Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Nolan to declare for Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I also agree. However, i watched an interview with him on sky and he mentioned that if he's not picked for the WC he'll reaccess the situation.

So we'd be his team to fall back on... thats exactly what Ireland need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I also agree. However, i watched an interview with him on sky and he mentioned that if he's not picked for the WC he'll reaccess the situation.

He is not welcome to play for Ireland, end of, we have listened to him the last few season about how proud he would be to play for this country, England, just becasue he aont getting into the squad is it ok to jump onto the ireland bandwagon just so he gets international experience so his next contract will be that few grand more

he is not welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So we'd be his team to fall back on... thats exactly what Ireland need.

Hey that's reality whether you like it or not.

We have to decide do we want a team of the best players that we can possibly assemble or just people with grá for Ireland. In an ideal world it would be the latter but realistically that is less likely to get us to the finals of tournaments than the former.

John Alridge (to name but one) didn't want to play for us either and used us as his 'fall back' too but I think I can speak for most of us in that his commitment for us was never in doubt once he actually was an Ireland player.

I'd take Nolan if we could get him but my own feeling is that he'll be an England player in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So would all the fans here sacrifice the 2 world cups and European championship experiences if it meant we never had a non-irishman play for Ireland?

Would you sacrifice qualification for the next EC in favour of Nolan playing for Ireland?

psi wrote:
    Would you sacrifice qualification for the next EC in favour of Nolan playing for Ireland?

Why would we have to sacrifice? people on here want to get the quick easy option of a renegade from the England team cause he cant get his place. What about Whelan? O'Brien etc who are all busting a gut in the U21 only to get to the Full team to find the role they have worked towards now has some old England squad player so they are thrown onto the scrap heap? then in 2 years time everyone will be on here again saying that it is terrible that Ireland cant prodiuce good young talent

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why would we have to sacrifice?
    In previous cases the majority of our squad were non-irish players who would have played for scotland/england.
    people on here want to get the quick easy option of a renegade from the England team cause he cant get his place. What about Whelan? O'Brien etc who are all busting a gut in the U21 only to get to the Full team to find the role they have worked towards now has some old England squad player so they are thrown onto the scrap heap? then in 2 years time everyone will be on here again saying that it is terrible that Ireland cant prodiuce good young talent

Because (A) I'm not convinced Whelan is good enough (nor are 20 Premiership managers its seems) and (B) we need more than 2/3 players for 2 positions. We need a good squad.

psi wrote:
    Because (A) I'm not convinced Whelan is good enough (nor are 20 Premiership managers its seems) and (B) we need more than 2/3 players for 2 positions. We need a good squad.

Whlean had a great season last year, Keegan wanted to keep him but he moved to Shef Wed to get regular football, he started great this season but because of injury problem he was more or less running the team and becasue of this was made captain, after this the pressure go to him and his form went, along with Shef Wed league position. He is starting to get his form back,

Also on 90% of the U21 games he has ran the midfield including the last game. Noaln hasn't even got a game in the U21's.

We have the 2 Reids, Whelan, O'Brien, Kilbane, Duff, etc all in midfield.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Whlean had a great season last year, Keegan wanted to keep him but he moved to Shef Wed to get regular football, he started great this season but because of injury problem he was more or less running the team and becasue of this was made captain, after this the pressure go to him and his form went, along with Shef Wed league position. He is starting to get his form back,
    And still no sign of a premiership move. Its nice that he has support, but if he was good enough, he'd be in the prem.

Also on 90% of the U21 games he has ran the midfield including the last game.
    Poor opposition.
    Noaln hasn't even got a game in the U21's.
    But is captain of his top half premiership team :rolleyes:
    We have the 2 Reids, Whelan, O'Brien, Kilbane, Duff, etc all in midfield.
    We have 1 Reid, Whelan, O'Brien, Miller Kavanagh and Kilbane in Central Midfield.

Of those players O'Brien is mostly used as a full back (Nolan has the central midfield in the same team) and of the rest only Steven Reid is of the same standard.

Your still missing the main question. You claim not to want to see the Irish team play non-Irish players.

Would you then have prefered if we hadn't have had the core non-irish players in the 80's and 90's if it meant we wouldn't go to the competition finals.

In otherwords, in the past we got to the finals on the success of our granny rule players, if you accept those successes, why not future ones or do you conveniently wish to forget about that.

psi wrote:
    And still no sign of a premiership move. Its nice that he has support, but if he was good enough, he'd be in the prem.

Yeah wait till he gets a season in the Championship, you will see his best next year, he is still very young
    psi wrote:
    Poor opposition.

Thats why France, Portugal etc have all built great sides based on ther eU21 squads. How come the rest of europe can bring thru the majority of there U21 squads and do great things but according to Irish people who have a good record in under-age tournaments see this as poor opposition. I bet when Figo, Rui Costa, Ronaldo, Zidane, Henry, Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne etc didnt see there underage careers as playing against poor opposition
    psi wrote:
    But is captain of his top half premiership team :rolleyes:

Thats true, but ever since the first mention of Ireland he has cleary stated he doesnt want to play for Ireland.
    psi wrote:
    We have 1 Reid, Whelan, O'Brien, Miller Kavanagh and Kilbane in Central Midfield.

Andy Reid and Stephen Reid are the same person?
    psi wrote:
    Of those players O'Brien is mostly used as a full back (Nolan has the central midfield in the same team) and of the rest only Steven Reid is of the same standard.

O'Brien is a midfield player and was brillant when playing with Whelan in the middle of the park last season for Shef Wed. He is only playing in that position because of an injury problem and he has shown what he is capable of playing in the PL, if the manager asks you when your that young if you will play out of position you would say yes.
    psi wrote:
    Your still missing the main question. You claim not to want to see the Irish team play non-Irish players.

Would you then have prefered if we hadn't have had the core non-irish players in the 80's and 90's if it meant we wouldn't go to the competition finals.

In otherwords, in the past we got to the finals on the success of our granny rule players, if you accept those successes, why not future ones or do you conveniently wish to forget about that.

Well teh last WC they was very few players I would say came on teh Granny rule, before that in 94 and 90 I was a bit young to understand it all but was proud of the team of course because I am Irish, but I would rather see a full team of Irish people that a team of reject from the England team that are only playing because they can't get a game for the England team, I dont mind player born in england, my bro was born over in England and I wouldnt say he is english? would you?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah wait till he gets a season in the Championship, you will see his best next year, he is still very young
    He's 22 which is young, yes - but there are other players rated and spotted younger or similar age. You don't hear of many top clubs touting Whelan.
    Thats why France, Portugal etc have all built great sides based on ther eU21 squads. How come the rest of europe can bring thru the majority of there U21 squads and do great things
    The majority? Maybe 3-4 countries do but they all have better leagues and better grassroots systems.
    but according to Irish people who have a good record in under-age tournaments see this as poor opposition. I bet when Figo, Rui Costa, Ronaldo, Zidane, Henry, Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne etc didnt see there underage careers as playing against poor opposition
    Every player there played for a strong club team from a young age. How many of their teamm mates at U21 can you name that are full internationals? Without Google. How many players can you name that they played against in U21 Qualifiers?

Andy Reid and Stephen Reid are the same person?
    Andy can't play centre mid. He can play between the front players and central midfield but in no way would I put him near 2 man central field.

O'Brien is a midfield player and was brillant when playing with Whelan in the middle of the park last season for Shef Wed. He is only playing in that position because of an injury problem and he has shown what he is capable of playing in the PL, if the manager asks you when your that young if you will play out of position you would say yes.
    And the player taking up one of the positions that he wanst to play in is Nolan. Ergo, Nolan, for now, is a better option.

Well teh last WC they was very few players I would say came on teh Granny rule, before that in 94 and 90 I was a bit young to understand it all but was proud of the team of course because I am Irish, but I would rather see a full team of Irish people that a team of reject from the England team that are only playing because they can't get a game for the England team, I dont mind player born in england, my bro was born over in England and I wouldnt say he is english? would you?
    You're brother certainly is, if he considers himself so, but what about Houghton and Aldridge? Townsend?

So you are then saying that historically, you would rather these players be left out of the irish team? You'd rather that someone like Houghton, who didn't even know he was eligible for Ireland until told and had no previous desire to play for Ireland, had been omitted? Is that what you are saying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

psi wrote:
    Andy can't play centre mid. He can play between the front players and central midfield but in no way would I put him near 2 man central field.

I bet you dont watch any football outside the PL. Andy Reid played central midfield for Notts Forest in a two man system and was one of the best, if not the best, players in the division. Dont comment on things you dont know your facts about.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I bet you dont watch any football outside the PL. Andy Reid played central midfield for Notts Forest in a two man system and was one of the best, if not the best, players in the division.

I'm a Forest supporter and no he didn't.

The players and system were set up so either he had one man in front of him and two behind him or that he had a three man midfield behind him.

He never played in a conventional structured 442 in central midfield. At least not in games we were winning :(
    Dont comment on things you dont know your facts about.

*cough* Irony*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

seriously would you prefer Kevin "The Donkey" Kilbane, who can't even score on an open goal, or Kavanagh, who imho has never had a good game for ireland, than Kevin Nolan. He seems like a man who will put his heart and soul into wherever he plays.

but realistically if big sam gets the england job he will be called up - thats wht he is really waiting to find out. Otherwise he will be playing for us and i would love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

While all you lads are arguing about whether or not he should be picked you're forgetting that FIFA won't allow him to play for Ireland. They opened the window for a certain period of time and then closed it. They realised there was certain cases that were unfair such as Tim Cahill's position regarding Australia. They set a time frame for a reason to rectify the situation and then closed it once everyone knew where they stood. Why set a timespan if they were going to let players change their minds further down the road?

J Lloyd Samual tried to play for Trinidad in the World Cup this summer but FIFA told him to feck off because he has already played for England Under 21's. What makes you think that it will be any different with Nolan?? Is it because John Delaney is on the case?? :) "Sorry lads eh, we didn't know. Sure yiz will let us away with it. I'll buy you a Guinness, c'mon it'll be grand."

Kevin Nolan will never play for Ireland because he is not eligible

Personally I'm glad. He made his true intentions clear from the start. He wants to play for England and fair play to him I hope he gets on their squad. We have enough decent young lads coming through, we don't need the England cast-offs anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hope you are correct. If Kevin Nolan gets a cap for Ireland I will never, ever watch or support the team again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I find that highly unlikely. Why? Because of 1 player?

Tony Cascarino was adopted...he hadn't a single drop of Irish blood in him, but was a constant feature in our strike force for years...

Half of the English lads who play for us only do it because they accept they wont get in the English squad..

I would like to see him play for Ireland because he is a fantastic player and I believe he would be just as commited as every other player on the pitch. Although that mightn't have been the case in the past, if he finaly decided to play for us I think he would get into it 100% ... it's the type of player he is...

Anyway, if he did play for us, I think it wouldn't be until the next WC campagin...he'll probably wait for another qualifying campagin with a new English manager and see if he gets into the squad for the qualifiers or the finals...if not, he'll probably declare for Ireland. (hopefully)

And, as far as I know, I think the 2004 rule applied to players who had played at underage level could declare for a different country, and from then on, if you played for a U21 team, you could only play for that country at senior level....but I don't think it's retrospective, and nolan hasn't played for England U21s in 2005 or 2006, so I think he may still be eligable...but I'm open to correction on that one...:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I just heard an interview with Steve Staunton on Off The Ball where Staunton has stated that he has been actively seeking Nolan to declare to play for us. He said he is waiting for Nolan to reach a decision and Stan will be contacting him again soon.

What do you guys think of this? I for one dont really want to see Nolan in the squad.

Never want to see him near the squad, my points are made above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really wanted him to declare before, but now that hes made it clear he doesn't particularly want to and will do anything for a place in englands squad, i dont particularly want him. No fault to him, he considers himself english thru and thru so fair fúcks. I dont mind someone english declaring for ireland so long as they actually want to play for ireland and not just any national team they qualify for. Eg, would be happy out for Trundle to get a call up as he has made it clear Ireland is the country he would like to represent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I do want him in the squad... hes a great player.

all this anti-irish grandparent or english cast-offs is just crazy.

If it wasnt for 'anti-irish grandparent' or 'english' cast-offs - we would have never been at a world cup nor had great results against England '90 (Kevin Sheedy), Italy '94 (Ray Houghton), Holland '01 (Jason McAteer), Cameroon '01(Matt Holland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

looks like there 2 separate camps in thw anti-nolan for ireland side of things.

yhe ones who dont want him because he's a english cast-off/grandparents type of thing

and

those like me, who don;t care that he's english or not good enough to get into the england team. whats annoying me is that he's trying to have his cake and eat it. he is has made it clear that he really really wants to play for england. so..ireland is like his second chance sunday.

i've no prob with english born players in the squad. they have desire and pride in the shirt. but that don't seem to be the case with nolan, though i guess we're not privvy to all the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he feels Irish, I'm happy for him to play.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Never want to see him near the squad, my points are made above

You mean the point where you imply you wish Ireland never had any success in international tournaments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

who wants a player who doesn't really want to play for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

he seems the type that whatever team he plays for he'll put 110% into it. If he wants to, then sure, why not, we're all only as Irish as we think we are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

but if he's turned us down so many times, his heart won't be in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

astrofool wrote:
    we're all only as Irish as we think we are :)

I'm Brazillian so! :)

Do you not think this makes a mockery of the whole international game, and gives the two fingers to people who would genuinely love to play for their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He's English. That's where his heart is. Don't want to see him play for us, simply because we're a sort of last resort.

psi wrote:
    You mean the point where you imply you wish Ireland never had any success in international tournaments?

Get real will you. My point is that I don't want a pile of English cast offs in the Irish squad. Seriously does nobody these days know what the word Patriotism is? people have died for years to fight for the Irish flag and what happens now? any gobs**t that wants says he is Irish and we all say "yeah come on in". Its a joke to be honest, I am proud to be Irish and proud of our history, I don't want people playing for our country that has spent the last 3 years crying about trying to get into the England squad. If he does join the Ireland squad I will never watch a game again till he is kicked back to England. SERIOUS. I will concentrate on rugby and that will be it for Irish teams(maybe the youth teams as well).

Also I don't want the usual post of oh well such and such in 1982 was English. I don't care, when those players where in the Irish squad I was too young to voice an opinion. Now I am not and I'm not going to stand for it. Alot of people I know feel the same.

Also because this will coem up because people are too lazy to read back thru this thread I am not complaining about English born people, my bro was born in England but I wouldn't(and he would kill me) if I thought he was English, Stan has even said even thou his kids where born in England they all see themselves as Irish.

So again why should we take Nolan when we have ReidX2, Miller, Kav(dont rate him thou), Duff, O'Brien etc

Also if you are a Notts Forest fan you will know that Reid does play in the middle. Did for over 2 seasons. I watched numerous games. Not sure what your excuse was but maybe watch a few vids of games around that time and you will see him right bang in the middle of the park.

Just looked back and the 3 in the middle??? when did they ever play that? I watched 2-3 games with him playing in a 4-4-2 setup and they won all those games. Can't remember against who but I remember one of the strikers(bloke at Watford now) caught the goalkeeper out with a Robbie Keane move of wiating behind for keeper to drop the ball and then knick in and score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    my bro was born in England but I wouldn't(and he would kill me) if I thought he was English

But he is english. Why is it ok for your brother who was born in england, be Irish but not for some other guys who were born in England to be Irish. I am sure that we will be hearing from your brother on this soon ;)

If he is good enough for Ireland and he wants to play for us then despite all of the dead patriots (fair enough they died for a cause and all that and I mourn their loss and respect what they did as much as any other irish man - DeV I am sure was american btw and fought for the Irish republic (we did not have any problem with him), along with any number of other notable englishmen (who we did not kick out for being english) who fought for a free Ireland), he should get a game.

• Advertisement

But he is english. Why is it ok for your brother who was born in england, be Irish but not for some other guys who were born in England to be Irish. I am sure that we will be hearing from your brother on this soon ;)

If he is good enough for Ireland and he wants to play for us then despite all of the dead patriots (fair enough they died for a cause and all that and I mourn their loss and respect what they did as much as any other irish man - DeV I am sure was american btw and fought for the Irish republic (we did not have any problem with him), along with any number of other notable englishmen (who we did not kick out for being english) who fought for a free Ireland), he should get a game.

Yeah my bro is English, can get a passport if he wants but doesn't want to but the difference is if he was asked which country he would want to play for you would know exactly what his answer would be after a sec. Where as Nolan has cried on TV for 3 years about playing for England.....end of story......

Big Nelly wrote:
    Get real will you. My point is that I don't want a pile of English cast offs in the Irish squad.

What about 1994? Did you cheer on Andy Townsend as captain of Ireland?

Really Nelly, look at what you wrote, dare I say it "read the thread".
    Seriously does nobody these days know what the word Patriotism is? people have died for years to fight for the Irish flag and what happens now? any gobs**t that wants says he is Irish and we all say "yeah come on in".

I'm pretty sure that when so many Irish souls were dying for their country, they didn't have the Irish soccer team in mind, but seeing as you want that angle of drama, many, many countries, including our own (and the uber patriotic USA), are happy to offer citizenship to people who bring specialist skills to the land.

Go look at the amount of "Irish" people representing Ireland in the forefront of science and technology research.
    I honestly don't see how this is any different.

From our point of view, patriotism is supporting our country and supporting the betterment of our country's international standing. Just because you'd happily give back all Irelands achievments so we could have a "pure Irish" team in the history books, doesn't mean that some of the rest of us don't want to see our national team do well.
    Its a joke to be honest, I am proud to be Irish and proud of our history, I don't want people playing for our country that has spent the last 3 years crying about trying to get into the England squad.

Oh give it a rest, Nolan hasn't been crying about it. Alderdyce has. And let's be honest, its not always about patriotism, its often about money and business influencing young players.

Here is a question I'm sure you will dodge. If Kevin Gallen wanted to play for Ireland 6 years ago, should he have been allowed? He's Irish, his two brothers played for Ireland, but he got a youth England cap because Trevor Francis basically forced him to take an England cap.

If he does join the Ireland squad I will never watch a game again till he is kicked back to England. SERIOUS. I will concentrate on rugby and that will be it for Irish teams(maybe the youth teams as well).

In my opinion if you think one more non-English born player is such a big deal and begrudge us our previous success, you're not much of a fan anyway so it won't be a great loss.
    Also I don't want the usual post of oh well such and such in 1982 was English. I don't care, when those players where in the Irish squad I was too young to voice an opinion. Now I am not and I'm not going to stand for it. Alot of people I know feel the same.
    Read the thread.

Were you too young in 1994?

Also because this will coem up because people are too lazy to read back thru this thread I am not complaining about English born people,
    Really? "kicked back to England" and "all the people who died for our country".

Hrmm, no seems like you have nothing against the english. :rolleyes:

You only have to read through the post for that.
    my bro was born in England but I wouldn't(and he would kill me) if I thought he was English, Stan has even said even thou his kids where born in England they all see themselves as Irish.
    Many Irish players have said that, many haven't. If Nolan can take an Irish passport, he's entitled to play for Ireland.

So you don't think your brother should be "kicked back to England then"? You know there are probably a few Irish nationalist groups who do. How do you feel about those groups?
    So again why should we take Nolan when we have ReidX2, Miller, Kav(dont rate him thou), Duff, O'Brien etc
    Cos he's better than all but Duff.
    Also if you are a Notts Forest fan you will know that Reid does play in the middle. Did for over 2 seasons. I watched numerous games. Not sure what your excuse was but maybe watch a few vids of games around that time and you will see him right bang in the middle of the park.

Well, if (as you are so fond of saying) actually bothered to read back through the thread (hey, do you purposely not take your own advice?) then you would see that I said he never played in a conventional 442 in the centre.

There was always a system that covered his defensive weaknesses. In fact, the system was more a very flexible 4311/442. Of course, if you read through the thread you'd see people saying "don't post about stuff you don't know".
    Just looked back and the 3 in the middle??? when did they ever play that? I watched 2-3 games with him playing in a 4-4-2 setup and they won all those games. Can't remember against who but I remember one of the strikers(bloke at Watford now) caught the goalkeeper out with a Robbie Keane move of wiating behind for keeper to drop the ball and then knick in and score

Like I said, you weren't watching very well so. Depending on the various state of teh Forest team at the time (especially when we had the likes of Sonner there) the team played to allow Reid to break forward (or go out wide) as required by pulling the two so-called wide midfielders into the centre allowing one to drop back and cover. Mind you, I'm sure you being you, will insist that you know more about this (and everything) than anyone, if you want, you can go back and read through the threads I' posted on about forest in this forum before now.

psi wrote:
    Were you too young in 1994?

In 94 the only thing I was worried about was sneaking a drink in the local because I was only about 16 so getting a drink and a bit of a tumble in the hay with some young one was about all I worried about:D

Rest I'm not going to bother replying to cause Im busy in office, new job on Monday and all.......again if you want to support the England B team and stop the development of young Irish players by all means you can support them. I for one will not allow that to happen and if it does I will not watch it.

Watch a rugby game and see true spirt and Patriotism is....oh yeah whisper it....there is English players on that team as well:D they have english passport but I bet if you ask any of the Ulster/NI players on that team they will certainly say they are Irish and never wanted to play on an England team........looking at the atitude of you and numerous other people on this thread to be honest it disgusts me the atitude of Irish people these days. No respect for there country...but thats my opinion and everyone is entitled to there......if it does happen the only time you will see me back at Landsdown will be for the rugby.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    In 94 the only thing I was worried about was sneaking a drink in the local because I was only about 16 so getting a drink and a bit of a tumble in the hay with some young one was about all I worried about:D
    :eek: you're 28ish? :eek:

Big Nelly wrote:

Rest I'm not going to bother replying to cause Im busy in office, new job on Monday and all.......again if you want to support the England B team and stop the development of young Irish players by all means you can support them. I for one will not allow that to happen and if it does I will not watch it.

Watch a rugby game and see true spirt and Patriotism is....oh yeah whisper it....there is English players on that team as well:D they have english passport but I bet if you ask any of the Ulster/NI players on that team they will certainly say they are Irish and never wanted to play on an England team........looking at the atitude of you and numerous other people on this thread to be honest it disgusts me the atitude of Irish people these days. No respect for there country...but thats my opinion and everyone is entitled to there......if it does happen the only time you will see me back at Landsdown will be for the rugby.....
    Yeah, I figured you'd post some "I'm too busy but here is a glancing pro-patriotism rebuke" type post. I just wasn't sure whether it was because you don't possess the wherewithall to actually mount a coherent counter-argument or whether you just use this forum to blather out posts without actualy taking on board any opinion other than whats already engrained in your own head.

I think your inability to answer, for whatever reason, pretty much adds all the credence to your argument that I require.

psi wrote:
    Yeah, I figured you'd post some "I'm too busy but here is a glancing pro-patriotism rebuke" type post. I just wasn't sure whether it was because you don't possess the wherewithall to actually mount a coherent counter-argument or whether you just use this forum to blather out posts without actualy taking on board any opinion other than whats already engrained in your own head.

I think your inability to answer, for whatever reason, pretty much adds all the credence to your argument that I require.

Your arguement is Nolan should play for Ireland, mine is he shouldn't. Have shown my reason why in numerous posts on this thread....your the one that seems to have a problem because I have disagreed with you, thats your problem...not mine. As mentioned if he plays I will not go to watch a game, you can.....end of story

p.pete wrote:
    :eek: you're 28ish? :eek:

You a maths teacher!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    You a maths teacher!:p
    You a english teacher!:p

Big Nelly wrote:
    Your arguement is Nolan should play for Ireland, mine is he shouldn't. Have shown my reason why in numerous posts on this thread....your the one that seems to have a problem because I have disagreed with you, thats your problem...not mine. As mentioned if he plays I will not go to watch a game, you can.....end of story

No, I questioned the reasoning behind your arguments with several points which you have yet to counter or even acknowledge. (this is, by the way, what is commonly referred to as "debate & discussion" as opposed to just "saying stuff").

I have no problem with you holding an opposing view. I'm even open to you convincing me that my view is wrong. However, so far all you have done is spouted a slight anti-english rhetoric masquerading as patriotism (and no matter how much you cover it up with touching stories about your brother, there is some anti-english sentiment there) with some not very consistent points of view.

So if you want to live in your bubble where its your view versus mine, thats fine refer us back to the thread continuously, because that, it seems, is the sum power of your skills in an adult discussion with opposing views. If however, you actually feel your points have any value whatsoever, be man enough to stand up for them with some debate.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    No, I questioned the reasoning behind your arguments with several points which you have yet to counter or even acknowledge. (this is, by the way, what is commonly referred to as "debate & discussion" as opposed to just "saying stuff").

I have no problem with you holding an opposing view. I'm even open to you convincing me that my view is wrong. However, so far all you have done is spouted a slight anti-english rhetoric masquerading as patriotism (and no matter how much you cover it up with touching stories about your brother, there is some anti-english sentiment there) with some not very consistent points of view.

So if you want to live in your bubble where its your view versus mine, thats fine refer us back to the thread continuously, because that, it seems, is the sum power of your skills in an adult discussion with opposing views. If however, you actually feel your points have any value whatsoever, be man enough to stand up for them with some debate.

jesus can you not read??? I have wrote it numerous times....seeing as you can't read I don't want Nolan to play for Ireland because he has already made it clear that it is his dream to play for England....is that ok? want me to retype again?

Again I don't have any anti english blah blah blah....was waiting for someone to call me a racist next, think all my english work mates would be a bit miffied if they thought I was anti english...also if so anti english why was I ready to go and work there this year till a nice handy number came up in Ireland??? would prob be living over there now but I have a kid here.....so quit with all your "oh he is anti english" bulls**t

Big Nelly wrote:
    jesus can you not read??? I have wrote it numerous times....seeing as you can't read I don't want Nolan to play for Ireland because he has already made it clear that it is his dream to play for England....is that ok? want me to retype again?

You not wanting him, doesn't equate to "he shouldn't" and again you managed to skip around lots of points made to you about 1994, Townsend, Holland, Morrison and Kevin Gallen. In fact, you didn't strict to that point, you went off on some tangent about people who died for our country.

Maybe you should read the thread. Start with your own posts.
    Again I don't have any anti english blah blah blah....was waiting for someone to call me a racist next, think all my english work mates would be a bit miffied if they thought I was anti english...also if so anti english why was I ready to go and work there this year till a nice handy number came up in Ireland??? would prob be living over there now but I have a kid here.....so quit with all your "oh he is anti english" bulls**t

So comments like "kicked back to england" and about all the dead irish patriots were somehow relevant without an anti-english sentiment. Your anecdotes are touching, but don't hide anything.

psi wrote:
    You not wanting him, doesn't equate to "he shouldn't" and again you managed to skip around lots of points made to you about 1994, Townsend, Holland, Morrison and Kevin Gallen. In fact, you didn't strict to that point, you went off on some tangent about people who died for our country.

First of all what does 94 got to do with Nolan???? NOTHING. I know about Gallen, he was presuaded to play for England, then when that didn't work out said he wanted to play for Ireland and applied for the team using that rule a season or two ago but he is not good enought to play for Ireland so why you constantly mention him is beyond me??? he is not good enough and has been no where near the squad so you can't compare the two.
    psi wrote:
    So comments like "kicked back to england" and about all the dead irish patriots were somehow relevant without an anti-english sentiment. Your anecdotes are touching, but don't hide anything.

Yeah I hate the English, I would blow them all up....really I couldn't be arsed anymore replying to crap like this. You keep telling yourself the only reason anyone would want to see Nolan play for Ireland is because we all hate the english if it keeps you happy. Some people actually use there brains on this forum and don't just try and put someones point down by calling them racist etc.

Im not replying to this anymore if all you can say is "oh you hate the english blah blah blah"....if I wanted to read posts liek that I would have my 5 year old son post on here. Would prob make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Big Nelly wrote:
    if I wanted to read posts liek that I would have my 5 year old son post on here.
    Has he not already?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Has he not already?

Nah he has too much cop on to come onto boards.......:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    First of all what does 94 got to do with Nolan???? NOTHING. I know about Gallen, he was presuaded to play for England, then when that didn't work out said he wanted to play for Ireland and applied for the team using that rule a season or two ago but he is not good enought to play for Ireland so why you constantly mention him is beyond me??? he is not good enough and has been no where near the squad so you can't compare the two.

If you bothered to read the thread, I made the points on what 94 and Gallen have to do with Nolan, or rather your dismissal of Nolan.

You're either purposly missing the point or unableto comprehend it.

Why don't you read the thread?

Yeah I hate the English, I would blow them all up....really I couldn't be arsed anymore replying to crap like this. You keep telling yourself the only reason anyone would want to see Nolan play for Ireland is because we all hate the english if it keeps you happy. Some people actually use there brains on this forum and don't just try and put someones point down by calling them racist etc.

And now I must question your ability to read. At no point did I call you a racist, so I will kindly ask you not to put words in my mouth.

You did make several comments, that were leaning towards anti-english.

"kick them back to england" may be a perfectly acceptable phrase where you're from, though, so who knows.

Im not replying to this anymore if all you can say is "oh you hate the english blah blah blah"....if I wanted to read posts liek that I would have my 5 year old son post on here. Would prob make more sense.

How convenient.

Also, if you actually believe that "all I can say is...etc etc" then I would suggest that you firstly check that you possess the ability to read and comprehend, and then if you do then perhaps you should go and READ THE THREAD.

• Advertisement

Another wasted page of posting. Read it again. Kevin Nolan will never play for Ireland, he is not qualified. I'm 100% sure of this.

J Lloyd Samual tried to Trinidad and was told to hop it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4412024.stm

His case has the exact same characteristics as Nolan's. What makes you think FIFA won't allow Samual to play for Trinidad but will allow Nolan to play for Ireland?

Previous post:

While all you lads are arguing about whether or not he should be picked you're forgetting that FIFA won't allow him to play for Ireland. They opened the window for a certain period of time and then closed it. They realised there was certain cases that were unfair such as Tim Cahill's position regarding Australia. They set a time frame for a reason to rectify the situation and then closed it once everyone knew where they stood. Why set a timespan if they were going to let players change their minds further down the road?

J Lloyd Samual tried to play for Trinidad in the World Cup this summer but FIFA told him to feck off because he has already played for England Under 21's. What makes you think that it will be any different with Nolan?? Is it because John Delaney is on the case?? :) "Sorry lads eh, we didn't know. Sure yiz will let us away with it. I'll buy you a Guinness, c'mon it'll be grand."

Personally I'm glad. He made his true intentions clear from the start. He wants to play for England and fair play to him I hope he gets on their squad. We have enough decent young lads coming through, we don't need the England cast-offs anymore.

Im not 100% sure he cant play for ireland, just did quick bit of searching
    "His non-selection for the national team has prompted interest from the Republic of Ireland coach Steve Staunton, particularly as his one Under-21 cap came in a friendly"

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1730836,00.html

Talk about blinkered eyes. I'm more interested in this quote, which is in the very same sentence!!!
    though an appearance in a European Under-18s Championships qualifier currently ties the Liverpudlian to England.

He's played competitve football at under age level for England. He is not eligable to play for any other teams according to FIFA rules.

yes i did read that, which i why i said im not 100% sure he cant play for ireland. I.e. theres a small chance he can. Im quite positive that on appeal FIFA would take a 17 year olds decision of nationality in competitive matches far less seriously then a 21 year olds. Ones a kid, the others an adult.

Do you really think Staunton would be wasting his time scouting him and mentioning him if it was a definate impossibility? I know he doesn't come across as the brightest spark, but i very much doubt him and the team around him are that stupid. Maybe he cant, but maybe, just maybe, its possible he can.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    yes i did read that, which i why i said im not 100% sure he cant play for ireland. I.e. theres a small chance he can. Im quite positive that on appeal FIFA would take a 17 year olds decision of nationality in competitive matches far less seriously then a 21 year olds. Ones a kid, the others an adult.

That's why FIFA brought in the one year amnesty period, for youngsters that felt like they made the wrong decision. Nolan didn't change his mind during this period and now that period is closed. He had his chance to change his mind but by not acting he chose England.

J Lloyd Samual also didn't act during the amnesty period. He could have declared for Trinidad but did not. FIFA won't let Samual play for Trinidad and they won't let Nolan play for Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement