Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Season Racing, Advise?!

Options
  • 17-11-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I've started training this winter in the hope of racing after Christmas.
    Does anyone have any general advise?

What level should I be at at this stage? I train twice a week, generally at average speeds of 20 - 25km/h. The distances have been between 40 and 90 km.

What speeds/distances do other people do?

I'm training with UCD at the moment but they're quite inconsistent with turning up and that.. I'm thinking about going along with Orwell Wheelers. Does anyone know what they're like?

Thanks, Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

I too am interested to hear advice. I am of similar speed and distances as you Harkev.
    I have Lance Armstrong's '7 weeks to the perfect ride'. It's a good read.
    If you want to improve your mountain climbing ability, concentrate on that area for 4 weeks, 4 weeks on time-trial if you want to improve with that, etc.

-If you train on mountains on Mon, flats on Tue, time-trial on Thur, you won't really improve as you could.
    -If you are on a flat stretch of road, do 100m sprints at intervals.
    -Take one foot off pedal and sprint using only one foot, then switch.

Where abouts are Orwell Wheelers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

Orwell are based in Dundrum in Dublin...
    According to the website spins are Saturdays and Sundays at 930 usually starting in Dundrum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Don't forget your jock-strap for that razor blade saddle. And shave your legs....Unless you're a woman....That's what road racers have bicycles for, isn't it? An excuse to shave your legs and wear tights! :D

Just kidding. No I'm not.

Gil
    (Mountain biker)

EDIT: I'm actually just kidding, really! Friendly rivalry between the disciplines is tradition, just in case anyone thinks I'm being an arse. Then again, maybe I am. Ah well, no harm in me really. Good luck with the first season - It's a real steep learning curve - Stay determined mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roadrash

Harkev wrote:
    I've started training this winter in the hope of racing after Christmas.
    Does anyone have any general advise?

What level should I be at at this stage? I train twice a week, generally at average speeds of 20 - 25km/h. The distances have been between 40 and 90 km.

What speeds/distances do other people do?

I'm training with UCD at the moment but they're quite inconsistent with turning up and that.. I'm thinking about going along with Orwell Wheelers. Does anyone know what they're like?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

At this time of year you should be concentrating on getting lots of base miles completed which will prepare you for more vigerous training at the the beginning of next year.

During the week you could do a spin to Howth and back which should be about 50k or so from UCD, you could make it slightly longer by riding to the Loughlinstown roundabout and back first as a warm up.

Try and get a longer spin in over the weekend, 100k would be good. These long rides can be quite boaring by yourself so join a club. Orwell is an excellent club with all different standars of riders from people who compete in the ras to purely leisure cyclists. Dave Tansey is the man to talk to, he works in Joe Daly cycles in Dundrum, give him a call.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

cheers roadrash...

I was checking out the situation with orwell today, the guy isn't too sure about the technicalities of me being a member of two clubs.. I would still like to be able to race for UCD even if I was training with Orwell. Has anybody else done anything like that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement