Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules of the road download-> pdf

Options
  • 17-11-2005 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Just made this here over the last hour.
    GF borrowed a ROTR book from someone and has to give it back now.
    I will need it in the future so I made myself a copy.

Uploaded it to rapidshare if anyone wants to download it.

PDF format and under 5MB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Nice One....why the Dept of Transport don't have it on their site is beyond me!

Oh my god....you scanned in 69pages! You must have some patience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

fletch wrote:
    Oh my god....you scanned in 69pages! You must have some patience!

Nope, took photos.
    Only took me an hour.

dawballz wrote:
    Nope, took photos.
    Only took me an hour.
    lol lol lol....good man yerself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

well he has the balls(dawballz) ;) to do it in 1 hour. i wouldnot have te patience:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

links gone down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Worked for me just now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Nice one !

Downloaded 22 times already !

Thansk for that ! (BTW I know them all off by heart .......honest ! )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Rapidshare's a pain in the hole. I'll host it for a few weeks, unless there are any objections. If someone wants to take the time to scan it properly, I'll register a domain to host it permanently (until the muppets in the DoT tell me to take it down that is).

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This should solve a few arguments around here in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Some job making that, although there might be a page missing, the one with the copyright statement ;)
    The booklet should be in Post Offices for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Cheers for posting that. At least in picture form we can photoshop it to prove any argument right!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Rapidshare's a pain in the hole. I'll host it for a few weeks, unless there are any objections. If someone wants to take the time to scan it properly, I'll register a domain to host it permanently (until the muppets in the DoT tell me to take it down that is).

adam

I might scan it over the weekend.. a friend wants to borrow my copy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hagar wrote:
    This should solve a few arguments around here in the future.
    With that in mind, I'll sticky this for a while, before merging it into the resources thread

Top man dawballz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

thanks for this dawballz!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that this version is substantially out of date (even if it is the most recent).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor - the entire book is out of date.
    Apparently they are working on a newer version but civil servants being the way they are, it will be a long time before they release another version.
    Speeds are in mph.
    Braking distances still use old technologies.
    Is there reference to the new licence categories?
    is there mention of the NCT?

feck it - I'll go out and buy a new one now!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got the new book the other day and have the following comments:-
    * It does say that it is not an interpretation of the law but also says that its purpose it to set down...the prohibitions which road traffic law imposes on all road users. The book however, is recommended by various Govt. related driving info e.g. oasis.gov.ie, drivingtest.ie, etc.

* It was last released in June 1995 (republished many times since) - the foreword is from brendan Howlin!
    * the driving licences categories don't refer to newer categories (i.e. M/Mopeds)
    * the book refers to then necessity of having both tax and insurance - no reference to NCT. There is a vehicle safety section which may cver many things under the NCT but still!
    * Speed limits are still generally referred to in mph. no reference to the fact that almost a year ago we went metric. No reference to the new speed limits for certain commercial vehicles also.
    * Stopping distances are only slightly different to those suggested by the DVLA in the UK. I wonder did the DoE complete its own research and if so can it be viewed? Seemingly, the UK stopping distances are taken from an 1965 Ford Anglia which had cross ply tyres and all round brake drums. Modern cars have radial tyres and use (at least) front discs - possibly vented - and better friction surfaces, etc.

How it can take so long to produce a simple booklet is beyond me. However, the fact that this low quality document is not online is also bizarre. Have a look at www.highwaycode.gov.uk which is so much superior compared to our system.
    However, what baffles me the most is that the Govt is trying to encourage all road users to drive within the laws, yet it won't make the simple move to update the main public reference on the matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

dawballz wrote:
    Nope, took photos.
    Only took me an hour.
    Wow - your life must suck ass if you had nothing better to do than photograph 69 pages of the Rules of the Road book - lol. Seriously dude - get a freakin' life.

Wow - your life must suck .

Have a ban for personal abuse.

As for the copyright issue - none of the links are to boards.ie and this site cannot be held responsible for other site contents

Furthermore the RotR is a very useful item for all motorists to refer to.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

As I posted in Feedback, here's a legal copy of the rules online: http://www.lireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

el tel wrote:
    Some job making that, although there might be a page missing, the one with the copyright statement ;)
    The booklet should be in Post Offices for €3

€2.54 :)

CuLT wrote:
    As I posted in Feedback, here's a legal copy of the rules online: http://www.lireland.com/

Nice one CuLT, that's a better job. I'll edit out the other links

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually, I'm wondering who "Lireland.com" really are, and whether their "version" of the ROTR (although nicer looking) is actually any more legal than the scanned version already linked to? They do have a rather dodgy looking "Approved by the Irish Government" (!) logo at the top of their website, but otherwise not even a hint that I can find of who they actually are. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was wondering this too, i.e. how and by whom it was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

lireland are owned by nuatech.

Information from that site is compiled by a number of sources which are all listed as well as (c) for each area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Alun wrote:
    Actually, I'm wondering who "Lireland.com" really are, and whether their "version" of the ROTR (although nicer looking) is actually any more legal than the scanned version already linked to? They do have a rather dodgy looking "Approved by the Irish Government" (!) logo at the top of their website, but otherwise not even a hint that I can find of who they actually are. Any ideas?

Copyright covers only the expression of ideas and not the ideas themselves. So if the site composed their version of the rules by reference to the various Road Traffic Acts and Statutory Instruments (Which as legislation are in the public domain and not subject to protection), they would not be in violation of Copyright law.

Posting scanned images of the booklet however violates the Copyright held by the Department of the Environment in the expression of the various laws in the rules of the road booklet, the chances of them taking enforcement action for this technical violation would be extremly remote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Does anyone know where can I download that PDF book please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 manor15

Check out the following link http://irishmotoring.ie/cms/publish/index_rulesoftheroad.php
    Best of luck
    Manor 15

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement