Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Art Themes

Options
  • 17-11-2005 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I was sitting in the art room today and started pondering as to when this year's JC Art themes are coming out (if they haven't already) and what they are. So, would anyone like to fill me in?

Also to those who did the JC exam last year, how'd did you find it? I found it really stressful because of time pressure and I wasn't allowed to bring any of my project work home (bar prep. work), which made it worse. Was this the case with you or were you one of the fortunates allowed to bring their stuff home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Here's the theme's

1.Keeping watch
    2.The beauty of change
    3.At the table
    4.Helping out
    5.Curiosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueRollingPin

Whoa, they're really open ones (well, expect At The Table). I like them, it will be interesting to see how people interpret them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah, interpreting themes. So much opportunity...

At The Table could actually be really cool.

Damn, I feel like painting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueRollingPin

Really? I feel more like eating but there's nothing unusual about that :D Damn, now I'm hungry...

As far as I know, provided you can provide some sort of relation to whatever you did and the theme itself, it's fine. And since it's art you can probably get away with some weird connections.
    Ie, "I saw the theme of 'Helping Out' and I instantly thought Dadaism. I think this great anti-art movement helped out the history and development of art and of culture itself greatly, and thus I decided to explore Dada in my project..." and such.

I picked 'Off the Beaten Track' last year and did Surrealism.

[edit: Arr, people deleting their posts after I've replied to them... well, the point still stands.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

im doing curiosity

they came out at the start of october

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I'm doing curiosity. I wanted to do fairytale things from the begining so I had to try and make it work with curiosity. So it is now about about a child's curiosity towards fairytales. I know it sounds chesey but hey the teacher said it will do! Anybody who is doing art how many parts of the proect have you done?? I've done half of my 3d!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I did curiosity and have my 2d and 3d support study sheets done.I've finished my graphic design poster and prep sheet.Now we're working on our 3d prep sheet.I choose curiosity and Am hating it right now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Wow you've done so much! I know this is dreadful ya know me being an art student and all but what are support study sheets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

For like our 3d sheet we got pictures of famous sculptures of 3d items we liked people,make up anything.We copied out some pictures and wrote something about an artists sculpture.Same for the 2d sheet.

and after that I'll tell ya I don't really remember what we had to da as it was before our themes came out

• Advertisement

As far as I can recall (woah, a whole year back... =P), support study sheets show where you got your inspiration, and prepwork sheets show how you developed your ideas.
    So basically, on your support study sheets put down work by OTHER people/do a study of a famous artist who is relevant to what you're doing (ie, my project was on Surrealism, so I did Dali... even though I kind of hate his work, I just pretended to adore him) and give little explanations perhaps of how it's relevant.
    I remember sticking down really beautiful watercolour paintings because I was using watercolours, and getting images that I may have used as "inspiration" (ie similar objects in the pictures) for my painting/poster, the like.
    Some people use other mediums like poems and songs and stories as far as I can recall. Though, sticking down a block of text is less visually pleasing than a page covered in drawings, so I stayed away from that.

For prepwork it'd just be like... put down preliminary sketches and more detailed versions of objects in your pieces and alternate ideas and, for some reason, people in my school draw pictures of the tools they used. I wrote explanations behind the symbolism in my pictures since they made little sense otherwise.

Stuff like that. =P

Advertisement