Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mandriva Linux 2006 Problem

• 18-11-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

Ok lads here's one for you that I can't find an answer to by googling. I recently purchased a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L7300 Laptop and last night bought a copy of Linux Magazine because of the cover mounted copy of Mandriva Linux. I haven't used Mandriva (or Mandrake) since 9.1 or thereabouts and apparently the WiFi capabilities have been improved significantly so I thought I'd give it a try. (No current net connection to download the isos).

So I installed it last night after going through the setup routine, configured the X server to work with my graphics card, all went without a hitch during the installation process. However, when the install routine reboots and after selecting Mandriva from LiLo the OS tries to load up. It does tis successfully but runs into trouble when it tries to start the X server. For some reason it goes into a never ending loop of Starting X Server > Mandriva Logo > Text Login Screen and then tries to Start the X server again going round and round in a loop. I thought it might just have been a buggy installation so I reformatted the linux partitions and installed it again a few minutes ago. Same problem. Can't figure out what's going on here as I'm not ofey with Linux as I am with Windows (unfortunatly).

Any sugestions guys?
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Install X server and configure it to run with a standard VGA adapter even if your graphics card is much better. That might let it boot up.

Instead of reinstalling the whole system, there should be an option to boot into a "safe" mode (console only) and you should be able to run something like reconfigure Xserver, and you should be able to reset your existing install to use a VGA type driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

There's an option to boot into failsafe yeah but as I said I'm not very good with text based linux and not sure how to even load up a text editor, let alone edit something myself. Guess I'll just try again when I get home.

Cheers Tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

Achilles wrote:
    There's an option to boot into failsafe yeah but as I said I'm not very good with text based linux and not sure how to even load up a text editor, let alone edit something myself. Guess I'll just try again when I get home.

Cheers Tho.

If you need help, just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

open the recovery console and type

sudo dpkg-configure xserver-xorg

Now go through all the options and change the display to VGA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Try changing the video driver to "vesa"

In my experience that driver has worked perfectly fine unless you're after 3D support.

• Advertisement

steveland? wrote:
    open the recovery console and type

sudo dpkg-configure xserver-xorg

Now go through all the options and change the display to VGA
    i think its
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

A quick google should turn up the right syntax anyway, and you may or may not need the sudo bit.... so if it throws up an error, try dropping the sudo bit and run it like this: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

^^^mandriva isn't debian

parasite wrote:
    ^^^mandriva isn't debian
    aye, but i assumed that the syntax would be pretty similar, obviously not :P *pats his debian* that'll do girl, that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

i think its
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

A quick google should turn up the right syntax anyway, and you may or may not need the sudo bit.... so if it throws up an error, try dropping the sudo bit and run it like this: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Woops, my mistake :)

Found a way to get it booting lads, but it requires either logging in via text mode then starting the X Server manually or entering Interactive setup and manually starting everything, then it'll load properly. Certainly strange but it's annoying having to do things this way so I think i'll just get a copy of SuSe 9.3 DVD off of a friend of mine.

Cheers anyways guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If you haven't nuked it yet, log in as root again.
    Try typing telinit 5

If that gives you a graphical login,
    you're only a tiny edit away from the way you want it.

Look for a file called /etc/inittab
    and find a line that begins:
    id:3:initdefault
    if you change the 3 to a 5, it will boot to
    that runlevel by default which has a graphical login.

Hope that works for you,
    NiallB

niallb wrote:
    If you haven't nuked it yet, log in as root again.
    Try typing telinit 5

If that gives you a graphical login,
    you're only a tiny edit away from the way you want it.

Look for a file called /etc/inittab
    and find a line that begins:
    id:3:initdefault
    if you change the 3 to a 5, it will boot to
    that runlevel by default which has a graphical login.

Hope that works for you,
    NiallB
    Cheers Niall but as we speak I have SuSe 9.3 installed on my laptop and configured to access wireless networks using Wlan Assistant (which was surprisingly easy to set up and use) which is all I wanted and am updating it online as we speak. Cheers for the help tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

No worries.
    NiallB

Advertisement