Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUP man "Hurricane Katrina was sent to punish gays"

Options
  • 18-11-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

The following story is from today's Belfast Telegraph (18 Nov 2005)

(In case you didn't know, in Ballymena they burn Catholic churches and schools for sport...)

A DUP councillor from Ballymena has claimed that Hurricane Katrina was sent to the United States by God to punish the New Orleans gay community.

#Maurice Mills said that the natural disaster - which killed 1,300 people, caused $$130bn worth of damage and left tens of thousands homeless - was an act of God against those who practise homosexuality.

The DUP man pointed out that the massive storm arrived just days before party-goers were due to gather in New Orleans to celebrate the annual 'gay mardi gras'.

"The recent Hurricane Katrina descended on New Orleans and took many people suddenly into eternity," Mr Mills said.

"However, the media failed to report that the hurricane occurred just two days prior to the annual homosexual event called the Southern Decadence Festival which the previous year had attracted an estimated 125,000 people.

"Surely this is a warning to nations where such wickedness is increasingly promoted and practised.

"This abominable and filthy practice of sodomy has resulted in the great continent of Africa being riddled with Aids, all at great cost to the nations and innocent children."

Mr Mills made the controversial comments while reacting to the Northern Ireland Gay Rights Association (NIGRA) which last week lambasted his position on homosexuality.

The group's president PA MagLochlainn had said Mr Mills and his colleague Roy Gillespie did not adhere to the "true British spirit" of tolerance for others.

He said that it was a central feature of British life to respect others, and while it was allowed to disapprove, it was not allowed to discriminate.

The gay rights activist also said that Jesus never condemned homosexuality and the DUP men had misread the Bible.

Mr Mills hit back at Mr MagLochlainn claiming that men would be judged by God for their sins.

"What an executor Christ will be on that awesome day," he added.

"Christ alone died for my sins on Calvary's cross and my personal faith exercised in his finished work upon that cross and by the cleansing of his precious blood I have the assurance of sins forgiven and peace with God."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thats just stupid ... everyone knows Katrina was God's way to punish black people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

Thats more than a little scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

el tel wrote:
    "This abominable and filthy practice of sodomy has resulted in the great continent of Africa being riddled with Aids, all at great cost to the nations and innocent children."

I think I speak for the restof the universe when I say "Wha huh???!?"
    "What an executor Christ will be on that awesome day," he added."

Is this the loving hippy-type guy or a different christ?

Christ the Executioner has a certain ring to it.

Is it the sequel to that all time genius movie Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Stupid prick doesn't even have the intelligence to come up with an original headline-grabbing story -- the evangelicals in the states were saying this a month or more ago.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=%22new+orleans%22+katrina+gay

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Stupid prick doesn't even have the intelligence to come up with an original headline-grabbing story -- the evangelicals in the states were saying this a month or more ago.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=%22new+orleans%22+katrina+gay

adam

Dude, who are you referring to as a prick?
    If that's directed at me, then I'd ask you to retract that. The story and headline are from today's Belfast Telegraph newspaper and I posted it not so much for what was said but who said and how much conviction these backwards religious zealots and hypocrites in Northern Ireland have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think he's talking about the esteemed DUP member...

He's right though, he's only thrashing out a line that right-wing evangelicals in the US were spouting pretty much from the moment the hurricane hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think he's talking about the esteemed DUP member...
    I hope that's the case!
    BuffyBot wrote:
    He's right though, he's only thrashing out a line that right-wing evangelicals in the US were spouting pretty much from the moment the hurricane hit.

The right-wing evangelicals in the US are indeed the very same people as their bretheren in Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maccor

that PA MagLochlainn guy was my french teacher at omagh cbs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

el tel wrote:
    Dude, who are you referring to as a prick?
    If that's directed at me, then I'd ask you to retract that. The story and headline are from today's Belfast Telegraph newspaper and I posted it not so much for what was said but who said and how much conviction these backwards religious zealots and hypocrites in Northern Ireland have.
    You needed to post that in the thread /and/ PM it to me because...?

Asked and answered. Seems bloody obvious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

maccor wrote:
    that PA MagLochlainn guy was my french teacher at omagh cbs

A gay french teacher in a Christian Brothers School .... brain overload ... too many jokes ... :D

Seriously, I think this is just another example that the DUP is actually a very conservative christian group, to the point of extermisim. Anyone see that docmentary following Paisley to Africa? Some of the racists bigoted stuff coming out of his mouth was amazing. You had to stop and go "Did he just say that??"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

OH NO YOU DONT,
    We dont need evangelical's on this Island, If the dup turn's to that crap im gonna become a radical provo.

Im just kidding about the provo part ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭catholicireland

But what kind of a party would accept someone like that as a member?
    Are the DUP prodestant madmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are the DUP prodestant madmen?
    About 50% of them are, yes Free Presbyterians to be precise. Paisley and McCrea types on the one side, Robinson and Dodds types on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

"What an executor Christ will be on that awesome day," he added."

Christ: "I'll be back!" :v: :v: :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Some people apparently still haven't realised that the 19th century is over, let alone the 20th.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maurice is up there (down there!) with these b@st@rds. Their leader Pastor Phelps' also has other words of wisdom, e.g "Unconfirmed numbers of Swedes are dead as a result of the tsunamis which ravaged Thailand and the other lush resorts of that region, and thousands more are unaccounted for, either still rotting in the tropical conditions or buried, as they deserve, as asses in mass graves (see Jeremiah 22:19). Scarcely a family in Sweden has been untouched by the devastation. Bible preachers say, THANK GOD for it all!" About 550 Swedes perished in the tsunami. If only all biblethumpers had but one neck... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ballymena has a but of a twilight thing going on. I knew seomone that moved there a few years ago. He was out one Sunday afternoon washing his car when several of his neighbours approached him and politely asked him if he knew what day it was. He said "Sunday?" They said yes, the lords day. You should not do anything but praise the lord on Sunday. They then basically told him not to wash his car anymore on a Sunday. No grass cutting either.

Nutters the lot of them.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hibernian2005

An example of the kind of bigotry which we hope to combat in a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Remember that row about Brian Cowan's lips
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/04/30/story171322356.asp

Paisley's completely insane.

Advertisement