Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you rather be heterosexual?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I hope I'm not intruding here :o

I know the whole concept of a "cure for gayness" is ridiculous, but if there was one (ignore the science etc.) would you have liked it if your parents had injected you with it as a baby?

I know you are probably very happy with your life now, but would you like to have grown up hetero?

Apologies for the weird question. It's something I've always wondered (I live on Georges Street so I'm quite exposed to the gay community.)

PS There is no malice in this post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

No i'm very happy with my life, i have a great partner,good friends, nice home, crap job:D . I don't think being gay made my teenage years any more difficult than if i were str8, there are many things i'd like to change in my past but my sexuality isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I know the whole concept of a "cure for gayness" is ridiculous, but if there was one (ignore the science etc.) would you have liked it if your parents had injected you with it as a baby?

Would you have liked it if your parents had injected you with a cure for heterosexuality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

BuffyBot wrote:
    Would you have liked it if your parents had injected you with a cure for heterosexuality?

Stop trying to be a PC smartass. My question is valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 indie

im a young straight woman and i can totally get wat ur trying to say dublin. ive nothing against gay people, i actually enjoy their mental differences, but u do see alot of unhappiness due to their sexuality in some cases not all, but never wanted to probe the question, as i was afraid of being deemed "wrong" or unethical! Fair play x i hope u get ur answers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

indie wrote:
    i actually enjoy their mental differences, but u do see alot of unhappiness due to them

Lol!

Anyway, I think Dublindude's question is valid. This question was asked before on this forum, possibly by that yellum fella.

I think a lot of gay people feel that being gay has profoundly affected their lives and some seem to think their lives must revolve around their sexuality. Loads of examples of such vapid characters around here. Of that bunch who think sexuality is the core of their being, some have pretty crap lives and so blame all the bad stuff on their sexuality and bemoan that everything would be different if they were straight. Some people think being gay is a handicap and will blame it as being the root cause of everything they don't like about their lives.

Saying that, if people feel they'd be happier being heterosexual then that is fair enough. Some gays would probably think it a betrayal of something or other but in the end it is down to being happy. Not a lot people can do about changing though, despite what the ex-gay brainwashers say.

Jeez, if I was straight I'd be married with 2 kids by now. Scary.

Dublindue, question right back at you, would you have liked to have grown up homosexual?

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Dublindue, question right back at you, would you have liked to have grown up homosexual?

Thanks for the replies so far!

I think my life would be more fun if I was bi-sexual (doing whatever with whoever!) but I know me, I know how destructive I can be, so I think the heterosexual life suits me more (having a nice girl to keep me grounded.)

Also, I think my life is more simple because I am heterosexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

i have to say, i think it would be easier to be straight. its easier to be the same as most people, than it is to be different.
    but i wouldnt ever want to change. being gay is a part of who i am. i think it would be stupid to try and remove a part of me because other people might not like it. i am happy as i am. i didnt choose to be gay, and i am not going to try and choose to be otherwise.

Stop trying to be a PC smartass. My question is valid

So was mine.

BuffyBot wrote:
    So was mine.

You post was tainted with your usual angry response to my posts. I'm aware of how you react to things, so I know you did not type that calmly...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How about being injected with a cure for just sexuality in general at birth... that would remove so much hassle from life...

• Advertisement

How about being injected with a cure for just sexuality in general at birth... that would remove so much hassle from life...

Hmmm. I think we do need men and women to have sex to survive though. What would happen if all the women decided to be with women and the men with men???? :)

You post was tainted with your usual angry response to my posts. I'm aware of how you react to things, so I know you did not type that calmly...

Right.......

did u find something i said funny? i was jus giving an honest opinion i didnt expect to be laughed at

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

dublindude wrote:
    Hmmm. I think we do need men and women to have sex to survive though. What would happen if all the women decided to be with women and the men with men???? :)
    Oh everything can be done in test tubes these days and baboon wombs can be used as surrogates.

I was really just thinking about Buffybots question about would I like being injected with a cure for hetrosexuality at birth... it didn't sound like that bad a thing as it would have saved from a lot of horrendous relationships with women over the years... Things might be a bit simpler with same sex relationships... but there is just as good a chance that they too would be horrible... so I geuss removing sexuality completely from the equation is for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I think my life would be more fun if I was bi-sexual (doing whatever with whoever!) but I know me, I know how destructive I can be, so I think the heterosexual life suits me more (having a nice girl to keep me grounded.)

Being bi myself, I think I would have prefered being one way or the other.

maybe but he didnt have to be rude and dismiss it there is no need thank u:mad:

indie wrote:
    maybe but he didnt have to be rude and dismiss it there is no need thank u:mad:

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BuffyBot wrote:
    Only if I were a woman:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

dublindude wrote:
    A larger IVF industry.

Presumably people who feel unhappy about being gay feel that way because of society's attitudes to them. It never bothered the Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No. I've had a good and interesting life upto this point, wouldn't want to change anything that might jeapordise that. Who knows where I'd be today if I was "normal".

I am what I is and I is what I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I hate to say it, but I would like to be normal and have a girlfriend for a while.
    Officially speaking, it would be possible (bi) but every girl I know knew from the second they saw me that I was alternative, shall we say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Grass is allways greener, and life is allways easier on the other side.
    damien.m wrote:
    Lol!

I think a lot of gay people feel that being gay has profoundly affected their lives and some seem to think their lives must revolve around their sexuality. Loads of examples of such vapid characters around here.

Like it or not it does have a tendancy to become a major part of you're life. It effects most of the loving relationships you have. It has a way of dictating the friends you have and the people you choose to share your life with.
    damien.m wrote:
    Of that bunch who think sexuality is the core of their being, some have pretty crap lives and so blame all the bad stuff on their sexuality and bemoan that everything would be different if they were straight. Some people think being gay is a handicap and will blame it as being the root cause of everything they don't like about their lives.

Everybody has to pay the piper, beign gay/bi and straight, all have their costs. It's important to remember that one set of peopel would just be replaced by another.
    damien.m wrote:
    Some gays would probably think it a betrayal of something or other but in the end it is down to being happy. Not a lot people can do about changing though, despite what the ex-gay brainwashers say.

True, some get angry when you suggest that not everything is will & Grace.
    I hate to say it, but I would like to be normal and have a girlfriend for a while.
    Officially speaking, it would be possible (bi) but every girl I know knew from the second they saw me that I was alternative, shall we say.

If you truely wanted you could have it. Theres plenty of women that are attracted/curious about whats it would be like. I guess the problem comes from the "Girlfriend" comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Yeah, I think things would have been a lot easier if I were straight. I wouldn't have had to deal with realising I was different and was going to have a harder life because of it. I wouldn't have spent years agonising over how to tell my friends and family, and knowing that there was a chance they'd turn against me because of it, and then I wouldn't have had to deal with it when the latter happened. I wouldn't have to deal with being told I'm evil and sinful and going to burn in hell on a weekly basis, seeing random people on the news waving around placards saying "God hates fags", hearing people I love make similar comments without even knowing how much it hurt me. I wouldn't have to deal with people yelling abuse at me on the streets for the heinous crime of holding hands with someone I liked.

I'm not trying to be moany here. I know I've got it pretty good compared to a lot of people, and if offered the choice right now, I wouldn't change for the world. Equally, I know that all the awkwardness and pain of being 15 wasn't just down to my sexuality, and that being straight, I'd have had plenty of the same problems. But if I could go back and change it, there's no question - I definitely would.

And if that ment never loving the people you loved, would you still change yourself. Yea being "not straight" sucks allot of the time, but it's how i found love. And thats what i remind myself of every time the stuff you mentioned happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vanessa

i like things the way they are thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

shay_562 wrote:
    But if I could go back and change it, there's no question - I definitely would.

You should be stonger than that. You sound so sure of yourself, you've faced so much and stood tall regardless, and still you'd happily go back and give in if you could? It seems like a betrayal somehow, a betrayal of all you went through. You're probably a much better person for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Zillah wrote:
    You should be stonger than that. You sound so sure of yourself, you've faced so much and stood tall regardless, and still you'd happily go back and give in if you could? It seems like a betrayal somehow, a betrayal of all you went through. You're probably a much better person for it.

Why does Shay's opinion have to be questioned ? Why tell him what he should do ? and talk of betrayal etc etc

Isn't that the root of many gay people's unhappiness (transient hopefully), feeling a need to meet other people's values, a compulsion that they should be or behave a certain way ?

Is it never possible on this forum that a person just offers his opinion with out it being judged ?? Acknowledginh he has faced so much etc can you not acknowledge he's the person best equipped to feel how he feels ?

What hmmm_ said. Told you someone would call it betrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I meant to himself and all he's been through...not other queers.
    Is it never possible on this forum that a person just offers his opinion with out it being judged ?? Acknowledginh he has faced so much etc can you not acknowledge he's the person best equipped to feel how he feels ?

Does that mean that I'm not entitled to an opinion? He's posting in public, clearly he expects responses. Im not judging him, personally I don't give a toss what he does, I was just sharing an observation.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:

You know nothing about him, nor the life he's lived. Maybe he's paid a very high price for being gay. Maybe if he was able to talk more openly about things like this, to his so called community, instead of being expected to toe the line and put a brave face on it, things wouldn't be so bad for him and he wouldn't feel this way?

I can remember giving the whole "Do I want to continue this life" idea allot of thought, and how allone I felt at the time, because there is a sense that no margin for doubt exists. That people somehow see it as a personal betrayal on them, when infact it often a very private issue and sweet fa to do with them.

Advertisement