Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test question

Options
  • 17-11-2005 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭

I need some advise please!!! Due to unforseen circumstances in the tax office(:rolleyes: )I've been without my prov car licence for 2 months and only jst got the licence back. I've gotten a letter to say my car test is in 1 month but I can't drive the car that well - i started lessons in June! I'm ok at changing gears and had I even graduated to doing a turnabout at my last lesson before I put them on hold to get the bike test out of the way. Do you reckon with a bunch of lessons I could pass!? I know it's down to the individual but in theory could it be possible?!:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Of course you can, if you really want it.

The RAC for example , does intensive 2 week courses for people that HAVE to pass the test ASAP, if you can afford it would go for something like that.

Why didnt you continue to drive after having lessons?, they are totally wasted, as a learner driver myself..every day not behind the wheel means its another day the skills are not becoming second nature, which they need to be.

Get a LOT of lessons and time behind the wheel and you might just do it..

Do the test regardless..it'll be another year or more before you can sit another..and at least you might get some good pointers from your tester.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks Longfield! I passed my bike test and had to send the provisional to the tax office - they basically lost my application a few times so I had no prov licence to continue doing the lessons!! I'm actually doing lessons with RAC - i'm dying to get out in the car now and see what he thinks my chances are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

To put it bluntly .
    -You will fail!!!-
    If you cant change gears properly on a different car , youre not at one with the car , like one of those 'dummy drivers' in their micras or whatever.
    People capable of driving that i know and that i feel safe driving with have failed.
    Basically if your askin this question you will fail.
    if you dont , well i'll be plesentley surprised ..(at how bad driving testers are)

Sorry , but it just doesnt sound like you have it in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A few lessons in short succession, and two pretests on the week of the test, you'll be fine. Since you've already passed your bike test you should have sufficient roadcraft, it's just mastering the technical you need to accomplish.

Practice as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    A few lessons in short succession, and two pretests on the week of the test, you'll be fine. Since you've already passed your bike test you should have sufficient roadcraft, it's just mastering the technical you need to accomplish.

Practice as much as you can.

Agree, but I would go with Longfield's suggestion to go for an intensive week long course (full time if possible) now and then see where you are after that. You might need another one or you might just need a few more lessons and lots of practice

It is still very possible to get your license in time, tk123, especially if you keep up the positive attitude :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm booked in for a lesson on Thursday so I'll see what the instructor says. Unless he says no way I'm def going to go for it - i have nothing to loose and if I fail at least i'll have a test sheet to say where I went wrong to work against the next time!

Advertisement