Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paperwork with buying a scooter privately

Options
  • 18-11-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

im buying a scooter privately off a guy
    i just want to know how long its gonna take for me to be legally on the road
    i dont even know whats involved
    if anyonne knows of ways of speeding up the process pleasse tell me i wood be very greatful
    o btw i have never driven a car or a bike before so im not on any database or anything
    i got a quote over the phone from aon and there are posting down some application forms etc down to me
    thanks for the hwlp lads
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Do you have a provisional bike licence yet mate?

You'll need your insurance, bike tax, and "ownership form" before you can get on the road.
    It can take up to a month usually to recieve the new Vehicle Registration Form or "yellow book" from the department in Clare that handle this form, after you have bought the bike from the original owner. You should sign this ownership form when buying the bike in the prescence of the owner, and the seller usually posts off the form for you. After you get this back, then you can tax the bike legally if it needs it, and then you can insure it.

So you're talking about 3-4 weeks. Fill in the insurance, and have it ready to send back. The insurance company will ask you for copies of your licence and VR Form with the bike in your name. You can shop for bike gear in the meantime, ie a good full face Helmet (200-400 euro), leather GLOVES, armoured jacket maybe, wetgear leggings!!, a big chain, and a big lock or two. oh yeah a high-vis bib is essential for the winter evenings.

Safe scootering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

3-4 weeks nbefore i m legally allowed on the road?!
    so i guess i must go and get the tranfser of ownsership forms sorted out
    3-4 weeks is a long time !
    any way of speeing the process up a little?!
    thanks for the help man!

Have you bought the bike yet?
    What licence have you got?

The "ownership form" needs to be completed by both the seller and owner at the same time i.e. when you're doing the deal and handing over the cash. This paperwork takes approx 3 week to process. Dont forget the postal delays also at the moment. Have a look at the stickys at the top of this board for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

synchro wrote:
    3-4 weeks nbefore i m legally allowed on the road?!
    No, 3 or 4 weeks (possibly) to get the change of ownership forms back.
    You can ride it legally straight away if you're licensed and insured.
    But I wouldn't recommend it without taking professional lessons. Try www.irishridertraining.com

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

ninja900 wrote:
    No, 3 or 4 weeks (possibly) to get the change of ownership forms back.
    You can ride it legally straight away if you're licensed and insured.
    But I wouldn't recommend it without taking professional lessons. Try www.irishridertraining.com
    so i can ride it as soon as the insurance is sent off but i think the insurance company request the ownership form-aon
    wood i i be rite?
    wood i be cover n all so as soon as the policy and check is sent off in the post?
    thanks lads
    great replies thanks

• Advertisement

Can you use proper english mate, its just getting plain annoying reading your posts.

You're insured when the insurance compnay say you are insured. This means waiting till they get your cheque/cash and inspecting your paperwork. (just like a car insurance company) THEY will tell you when you cover starts...If you go out on the road before you are insured, and get caught out/have a spill, you're gonna get screwed!! Pushes other bikers insurance up too.:eek: Also if you lie on your insurance form, it'll be a long time before you get vehicle insurance in this country again. So cool your heels, have a bit of patience, and look forward to a lifetime of biking. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never heard of an insurance company wanting to see the ownership documents though. Usually they'll cover you as soon as they're paid, (e.g. credit card over the phone) with maybe requiring a fax of the driving licence, or a photocopy in the post. Shouldn't be a big deal and there shouldn't be any reason for it to take a long time.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement