Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on removing carpet?

• 17-11-2005 4:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have to remove about 50m² of carpet which is glued onto wooden floors in various rooms. It's a lot tougher than I imagined it would be and my fingers are wrecked after doing half of one small room.
    Has anyone any little tips on the best techniques for pulling it up with the minimum of pain?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I had this in the house before.

best thing to do is to cut the carpet into smaller sections.

get a very sharp stanley and cut into 1m sq boxes and it is easier to handle and get rid of.
    Use a spade to lift the sections if needed without too heavy a hand.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

You could douse it in petrol and burn it
    or acid might dissolve it.
    but seriously though, if you iron it you might be able to melt the glue a bit to make it easier to come off. Good luck sanding the floors back though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thing is I sold the carpet already. I only asked for 20 quid for it, as I wanted rid and didn't want the hassle of disposing of it. If I'd known it'd be such hassle to pull up I'd have just sliced it up or burned it.
    I might try ironing it, though I fear it has a high acrylic content and I may end up burning it another way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

you will NEVER get it off the floor in a glued area without removing some or most of the backing - and then it would be unusable ( confortably ) ,

cut it up as Karltimber said - and take it to a public tip. ( or put in the wheely bin over a period.

( i used most of my old carpet as a preliner for the pond ! - and flooring in the shed to save having to dispose ! )

Advertisement