Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium - condensation

Options
  • 17-11-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a really nice corner aquarium a couple of weeks ago (expensive too!!).

Here is a linky to the tank
    http://www.aquariumworld.co.uk/equipment/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d324.html

It is the aquaone winsor 66.

I have noticed that the condensation between the top of the tank and the wooden lid is WAY too high. The lighting system rests on a piece of removable glass at the top of the tank (180 litres). I find when I open the lid for feeding time that the lid is literally dripping with water.

The temp is set to 26 degrees, which is pretty normal. The only thing I can think of is that there is a design fault with the tank. The lid has two holes for lifing it off for feeding. There is no way of closing them off. My theory is that cold air in getting in and meeting with the hot air from the water.

The issue I have with this is that eventually the wooden lid is going to get saturated and start to rot. After 2 weeks there is already an area the sixe of a euro coin on the lid where this has started.

I got back onto the shop where I bought it and they are sending someone out to have a look .. but I can't see that it is anything I have done with the setup. If hot air meets cold .. there is gonna be rain .. so apart from selotaping over the holes in the lid .. I don't know how to rectify the situation.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Well that what the title of the site says, just click on the site & wave your mouse over the header.

As with all purpose made aquariums that are made on the cheap they do not have the proper fittings in (I would geuss).
    you mention a peice of glass that covers the tank that the light sits on, I would think that the light should be affixed to the lid & not sit on it.
    Condensation is caused if there is a temperature diffrence between two surface of diffrent temperature. you would have to raise or lower the temperature of the peice on which the condensation occurs in order to eliminate it.
    Get a couple of stick on temp gauges and monitor the diffrent surfaces & fix the lighting into the lid properly.
    I do sympathise with you as it is a problem I have come across many times, and it is a manufacturers problem. But as the site says CHEAP

You would have been better advised to buy a juwel as I supply them at a near price to that. You could allways return it to them.
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

The Aqua one tank was more expensive than a Jewel, and I forked out the extra money becuase the cabinet looked better. These tanks are NOT cheap, they retail at more than the Juwel aquariums and look a lot better than the plastic mucky stands that Juwel supply.

I don't want a Jewel, becuase they look cheap. And they suffer over time from expanding wood in the stand. For such an expensive piece of equipment, that people put in the main rooms of thier house, you would think these companies would provide a decent stand .. and seal the wood properly.

The shop offered me a different tank in exchange, I went to see the tank (a Tristin or something like that) and it looked cheap and nasty for putting in your sitting room. Worse than the Juwel.

I'm pretty pissed off with it. I wouldn't have bothered upgrading the tank if it wasn't for the smart look of this one.

Now I am stuck with a corner unit that is flawed, my old tank has been sold on and I have much more fish than I originally had.

I have to ring the shop on Monday and tell them I am not interested in the tank swap. It is up to them to sort out what happens from here. I am a lot out of pocket here as regards fish purchases and ornaments I have bought for this tank. Not accepting this tank unless they fix the issue with it and not accepting the crap tank they want me to exchange to.

All I wanted was a nice looking corner unit .. which I thought I had got .. and all this ****e!!

B

I have to say that this Pet Shop are going out of their way to help.

1. They offered to replace the tank - but I didn't like the other tanks they stock.

2. They offered to refund the money and collect the tank. I didn't want that option either becuase I have stocked up on fish.

Bit of a dilema

3. They have offered to send the lid of the tank back to the manufacturer for proper sealing. They will bump the warranty up from 1 year to 3 years. Once the manufacturer resolve the issue they will give me 150 euros credit for their shop (for inconvenience). If the issue occurs again in the next three years they will replace the tank.

I think that is VERY good customer service. Obviously not mentioning the Pet Shops name. They definitely know how to treat their customers well, pulling out all the stops - when afterall, this is a manufacturer issue.

B

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bubby wrote:
    I have to say that this Pet Shop are going out of their way to help.../...
    I think that is VERY good customer service. Obviously not mentioning the Pet Shops name. They definitely know how to treat their customers well, pulling out all the stops - when afterall, this is a manufacturer issue.

B
    TBH I would mention this place as service like that is hard to come by, judging from others experience. I've seen other places mentioned in other threads(some good, some bad) and this place deserve an honourable mention IMHO, so I don't think you would be contravening any rules(correct me if I'm wrong of course). If boroughmal can link to his site(a good site/shop by all accounts) then why not these boyos? Maybe put it in the sticky of pet resources, if that's allowed.

BTW I agree with you re juwel tanks. While the tanks themselves are well put together, the stands/lighting and general fittings leave a lot to be desired, especially at the price some of them are going for(I'm thinking of the bigger "pro" sizes in particular). Glorified chipboard does not auger well in the quality stakes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As your signature says Wibbs "Careful Now .. ". If I gave the shop name it could have a detrimental affect on their sales of tanks. I don't want to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bubby wrote:
    As your signature says Wibbs "Careful Now .. ". If I gave the shop name it could have a detrimental affect on their sales of tanks. I don't want to do that.
    True 'nuf. Doh!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've had a change of mind on this one. It is months later and I still have a rotten lid on my fish tank. I have been into PETSTOP SUPERSTORE IN BLANCHARDSTOWN many many times since (probably 6 or 7 times). I have also telephoned on numerous occasions. Each time, the girl on the register tells me that the person who is dealing with my case is either on holiday, not in, or that she will leave my phone number. Nobody has called me about this since last November!

I went in there on Thursday - again the girl on the register took my number.
    I got no return call. I went in on Saturday and the person who called themselves a manager said.

"I only work here one day a week. I'll take your number and hopefully someone will contact you"

The "hopefully" really annoyed me. A manager saying thatto a customer! After 3 months of waiting! All I asked for was an update.

After threatening legal proceedings I got a call back from the same "manager", saying the lid was to come from China and that I would get a call from SHIRLIE on Monday in relation to it. No call as of yet.

Moral of the story is, don't buy anything that costs a lot off Petstop - they don't even have the courtesy to return calls. I am absolutely astounded and am now looking for another tank to replace this one. I am well within my rights to get a refund - 1980 Sale of Goods Act.

Can anyone recommend petshop selling tanks at a decent price. Obviously not interested in Petstop.

[Edit]
    Although I do accept that it may be taking time to get the lid of that tank in, I do not accept the unprofessional, inefficient and incompetent bbehaviour of the management at Petstop. If a customer asks for an update, you do not just ignore them. They aren't going to go away!! I would never buy anything from Petstop again after that sort of treatment. To ignore a customer like that is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

try
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/All_Aquariums.html
    or
    http://www.baumanns.ie/aquariums/index.php?cPath=158_162
    or
    http://www.fishkeepingsupplies.com/acatalog/Juwel_Aquariums.html

You can get a condensation cover for most aquariums but i've never seen any for the corner units, I think you'll get condensation in any aquarium, so i'd stick with a lid thats plactic on the inside at least
    I was told by a person, actually in Petstop that them corner units are a gimmick and not to buy one, get a decent size rectanglar one instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

If you remove some of the water so theres a gap of about 3inches between the light and the water

cynos wrote:
    try
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/All_Aquariums.html
    or
    http://www.baumanns.ie/aquariums/index.php?cPath=158_162
    or
    http://www.fishkeepingsupplies.com/acatalog/Juwel_Aquariums.html

You can get a condensation cover for most aquariums but i've never seen any for the corner units, I think you'll get condensation in any aquarium, so i'd stick with a lid thats plactic on the inside at least
    I was told by a person, actually in Petstop that them corner units are a gimmick and not to buy one, get a decent size rectanglar one instead
    Hi Cynos,
    I don't have room in my sitting room for a 240 rectangular tank. I had a rio 125 before this one and it took up far to much room.
    I don't think I have much of a choice as to what the lid is made of. That is up to the manufacturer of the tank. The least you could expect is that they test the product and ensure the durability of same.

In relation to what you said about a member of petstop staff saying that corner units are gimmicks ... I do not agree at all. A corner unit is a great show piece. It depends on what type of fish you want to keep. Obviously if you intend to keep loads of Oscars it will not be suitable. If intending to keep small fish like guppies etc then it is another story. The only gimmick I experience is the lid of the tank, which keeps rotting. I am sure that the person you spoke to was well aware of the customers experiencing serious problems with those tank lids. I am surprised they even have them in the store selling them to customers, considering the fact that Aqua One have not been able to produce a lid that does not start to peel and expand after two weels. I am now on the third lid. I Rang petstop on Monday and spoke with the store manager who said she would get on to the suppliers and return my call afterwards. I am still waiting for that return call.

Cynos, the is no water level on this tank at all and I always have the water mark fairly low. It is an obvious design fault. I am going to get a refund off Petstop and get another tank - just not a Jewel - which look like a really cheap piece of chipboard. Its an awful pity. I would be willing to wait until they got it right - except I cannot stand Petstop's inability to keep me up to date with a call. After 3 months I had to email the supplier myself about it find out what was going on. Petstop never once returned my calls. The shop is very much a "Its not in my job description" .. from the girl on the register to management. I got fed up with the "Theres nobody here. I'll take your number and hopefully someone will ring you" rubbish. Its extremely unprofessional and incompetent.

I used to spent 100 euros or more in petstop each month. I go to Whackers now, out of principal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rippleman

Hi bubby,

sorry to hear you are having such trouble. It really takes away from the enjoyment of keeping fish.

If you are going to go with a corner tank again and have the same problem I have a solution which may work for you.

As a matter of course I line tank hoods with silver-backed bubble wrap (radiator reflector would be an alternative). This increases the reflected light which illuminates the aquarium more and plants do better for it. It also 'insulates' the hood reducing heat loss (the heater-stat has to do less work giving it a longer lifespan and cutting down on running costs). Condensation (which every tropical tank has) will settle on the plastic lining and drip back without affecting the actual hood.

Unfortunately there is no 'off the shelf' tank setup that is perfect, all have flaws. Custom built is the way to go for perfection but will have a price tag to match. A little DIY on your off the shelf tank will adapt it to your liking and cost far less.

If you want the perfect tank that you will not have to adapt in any way yourself you could check out here

Hope all works out for you with PetStop

All the best

Carl

Hi Carl,

Interestingly enough - I have a longterm plan to get a custom built tank. Waterworld have fantastic designs - especially the one in the Ramparts!!
    Planning on buying a bigger house in the next few years and when I do, this will definitely be on the plans.

The idea with the reflective material is a good one. I think I have found what I want for the moment, but the frustration of the lid gets to me.

I don't really agree that I should have to do a DIY job on this tank to prevent the lid from rotting. Considering it cost 700 euros - I'd be expecting it to stand up to more than 2 weeks of condensation. I think it is the manufacturer that should be doing the DIY.
    In an ideal world!

Things always work out .... eventually!
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

I just sent this e-mail to them:
    Just to let you know, I will never be using Petshop again, and I will be going out of my way encouraging others to do likewise. I keep Fish, Turtles and Cats, and have been a VERY regular customer for a few years now.

You have really messed around this person here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054851284

You need to show some respect and return phonecalls. Ignorance pisses me off, and because of your lack of respect shown to that girl, I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Regards,

??

Hi The OP,
    Thanks for the support. If you really did send that email ......
    I doubt very much they give a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Back when I kept fish, I used to shop at petstop.
    They then moved their entire aquacenter UPSTAIRS!
    They built a huge mezzanine 2nd floor and as soon as they started I was assured throughout the time there would be some kind of wheelchair access to it, some king of platform lift I assumed.

There wasnt, after 3 months of trying I eventually got hold of the store owner, who has to be the most ignorant fool I have ever met.
    He told me there was "no legal requirment for him to put in a lift to such a "sub-floor", I did report him to the building authority but nothing came of it.

With a manager like him, nothing would surprise me.
    As for the shop assistants and assistant manager, they are actually nice people, and Im willing to bet they *have* passed on your calls and info, its simply that he dosent give a damn and wont bother replying to you.

If I was using them again I would only be buying cheap toys and food from them, I would never spend more than 20 in that place. (even then its only because its the only one I can get to easilly.

b

"The Op"
    Just wondering if you ever did get a response to that email you sent?

b

Hi,

I did actually. Initially it was ignored, but I cc-ed a few more people, saying that I wasn't going to go away. It was only after 2 such emails that I got an explanation (well, a load of excuses really). The owner of petstop still didn't contact me. It was only after meeting one of the managers in person that I began to get calls and updates from Petstop.

I have since got a new lid for the tank - and the new one suffers from the same defect. Petstop have again got on to the supplier about it. The supplier now claim that there was a drip tray included with the tank that all of their customers have been binning. They are sending out a new lid again, will probably take 3 months to get here from China - and a "replacement" drip tray. I reckon they just discovered why the other manufacturers do not use wood for the lid of their tanks. Petstop said the manufacturer will use 7 layers of lacquer on the new lid instead of 3 and supply with the drip tray.
    If it dinnae this time (its the fourth lid) I'll be looking for my money back. Its nearly 6 months since I bought the tank and its still not sorted.

Teething problems petstop called it! :)

B

The base of the cabinet has started to rot too! Condensation coming out from the tank began to drip down the front of the glass. Water isn't high at all.

Have sent an email to the manufacturer - am going to get a refund - enough is enough.

Can anyone recommend other corner units?

Bubby, might work out better getting one (a cabinet that is) built-in by a decent carpenter who knows his stuff and getting a tank on its own?

How is hannibal btw? Any pics of the old guy? :)

b

Hi B,
    Yep, I am getting a refund. I'm getting one of the new Jewel Trigon 190s.
    They have brought out a new stand, well, same shape but different darker brown mahogony type of affect. Looks a bit of okay.

Petstop admitted that the tanks were a disaster and they are going to help with water transfers. The manufacturer is Australian based and apparently they launched the tank in Europe with this new cabinet, but didn't test it!! Couldn't believe it when I heard. So, I just decided, 6 months have gone by and to bite the bullet and wave what I thought a smashing tank goodbye.

Saturday is new tank day.

Oscar is doing grand!! He is pretty big at this point - probably about 12 to 13 inches. Sysiphus has him in his tank, and I have the Pleco (who loves wreaking the tank - he has gone VERY big. I'd say maybe 10 to 11 inches).

I'll get some pics this weekend for you. Oscar has a few friends now, but he really is the queen B of the tank. Sysiphus treats him like a king "Oscar this ... nya nya nya Oscar that ... nya nya", really humanized .. worse than the cats!!.

I'll get you some pics. I promise.

B

• Advertisement

Aww thats great to hear, even after all this time I still find myself missin the big old glutton! lol ;)
    Is he still handfeeding and coming up top to have his head tickled? :)
    ooh, cant wait to see the photos, bet hes huge lol.
    Yeah I know those plecos can be a bit clumsy, but they are beautiful :)

(Glad they sorted out that refund for ya, bloody ridiculous.
    I've stopped going near petstop these days, since they moved the aquarium bit upstairs an didnt put in a lift (grr). Bloody gets on my goat, I was even thinking of getting a small tank with a goldfish or black moor, thought "where can I go to get the actual fish from" -then realised "damn, petstops the only place I can get to as my father goes to blanch every thurs for shopping, an I cant get up the damned stairs!". Bloody place.) :rolleyes: :mad:

Advertisement