Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons has bought Reads of Nassau St

Options
  • 17-11-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

From ireland.com

"Ireland's dominant bookseller, Eason, has bought Dublin rival Reads of Nassau Street. Reads has been synonymous among generations of Dublin students with cheap photocopying and stationery, writes Dominic Coyle"

I don't have a subscription to ireland.com so I don't know if either party has commented on the deal or said what changes will occur.

I'm not hopeful that this will be good for the consumer :( Reads has always done some amazing bargains. I bought a french language course there a couple of weeks ago for €16. It was €65 everywhere else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

I have posted the full article here (maybe I should have rather posted it in the Rip-off forum):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054851147

I agree it is bad bad bad bad bad news. Eason's will increase the prices where possible. :(

--Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

i fear you could be right sarsfeild:mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am really not sure what the point of this thred is here. To sort of predecide that Easons are going to cause things to get more expensive is bit negative to say the least. It isn't actually a rip off but the possibility that certain discount may no longer be avilable.
    Maybe the reason the store was sold was it was loosing money because it sold things so cheap.

Consumer issues or the business sections seem a lot more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

MorningStar, I very much think this thread has a place here!

We are talking in general about high or too high prices in this forum. Some are clear rip offs others are warnings about high prices where cheaper identical items can be found elsewhere.

No shop in Dublin sold books, magazines or stationary for as low prices as Reads and according to Reads they still made a profit. In addition most people know that Reads constantly attacked Eason's on their flyers, faxes and shop window advertisement about the high prices, along the lines 'Why buy in Eason's if you can get it cheaper in Reads.'

If the big one swallows the small one to shut them up, because the big one didn't like the small one to compete on pricing, then this is bad for the consumer and will undoubtedly lead to higher prices.

And let's face it, even if you were to defend Eason's prices for books and stationary, their UK magazine prices are definite rip-off. So the 10% discount that Reads gave was great and I NEVER bought magazines anywhere else then in Reads.

All this is not based on prejudices agains Eason's, but on factual pricing as you can see yourself when you compare the prices in the two shops. To assume that Reads was sold because it charged to little is AT LEAST as speculative as others people (fact-based!!) expectation that the "new" Reads will be more expensive.

--Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

All I would say is it is not a rip off now therfore should not be here. Consumer issues makes a lot more sense. But it's addition in bargin alert is also equally incorrect. Rip off should be for actual rip offs very rarely do provced ones appear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Yeah, maybe I should have started the thread in Consumer Issues instead. I'm happy for it to be moved if it will make you feel better :)

Takeovers such as this always concern me as a consumer as it reduces choice. I can't think of any benefits from a consumer point of view. There's one less bookseller in the Dawson/Nassau St area now (in ownership terms rather than number of stores).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

If I'm not mistaken, there's a Reads in Cork (near Easons) and it's been comparatively empty whenever I've been inside. If Reads was profitable then why did they sell up to Easons? Who else is there to compete against Easons? From what I've seen, everyone else follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

anyone know what easons paid for reads?i bet they laid as much money as they could on the table and reads couldnt refuse?money talks

Advertisement