Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

316i camshaft kit - deal ?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

So my engine has the tickky tickky sound from one worn lobe on the camshaft so seriously considering replacing it.

I Got a quote from a UK Shop .. Motormec for a camshaft kit + 2 rear brake drums for my motor (e36), few questions though.

1. Anyone used these guys before ?

2. Is it a good deal (268 stg inc delivery)

3. I know the rear drums are easy enough to fit, how hard is it to fit the cam/rockers tappets etc... can it be done just removing the cam cover and whats the best way of getting the cam out (1/4 turns on the bolts?) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I've never had the cam out of a BMW but my advice is, if you have to ask then you're probably better off giving it to a mechanic. The valve timing will have to be set up exactly or your power and MPG will go to sh1te. Get it badly wrong and you risk valve/piston interface = lunched engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've never done it before but...
    I've heard of disasterous consequences from people changing noisy tappets before.

If I was you, id buy a Haynes manual (Also known as the common day bible!). If it seems too complex after reading over... just pay some bugger to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Never did the job myself, but have used motormec - they're well established and you should have no problems in dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I did this job about 4 months ago !

It not a big deal. Plan on a Saturday afternoon, about 4-5 hours total !

I got a kit from Otto in Dublin, ex-stock. You can call them for a price, I dont recall but I think it was under €400 !

Your biggest problem will be removing the nut that hold the viscous fan on. You may have to carfully remove the small spring steel piece on the front to allow you to lock the fan. Just ensure you have a suitable wrench. Be careful or you'll end up replacing this fan too which is expensive.

After that it is critical that you make up a tool to lock the crankshaft as setting it up by eye isn't accurate enough. I didn't do this the first time and since the cam in on a taper you can get the valve timing out by half a degree using your eye and marking things everywhere. This will reult in a slightly lumpy idle.

I'd recommend you buy the Haynes manual, and plan on making this tool. Its quite simple and can be made from wooden dowels or nuts and bolts. Just ensure when you insert this tool into the flywheel to lock the crank, that you get ZERO movement of either the tool or the crank.

Follow the instructions regarding cam removal, they are clear and accurate !

No big deal and you'll save possibly a €Grand by DIY.

Good luck !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think I'd change it.
    Anyhow, compare prices with www.gsfcarparts.com and www.eurocarparts.com and OTTO in ranelagh.
    Also ask some UK breakers for the cam:
    www.fabdirect.com
    www.quarrybmwspares.co.uk
    www.bmspares.co.uk

• Advertisement
Advertisement