Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband dropping signal

• 17-11-2005 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else in the Dublin 24 area was having problems with their NTL Broadband drropping a signal for maybe a minute at a time.
    After that it resumes ok. Its getting quite annoying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FlightRisker

I just got NTL 2 days ago. Havent got it working yet! No wonder the install is free! Simialr problem as yours, I lose my connection after about 5 minutes. Then I gotta restart my computer and I got another 5 minutes. Weird thing is that MSN messanger keeps working after the internet goes.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I just got NTL 2 days ago. Havent got it working yet! No wonder the install is free! Simialr problem as yours, I lose my connection after about 5 minutes. Then I gotta restart my computer and I got another 5 minutes. Weird thing is that MSN messanger keeps working after the internet goes.

Any ideas?
    You're probably using the wrong DNS settings, that way whenever you try to connect to any sites they won't resolve but everything else that works on an IP address only (usually) basis will still say connected.

Achilles wrote:
    You're probably using the wrong DNS settings, that way whenever you try to connect to any sites they won't resolve but everything else that works on an IP address only (usually) basis will still say connected.

I've done the reapir thing in the connection setting and it does something with the DNS settings and then says its all good now. But then it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redmonda

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else in the Dublin 24 area was having problems with their NTL Broadband drropping a signal for maybe a minute at a time.
    After that it resumes ok. Its getting quite annoying.

I'm in D24 and have had no problems for many months now. I had a couple of problems a year or so back, but now I find the service rock solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Possibility 1: Are you using a wireless router ?

I had a problem with my laptop disconnecting after every 5 mins.
    A linksys cardbus adapter on the laptop, and a linksys wireless router.

I disabled the "Zero Configuration" setting on the laptop, and it worked perfectly after that.

Possibility 2: Are you using ZoneAlarm, or another firewall ?

You may have to add both the primary and secondary DNS addresses as trusted addresses. I had that problem too.

regards,
    Owen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Achilles wrote:

I know someone who had a new PC and got connected to NTL first time. It had never been on the Internet and the speed showed 20k (on a 3 Meg!). The machine would eventually disconnect. Turned out there was a file called aolascd.exe running in the background. Did you try and see what's running in the background on the PC.

This file appeared to come bundled on the PC and only reared it's head when the Internet was connected. Hope that helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

Any ideas?

If your msn is still working, then the modem is working !!!!!!!!
    Are you using a wireless router ? If possible connect the modem directly to the PC, and see do you still have a problem.

If the ready light on the modem is flashing then you're connection is lost

Hi

Cheers for all the replies but still no joy.

I've been checking it and it's always just after the 10 minute mark that the connection goes.

Did full virus and spyware scans, found 2 trojans and several pieces of spyware, removed them all but no joy. Went through a million and one different solutions with ntl tech support and no luck. Even after my Internet would go I could still ping and be pinged but ntl. They said because of this the problem is definately something on the computer and not a problem with their service so I'm on my own.

I started it up in Safe Mode and it works fine, so I figured some program must be starting up in normal mode that knocks it out.

I watched Task Manager around the 10 minute mark and saw a program called CIDAEMON.EXE starts up.

Researching this show signs similar, but not exactly like what's been happening to me.

"I seem to have a problem related to CIDAEMON. When I dial my internet ISP, After connection occurs, The 'SYSTEM' cotinually uploads data ( what, and to where I don't know) and this drops the internet access to 'zero'. After running for 3 hours like this, I noticed the CIDAEMON process had the most activity... Any idea what is happening? I am running Windows 2000 Professional.
    This just started happening 3 days ago..."

and

"I have had the same problems with CIDEAMON.EXE and as someone previously stated, it kicks in when processes are low or dormant (this happens mostly when i am using textpad).
    Naturally when the processor goes crazy like this, we shut down any unwanted programs to no avail. i load realplayer as i am working on low cpu usage programs and this does the trick and shuts CIDAEMON up!!! try it"

Both from www.ask-leo.com

I tried turning this process off but it kept starting again.

This sounds like it could be what's causing it though so i thought I'd post this for other people who might be having this problem. If I can get it to stay turned off and it works I'll let ye know.

Cheers for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm guessing here but that sounds like spyware/virus problem. Do some research into CIDAEMON. I reckon that's your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Hi

Cheers for all the replies but still no joy.

I've been checking it and it's always just after the 10 minute mark that the connection goes.

Did full virus and spyware scans, found 2 trojans and several pieces of spyware, removed them all but no joy. Went through a million and one different solutions with ntl tech support and no luck. Even after my Internet would go I could still ping and be pinged but ntl. They said because of this the problem is definately something on the computer and not a problem with their service so I'm on my own.

I started it up in Safe Mode and it works fine, so I figured some program must be starting up in normal mode that knocks it out.

I watched Task Manager around the 10 minute mark and saw a program called CIDAEMON.EXE starts up.

Researching this show signs similar, but not exactly like what's been happening to me.

"I seem to have a problem related to CIDAEMON. When I dial my internet ISP, After connection occurs, The 'SYSTEM' cotinually uploads data ( what, and to where I don't know) and this drops the internet access to 'zero'. After running for 3 hours like this, I noticed the CIDAEMON process had the most activity... Any idea what is happening? I am running Windows 2000 Professional.
    This just started happening 3 days ago..."

and

"I have had the same problems with CIDEAMON.EXE and as someone previously stated, it kicks in when processes are low or dormant (this happens mostly when i am using textpad).
    Naturally when the processor goes crazy like this, we shut down any unwanted programs to no avail. i load realplayer as i am working on low cpu usage programs and this does the trick and shuts CIDAEMON up!!! try it"

Both from www.ask-leo.com

I tried turning this process off but it kept starting again.

This sounds like it could be what's causing it though so i thought I'd post this for other people who might be having this problem. If I can get it to stay turned off and it works I'll let ye know.

Cheers for your help.

sounds like reformat time !

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    sounds like reformat time !

I've been trying to avoid the "F" word but if I haven't fixed it by Friday that's what I'm doing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I've been trying to avoid the "F" word but if I haven't fixed it by Friday that's what I'm doing :(

I hate it myself but sometimes it unavoidable

You could check to see if the indexing service is running when you start your pc.
    START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>SERVICES
    Have a look when you boot up your pc, and see what the setting is for it.
    there's 3 options - Automatic-Manual-Disabled.
    You could try disabling this service, and see how you go from there ????

Just mooching around the net reading some similar problems people are encountering with CIDAEMON.
    One removed his Norton Software and his machines resources were fine after that

Suppose it's worth a try :)
    Best of luck

Rodo wrote:
    You could check to see if the indexing service is running when you start your pc.
    START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>SERVICES
    Have a look when you boot up your pc, and see what the setting is for it.
    there's 3 options - Automatic-Manual-Disabled.
    You could try disabling this service, and see how you go from there ????

Just mooching around the net reading some similar problems people are encountering with CIDAEMON.
    One removed his Norton Software and his machines resources were fine after that

Suppose it's worth a try :)
    Best of luck

Cheers dude, will give this a try when I get home.
    Gettin desperate now, gonna reinstall at weekend if not fixed.

Thanks everyone who've suggested stuff!

Cheers dude, will give this a try when I get home.
    Gettin desperate now, gonna reinstall at weekend if not fixed.

I take it you mean a format and re-install? They are different things but you will probably need to format.

Yeah I meant a format, but should I try a repair/reinstall first?

Yeah I meant a format, but should I try a repair/reinstall first?

I don't think there is any point. If it is spyware/viral your best bet is to try to clean it out. If you can't clean it just format. A reinstall won't get rid of spyware (to the best of my knowledge!).

Cool, chhers. I'll let ye know how I get on.

Went home last night and my plan was to leave the Inrernet plugged out, play some Fahrenheit and not even think about it. Then tonight format it and get it all running over the weekend.

I decided to give it one last go and scoured the web for any solutions. Found one saying if you had a trial version of Zone Alarms firewall that has exprired, this ay effect it. Wasn't very hopeful as although I did have one, I had had the Internet last year and it never effected it.

Uninstalled and now the Internet works perfect :D

Computer eh?

Cheers everyone who replied.

Zone alarm could have been highlighting the problem but just because it is gone does not mean your computer is fixed. It is probably in a worse state now and won't get better until you clean it properly.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Flightrisker.
    I installed zone alarm during the week, and my ntl bb connection stayed on but was taking ages to find a website when i hit the go button.
    Uninstalled the prog, and the pc is back to normal now :)
    I wonder what makes zl do this to some pc's and not others :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I used to have alot of issues like this with ZA myself, especially things like the program being stopped or completely uninstalled, no processes of it, not even vsmon.exe running and yet somehow it was managing to 'block out' websites all the time, giving the default ZA html page for every website. That said I haven't had any issues with it since and I'd still consider it one of the best software firewalls out there.

Advertisement