Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eli Roth, Tarantino & Takeshi Miike team up for horror? When did this happen??

• 18-11-2005 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading in this month's Total Film, a new horror called 'Hostel' which is a sick creation from Eli Roth, Quentin Tarantino and Takeshi Miike. The thing that surprises me is the january 6th release date (US), I thought more would have been made about it. I hadn't even heard about the project before reading this.
    Judging from the article ("We're making a sick-ass ****ing movie no one else would do!") it sounds pretty hardcore! There's one line in particular I had to chuckle at, regarding it's preview at the Toronto Film Festival:
    "There were two medical emergencies as shcoked viewers scrambled from the theatre".

Anyone else hear anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. been hearing about it for months on Ain't It Cool News. Tarantino was just one of many executive producers.

The problem is there's too much hype for this from Eli (among others) which happened 'Cabin Fever' also and everyone hated it (except me.. who think of it as quite a sick little gem, but far from brillant).

There's actually a trailer out for 'Hostel'... hold on, i'll find it!

EDIT: Here you go: Trailer

It's out the end of December in the US if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

basquille wrote:
    which happened 'Cabin Fever' also and everyone hated it (except me.. who think of it as quite a sick little gem, but far from brillant).
    Aww, a soul mate.

Eli Roth is on my list of "People I Can't Wait To See More From". He's on there with Sophia Coppola. I think his passion for the genre is inspiring. He's also a pretty cool and funny guy which helps.

Edit: Just watched the trailer and it's looking a bit Saw-esque. I don't think that's a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I`ll await this with baited breath and cautious optimisim. When I expece great things from a project I am uasually disapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As far as I know, Eli Roth and Tarantino didn't team up as such, but rather the studio shoved Tarantino's name on it for the sake of marketing and credited him as an Executive Producer. He really has bugger all to do with the film. Roth is a huge fan of Takashi Miike, and basically asked him to do a cameo. So it's not some kind of collaboration, it's purely an Eli Roth film, despite what the buzz would have you believe.

I quite enjoyed Cabin Fever myself, it was a pretty simple film harking back to the old 70's movies. It was a victim of it's own hype though, so I can understand why some people were dissapointed. I'll probably see Hostel at some stage, but as Spooky says, "Cautious optimism" is something I'll be bringing with me if I do get around to seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I loved Cabin Fever....very eighties. Don't make them like they used to indeed, and Cabin Fever was a great attempt to bring back some simplistic gross out horror - funny enough actually, it suceedded extremely well in that goal despite being rated only 15....

Speaking of Eli Roth did anyone watch the Rotten Tomatoes extras on the Cabin Fever DVD? Excellent stuff....:D

Will definately look forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Aye, I watched them. They were cracking. I tried to find some more episodes but I don't think there are any.

"I'd love to shove a pipe-bomb up his arse. Give him a real Belfast breakfast!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hmm, interesting stuff, but a little disappointing that Tarantino and Miike don't have more of a hands-on role. I'll still see it though as I thought Cabin Fever was better than it was given credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I was a big fan of Cabin Fever and the extras on the DVD showed Roth to be a pretty interesting guy. Knew his stuff when it came to his influences. Was unapolegetic about the type of film he wanted to make... It was a real breath of fresh air to be quite honest.

Presumably Tarantino's name is on here for the same reason it was on Hero. To help get the film released. Dark films are getting higher profiles these last few years, but this is still a pretty grim picture. I don't like the concept of "Director X Presents..." but if it helps get the film out there then I suppose it's worth it.

Advertisement