANT TANGO! I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!

A Gem for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rolo ad with the Elephant..

.. nah nah!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Carlsberg, pre World Cup 2002, Jason McAteer scores the winner against Brazil in the final. Magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Kodac

I know the funniest ad in recent times- you know that tea ad? I can never remember which product, I think its Lyons, but its got the family of owls coming home after their hectic days. And all they want is a nice relaxing cupa...

"Dont talk to me Tom, I'm a women on the verge!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"Would you like to Ride with Batman?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

This one always got me. It was so sentimental. A good choice.

I can't think of one myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

the tango ad with the guy in the nappy, even though they had to change it because kids were hurting each other copying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Cant believe nobody mentioned it yet but the best ad ever has to be the "john west" salmon ad when the guy steals the fish of the bear. A solid classic. they should Run it again. It was shown about 3 or 4 years ago. Anybody else remember it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like the donegal catch one (you might be beautiful....) sad I know.
    Also loved the one with the family eating carte dor ice cream and the old gal starts piping up about not knowing who the mans dad was . That got banned though for being insulting to old people!
    Also there's one where a woman is dancing round the kitchen and she walloped her head off an open cupboard, but I can't remember what it was for (good eh!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I bet he drinks carling black label dam busters.

the music from the BA advert Face I thnk is from the Pearl Fishers

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Brilliant choice! Was a fab ad alright.

Also:
    "Crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside - ARMADILLOS" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

What was the Armadillo's one!

/as she says Armadillo's in the armadillo voice........

Was it dime bars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mine was a BBC1 ad called "Rush hour", it featured that cool French streeet sport, Parkour, a guy running and jumping across the rooftops and there was a late night version of it with a naked chick playing a piano.
    It had a slower version of that song, Sway ("When the, when the rhythm starts to play, Dance with me, make my sway")

But the best bit was still the naked chick. :p
    I've just Googled it and found a few links, but can only find safe versions with no nudity (gratituous side-boob if I remember correctly!) :(

Linkage! http://www.sfparkour.com/forums/sfparkour/leparkour_comm_rush_hour.mpeg
    7.3MBs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shake 'n Vac.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

The Bravia Ad with the bouncy balls, excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The Terry Tate ad's!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

There's a few classics I love. The 'Worth Waiting for' Carlsberg ad with the clip from Cool Hand Luke. How fortunate for Carlsberg that they used a Carlsberg glass in the film. Perfect.

My favourite ad though is an old Carlsberg one that was also an ad for Hamlet Cigars. It came out around the same time that Tobacco advertising was banned so I only ever saw it once. This chap is staggering in the desert, dry mouth etc. He sees a swimming pool in the distance with loads of scantily clad babes and he runs to dive into the pool. It's a mirage so he smacks the ground with his fist and hits a Can of Carlsberg that's buried. He also finds a Glass. He starts pouring and just as he's about to drink it, the handle breaks and the beer disappears into the sand. The man they whips out his Hamlet cigar and starts puffing away. Pure class and I've been trying to get a download of this for years. Even got on to Carlsberg and they didn't know where I could get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

sanncoo wrote:
    What was the Armadillo's one!

/as she says Armadillo's in the armadillo voice........

Was it dime bars?
    I think it was for dime bars but it was a very long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Big Nelly wrote:
    The Terry Tate ad's!!
    they are ****ing brilliant!!! "YOU CAN'T CUT THE CHEESE WHENEVER YOU PLEASE!!! YAO!!!!!"

but my alltime favourite is the Walkers one where Gaza cries! classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the armadillo ads were for Dime bars.

my favorite ad was the carlsberg "wrong number ad", it was so simple it was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Guinness anticipation ad.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

the armadillo ads were for Dime bars.

my favorite ad was the carlsberg "wrong number ad", it was so simple it was brilliant.
    Was that in the dusty complaints office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

There was a Tango ad ages ago involving someone coming out or going into a cupboard. Can't remember the details, only that I thought it was hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

byte wrote:
    Was that in the dusty complaints office?

yeah thats the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The new Bravia Ad. So much better than every other ad I have ever seen.

www.bravia-advert.com

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The new Bravia Ad. So much better than every other ad I have ever seen.

www.bravia-advert.com

If you haven't seen it, check it out.
    Phenomenal stuff!

Cheers for that.

Excellent José González tune also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

basquille wrote:
    Phenomenal stuff!

Cheers for that.

Excellent José González tune also!

Haha, listening to it right now as I read your reply!

Make sure you watch the "making of" on the downloads page.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Haha, listening to it right now as I read your reply!

Make sure you watch the "making of" on the downloads page.
    Yeah.. got his album recently.

But you can also listen to that song ('Heartbeats') on his MySpace.com page - am just about to watch the making of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Haven't thought of a favourite yet but I thought the Honda "Cog" ad was impressive, like the Bravia one is at the moment...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/honda-ad.html

for some info on it from snopes.com click here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The Garlsberg ad when your man comes to view the apt and only the smallest room (box Room) in the house is left

Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

The Carlberg 'Ice Cold in Alex' "Worth waiting for" ad

The Going Back ad - I remember reading somewhere that the guy in the ad was Aonghus McAnally. Or someone of that ilk... :confused:

I love the "and oh, she was the Sunday in every week" ad - was it for turf? or Homestead? or beer? - anyway, I love that poem so I was fond of that ad. :)

The Orange Wednesdays ads they had in the cinemas when I lived in Scotland. The Roy Scheider one was genius.

What was that ad where a woman and a man are standing at a bus stop in the rain and they start kicking water at each other and end up in a puddle about 3 seconds from making sweet abandoned soaking wet love? I loved that ad...

I used to really like the Budweiser Christmas Clydesdales ads, cos it meant Christmas was coming. But since Christmas is now coming from around October, the impact has been lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

kudos joe soap on the bravia ad. its amazing! i was goin to say the honda ad too cos that one is really cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

What about the Harp ad ? With Sally O Brien . you could fry an egg on a stone if only you could find an agg . Pure Class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

i like the ballygowan ad with "cosmic dancer" playing, don't know why, just love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I love the John Smith ads with Peter Kay.
    Esp this one. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This ad for the Australian "Carlton Draught" lager is pretty smart too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Seen an Ad today which is for Lyons teas bag(new type/flavour) Two blokes on scaffold talking very "howya missus" when a girl goes by.Then when they drink tea they start talking gentlements accents ...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

the music from the BA advert Face I thnk is from the Pearl Fishers

It is the Flower Duet by Delibes.

As for an ad, I quite like the recent Toyota one, where a guy is having dinner with a woman - and to cut a long story short, he announces via a loud hailer, he has under the table, that he drives a Toyota Corolla. Makes me chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

I thought the old Corolla ad (it's a trap; have you ever seen one broken down?) was very good.

Like the John Smith diving board one, too, as well as the Honda "Cogs".

I think one of the funniest ones is the follow up to the Guinness "apology" ad (where he swims across the Atlantic to say sorry to the guy in New York), where the guy walks into a party with muddy shoes, leaves tracks across the white carpet, and goes "Sorry"!!! You had to hate the first one to appreciate the second one, imho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I don't know if you guys have this ad in Ireland, but it played over here for months.

Google "Model Miners" to see if you can find the full screen version.

Turn on your speakers:

http://www.lemonzoo.com/funny_videos/282/hot_model_miners.html

Advertisement