Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not sure what to believe

• 17-11-2005 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

right, the story is: last week while on MSN Messenger I got a message from one of by best girl-friends. it turned out not to be her, but her sister using her account. she told me the girl died. at first I was like "you're pulling my leg" but after a little while it began to sink in. I was in shock.

the first thing I said after about a minutes pause was "I can't remember what the last thing I said to her was". but the sister said "oh she told me, she said the last thing you said to her was 'I'll brb, I have to make the dinner'. doubt set in again. I mean I know some siblings tell each other everything, but telling someone that?

so I asked some more personal questions, but not in an obvious way. I mean I didn't say "well what's my favourite colour" or anything like that. and she knew everything. so I am plagued by doubts.

I mean at this stage which would be better? she being alive and all this being a big joke, or her actually being dead? if it were the former I would not talk to her again, which is understandable. but if it is the latter I will not be able to talk to her again.

does anyone have any advise on what I could do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

do you see her often, would it have been noticeable if she had died?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

do you have a phone number for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ask them when the funeral is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Jesus, if it is indeed a joke, it's truly sick. I don't believe that people would inform their friends and family of a death in the family over MSN Messenger, it's just ridiculous to be honest, grieving family members do that sort of thing over the phone or in person, I would ring up this supposedley dead person if I were in your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Marts wrote:
    "I can't remember what the last thing I said to her was". but the sister said "oh she told me, she said the last thing you said to her was 'I'll brb, I have to make the dinner'.

:eek: What a horrible "joke" to play on someone. It sounds as if she hasn't "died", but extremely bored and perhaps unhappy... and has decided to liven things up a bit by posing as her sister and pretending that she has died.... gosh, how exciting! I'm guessing she's quite young, am I right?

An unfortunate a by-product in her little game are your emotions, you do sound like you're genuinely in turmoil about this situation.

But back to her comment... I just find that a startling thing to say - I mean, even if her sister had died, and she was mourning, and trying to find comfort by talking to her deceased sibling's friends, why would she pass that terribly dark, callous and frankly, mean comment instead of saying something along the lines of "don't think about the last thing you shared, think about all the things you shared"?

Anyway, as for advice... just block the girl and move on. It'll be very difficult, especially as you don't know the full story, but it'll be for the best for you.

Actually, if you want to know the full stroy...if you know what town she lives in, perhaps you could look up the Death announcements in her local paper. Failing that, I think that the Indo runs nationwide death announcements, but I don't know if they have a searchable archive on their site. Actually, try www.loadza.ie - there might be one there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

maybe she thinks your a twat and doesnt want to talk to you anymore so is saying that shes dead so you wont message her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

maybe she thinks your a twat and doesnt want to talk to you anymore so is saying that shes dead so you wont message her again.
    Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

if she is a "best girlfriend" text her or mention it to some other mutual mates.....my boyfriends friends girlfriend (sorry confusing) told my bf that his friend (her bf) was in hospital, he was really upset and about to go to beaumount when she turned around and said she was messing - some people just find doing that amusing!

if it is a joke - yeah dont talk to her anymore, if not - that is a really weird way to tell people your sister is dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well I don't have her phone number, she lives in America. and she's not that young, she's 17.
    no, we were very close friends. she showed no sign of dislike towards me. and even if she did, what kind of person would do that instead of just blocking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

try emailing her? if it is a joke then you are better off rid of someone like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

maybe she wanted to see your reaction *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This is insane. If it's a joke, stay the **** away from this psychopath!

If it's not a joke, well, it's certainly a strange way to tell you... and via the dead persons messenger account... weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

It's not a joke... the girl is obviously a mental case!!..... there is no way her sister could have known that that was the last thing you had said to her!!...
    ..... what I think you should do is make up a new id and start chatting to her as a different person!... You will find out for sure straight away because if its her sister then she will obviously bring it up in conversation!!
    .... There are a lot of sick people on the net!!.. seriously... she was probably doing it to hear you say loads of nice things about her!... What a lunatic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

Just a general point.
    MSN messenger so *if* (and a very big *if*) she died, her sister could simply have read through logs. That said, if this girl is telling the truth and her sister really did die would the first thing she do be go on MSN??? I have my doubts.

I would somehow agree with the theory that the girl is alive and she's doing this to see what you say about her.

I presume you at least have this girl's first/last name and location. That should be enough to track her down.

In any case good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Sounds like a nutcase to me.

It would've been easier for her to block you, if she wanted to stop having conversations with you. I'd block her if you haven't already.

Thought about this a little more... I think she's alive and mental, no way would someone use a dead persons msn account to break the news to others. She said what she said to try and garner sympathy from you or to see how you would react if she did die, it's truly disturbing that someone would do that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Id call around with flowers and a card, is that not the standard procedure when a "friend" shuffles off this mortal coil???? If shes dead then you will have paid your respects and if shes not you can f*ck the flowers at her, tell her shes a sick b*tch and wash your hands of her...

End of

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sorry, just read that shes in america :rolleyes: But theres always interflora but that kind of defeats the purpose of calling round :confused: I dunno

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm confused as to how her sister would even have her password... Isn't that kinda important for logging on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Here's a USA-based obituary database
    http://www.big101.com/OBITUARIES101.htm
    Might find something there

• Advertisement

embraer170, she did say it was about 3/4 days before hand that her sister died

Faith, well I for one have my MSN as an auto log on, but I have XP, so there are personalised profiles. she may have let her sister know a while ago what her password to her account was

and thanks Ms Fluff, I'll have a gander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

Did the (supposedly dead) friend of yours talk about her sister much?

no, not that I can think of anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

she definitely aint dead, she's just one sick disturbed girl or could even be a boy messing around, block and delete asap! or if you send me their email address i might know someone that can get their account closed...
    remember...
    lots of sick puppies out there,
    lots of nice puppies too of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

MSN shows the last conversation you had with the person when you start a new one. it keeps a history/log of what was said! thats how she knows what the last thing you said was. its possible her little sister might have logged into her account and start playin about wit her friends, tellin everyone on her contact list that she was dead etc. though when i was a kid, most i'd do is say me brother was gay or sumtin!

u have any more conversations from this "contact"?

yeah I did, and this makes it even more unbelievable.

she ('the sister') told me that she saved me til last to tell because Hayden talked about me most. but 2 days later the account was active again. I didn't start a convo, she did, just saying "how are you holding up?" why would she keep using the account if she did what she wanted to do (tell all her sisters friends what happened)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It's an odd story. It's got to be somebody messing with you. Had you ever met her personally or was it just through chatrooms? (sorry if i missed something here)

I only knew her through chat rooms, never met up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, there you go then. The "girl" is obviously just a psycho.

• Advertisement

Marts wrote:
    yeah I did, and this makes it even more unbelievable.

[snip].... I didn't start a convo, she did, just saying "how are you holding up?"
    I agree with the rest , your leg is being pulled.
    You've never met her/him/it so you've no way of knowing who you were talking to.

why would she keep using the account if she did what she wanted to do (tell all her sisters friends what happened)
    For the laugh.

And you're worse tbh to be paying any heed to this.
    Just block the account and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That's a pretty sick joke.

If your 'friend's' alive...she has some f***ing problems to live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Enquire about the exact funeral arrangements and if you REALLY want to know whether it's true or not, verify the details...call funeral parlour etc.

Though just to throw in my two cents on this, I think she's lying...I think the sister is actually the "dead" girl and is just messing with your head. I think this because she enquired as to how you were holding up, which sounds to me like she was fishing...wanting to hear that you were still upset, blah di blah, she was such a great person, you miss her etc.

Keep us up to date on this one!

well as it turns out, it was all a big joke, I got an email saying someone hacked into her MSN account.

close the thread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just before the thread's closed...are you sure it was 'hacked'?

Could have quite easily been her using an excuse Tbh.

Or am I just a bit too untrustworthy at times? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

I still think it was her....
    ..... she just wanted to hear you say how great she was etc etc!... then she realised that now she can't speak to you anymore because she is dead and sent you the email with "oh someone hacked into her account"... how does she know this??... You didn't tell her what had happenned??? ...
    ... This girl has some seious issues!!.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just one thing....
    Marts wrote:
    right, the story is: last week while on MSN Messenger I got a message from one of by best girl-friends.
    Marts wrote:
    I only knew her through chat rooms, never met up

Eh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

BTW, wrt to your case I don't believe she was hacked and I do reckon she was 'the sister' all along. She's just taking to piss out of you. You should get phone number so that at least you have alternate avenues of communication in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Marts wrote:
    one of by best girl-friends. ............
    does anyone have any advise on what I could do?

Who you have never met, don't know where she (he/it) lives etc.:eek: :eek: :eek:

If this is one of your best friends, you have a big problem. My advice? Get out of the house, meet *real* people. Put MSN in the bin where it belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I dont beliveve for a minute it was hacked , shes a very sad young lady , Psycho Bi*ch would probably be a better explanation , right you`ve had yer leg pulled once already My advice block this user or ignore them whatever just stay the hell away from them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Laguna wrote:
    I don't believe that people would inform their friends and family of a death in the family over MSN Messenger,
    The buddy list could have friends of the deceased that you don't know yourself to inform, so that bit of it isn't that weird.

• Advertisement

well when I got the e-mail saying she got hacked I didn't believe it for a minute, I just blocked the b*tch.

and what I meant by 'best girl-friends' was internet girl-friends. I have real friends, but thanx for your concern

Marts wrote:
    well when I got the e-mail saying she got hacked I didn't believe it for a minute, I just blocked the b*tch.

and what I meant by 'best girl-friends' was internet girl-friends. I have real friends, but thanx for your concern

See, I told you she was a freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm getting the impression you only know this person on the net.

Word of advice. it's a joke, i doubt the families first reponse would be "Oh, i better let all her net friends know what happened."

Advertisement