Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perl vs C#

Options
  • 18-11-2005 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Which language Perl or C# is more needed in Ireland? I mean if I'm looking for programmer job, which language is better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

C#. It's being heavily marked by Microsoft.

Perl is a great language, but really you want to have good Linux skills if you're going to look for a job in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

dublindude wrote:
    C#. It's being heavily marked by Microsoft.

Perl is a great language, but really you want to have good Linux skills if you're going to look for a job in this area.

I have quite good linux/windows skills. So don't really know what to choose.

Well, I work in the recruitment industry, and I see a lot of adverts for C#.

Generally when people want someone with Perl skills it's one of the minor skills they want (i.e. "We are looking for a sysadmin".) C# is normally the major skill wanted in the C# related adverts.

Why not learn both?

Well I think I will choose Perl/Linux course. And after all this I could start with C#. Thanks for your answer. Now I would like to hear what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say there's more work in C# or Java than Perl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dublindude wrote:
    Generally when people want someone with Perl skills it's one of the minor skills they want
    Darn - my primary language is perl. I use it for build scripts, general scripting and CGI programming.
    Its portability is a big plus. And the massive number of extensions (i.e modules) is handy. And it's free.
    dublindude wrote:
    Why not learn both?
    Good idea. The languages have different strengths and are appropriate in different situations.
    The more tools you know more attractive you are to an employer.

daymobrew wrote:
    Darn - my primary language is perl. I use it for build scripts, general scripting and CGI programming.
    Its portability is a big plus. And the massive number of extensions (i.e modules) is handy. And it's free.

I love Perl, don't get me wrong :)

Although I do hate having to fix bugs in other peoples Perl code (especially when they write "beautiful" code. AARRRGHH!!! :eek:)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Ok, then covering the entire IT sector, which would be the best part to be? Programming, Networking, Database, Tech Support.......

When I mean best I mean best paid and always being able to get work in that field?

Well, thaks for your answers. I'm going to start with perl. Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

When I mean best I mean best paid and always being able to get work in that field?

Thats ability-based, not field-based.....although I hear COBOL pays highly and is in constant demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good luck with Perl, can't wait to see Perl6.

Also on the 'more work' point consider how supply affects price as well as demand. Go to any jobs site that has salaries and contract rates.

A dimension to consider is the industry sector. Finance, Manufacturing, Telecomms etc can demand different skillsets and offer a lot more for particular systems and/or industry experience. Perl is colossal in biotech and Ireland is becoming a research hotbed.

In your quest for money don't forget to seek work you enjoy, it's easy to quip 'work to live', but as life is a journey, not a destination, it's worth getting job satisfaction out of all those long working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

r3l4x wrote:
    Thread closed.

No, it isn't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

lol, you came here asking for people's opinions, they told you to go with C# but still you chose perl.
    Had your mind made up already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

If you are learning C#, you can download Visual C# 2005 Express free from MSDN.

Advertisement