Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane has left United!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Stekelly wrote:
    He is still a few steps above the EL. Take off the "el is world class" rose tinted specs.

He's steps above the SPL too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

WDK wrote:
    Anyone at all get the feeling that maybe just maybe he could be line now for a role as assistant coach or even manager with Ireland.

I don't think he's going to stop playing just yet. I reckon he'll see out this season at least.

HAHAHA. Paul parker is on SKy news and they asked him about a replacement. He said "I don't kknow, theres players at the club , Ryan Giggs and Ronaldo are tough tackling midfielders" has parker been in a looney binsince he retired?

****Edit**** It was Ales Stepney, didnt realiuse Parker got off the phone *****Edit****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Stekelly wrote:
    He is still a few steps above the EL. Take off the "el is world class" rose tinted specs.

Where did I say that? I never did. Typical barstool attitude.

Firstly i said Keane will sign for City as a joke. I agree that it most likely wont happen, but it could.
    big nelly wrote:
    Does this have to decend into an Eircom League v PL issue??????? get back on topic!!

Your a mod now? I wasnt going off topic, merely speculating as to where he could go :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yom 1 wrote:
    Actually if a player has no contract can he sign outside the deadline?? I think that was what abel xavier did with boro this season- although i could be very wrong about that!

There is something about this.....but I dont think it is that easy!! I think you have to have no club before the window!! because he was with Utd has to wait till jan!!

Slash/ED wrote:
    He's steps above the SPL too.

yeah, which is why I want him at Liverpool. The thing is though, I doubt he'll go abroad at this stage of his career. He's also unlikely to sign for another PL team (pick up the phone and ring rafa roy.) So by process of elimination that leaves Scotland, as it's the second best league in the British isles ( I'm not saying we're part of Britain before people jump on me, down lads, it's the easiest way to put it.)

Wigan would be a decent move if he wantred to stay in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Keane walks out on another team in times of difficulty. SHOCK HORROR.

As long as he doesnt go near the ireland job, i personally dont care where he goes. Although rovers could do with him.

I honestly reckon Liverpool is the most unlikely destination, and Celtic is the most likely.

Stekelly wrote:
    yeah, which is why I want him at Liverpool. The thing is though, I doubt he'll go abroad at this stage of his career. He's also unlikely to sign for another PL team (pick up the phone and ring rafa roy.) So by process of elimination that leaves Scotland, as it's the second best league in the British isles ( I'm not saying we're part of Britain before people jump on me, down lads, it's the easiest way to put it.)

Wigan would be a decent move if he wantred to stay in England.

What's his motivation, though? He's rich beyond what he'll ever spend and won everything he'll ever need to win. Is his next move now all about picking the best possible club available? That's why I think Cork City have an outside chance here. They're obviously not the best club he could sign for, but I wonder if doing something for Cork football, and he's very patriotic about Cork, and moving home could motivate him more than moving to someone like Wigan or Celtic.

gimmick wrote:
    Your a mod now? I wasnt going off topic, merely speculating as to where he could go :rolleyes:

Did I say I was a mod? where?? I dont see any mention of that!! maybe read what I posted!! you even quoted it....and yes it was going off topic about the whole Eircom v PL c***

He wont move to Ireland, think he will go to Celtic...for years he has said he supported Celtic as a kid when he was growing up and always wanted to finish his career there....also was spotted numerous times at games up there!!

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote:

As long as he doesnt go near the ireland job, i personally dont care where he goes. Although rovers could do with him.

YAWN. Utd clearly said "mutual Consent", so unless you are Alex ferguson (or someone else high up in Utd, what do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Everton could do with him... Nice player to have in the team. Could be just what we could do with!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Dustaz wrote:

get your facts right Dustaz
    Its a disgrace what has happened to Keane, the fans will let Fergie know what they think about it come the next Utd Home game.

Slash/ED wrote:
    What's his motivation, though? He's rich beyond what he'll ever spend and won everything he'll ever need to win. Is his next move now all about picking the best possible club available? That's why I think Cork City have an outside chance here. They're obviously not the best club he could sign for, but I wonder if doing something for Cork football, and he's very patriotic about Cork, and moving home could motivate him more than moving to someone like Wigan or Celtic.

i still don't think it would be a good move, he'll get a lot of stick and I'm sure there would be a few players in the league that woul try to hop off him just cos he's roy keane, he could end up getting seriously hurt.

Maybe this is the start of the Glazier clear out? I could see Fergie goin go in the summer now. I have a feeling a couple of other senior players mght go too (when the dust settles at the end of the season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Keane to sign for Spurs. He supported them as a boy after all.

Stekelly wrote:
    i still don't think it would be a good move, he'll get a lot of stick and I'm sure there would be a few players in the league that woul try to hop off him just cos he's roy keane, he could end up getting seriously hurt.

Stick from who?

You might be right about the players, but he would face the same problem in Scotland.

• Advertisement

Everton could do with him... Nice player to have in the team. Could be just what we could do with!!!!

Majority of clubs in World would love to have Keane in there team when he is at his best....even when he is 34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nunu wrote:
    He's cup tied for this season. He played for an hour against Debrecen in the 1st leg of the qualifier. In other words this rumour is a load of bollox.

Qualifiers do not cup tie a player, group stage matches do cup tie a player, I hope thats clear and simple for ya :)

Big Nelly wrote:
    Did I say I was a mod? where?? I dont see any mention of that!! maybe read what I posted!! you even quoted it....and yes it was going off topic about the whole Eircom v PL c***

Ill say again, where did i mention eL versus premiership etc? Please quote it and point it out to me, because I would love to see it. Really and truly.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Qualifiers do not cup tie a player, group stage matches do cup tie a player, I hope thats clear and simple for ya :)

You sure? didnt Morientas play for 5 mins last season in a qualifier game and was cup tied for season!

Sponge Bob wrote:

I was pretty sure that's not the case, I think there's been players in the past cup tied in qualifiers.

That's why Liverpool didn't play Owen last year for example.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    I was pretty sure that's not the case, I think there's been players in the past cup tied in qualifiers.

That's why Liverpool didn't play Owen last year for example.

Also why Dudeck and all the player bene was trying to sell off didnt get a chance in the qualifiers...>baros was another because there value drops if cup tied!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think its either going to be Celtic or a Role with Ireland simple as that. I also believe that anyone thinks Roy is that much of a Tw@t to go and play for another pl team is an idiot, plus anyone whos thinks he may go play in the Eircom League is deluded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Big Nelly wrote:
    You sure? didnt Morientas play for 5 mins last season in a qualifier game and was cup tied for season!

Morientes played in a GROUP STAGE match in August 2004 and was cup tied for the season so that he could not play with Liverpool in the CL.

ROY KEANE IS NOT CUP TIED IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - OFFICIAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's a sad day in the history of United, the most important player of my generation forced to leave the club he loves because of a manger that's lost his way, a squad that fall into one of two categories, players who are resting on their laurels and players that aren't good enough or determined enough to play for the club, and an owner who cares more about profit than keeping the club at the top.

Man Utd RIP

Slash/ED wrote:
    Stick from who?.

Theres still a lot of this:
    Dustaz wrote:

Sort of gimpish attitude floating around this country.

If so it still doesnt make a difference because his wish to play for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

End of an era well and truly for United. Is Alan Smith really going to cut it in the middle of the park for the rest of the season? Is Ballack going to come to Man Utd at all and, if he does, is he really the man to replace Keane?

Still think Keane has lots to offer, can see Alardyce, Strachan and plenty others moving for him now.

Big writeing doesn't make it true, otherwise Liverpool would have played Owen and others in their qualifiers last year.

To be honest I dont think Man Utd are going to be any the worse off without him , he may be able to still cut in Scotland because the league is sub standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Iago wrote:
    It's a sad day in the history of United, the most important player of my generation forced to leave the club he loves because of a manger that's lost his way, a squad that fall into one of two categories, players who are resting on their laurels and players that aren't good enough or determined enough to play for the club, and an owner who cares more about profit than keeping the club at the top.

Man Utd RIP

Its the end of the era. It stops here. Well said Iago.
    Utd have no loyalty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm pretty sure once you play a game at all, you are cup tied in all European Competition for that season?? Otherwise, we would have played Baros on our qualifiers but didn't because he would have been cup tied! Could be a case that if you play a qualifier, you are cup tied until the knock out stages at which point you become eligible again? Morientes played a group game last season so was cup tied for the entire competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Wow, I am shocked about this...
    There must have been a massive fallout after the MUTV interview.
    What he said was right but doing it on tv was a stupid move in my opinion.
    He should have kept it in the dressing room, No business/company can tolerate that kind of public misconduct.

Where do I think he'll go?
    Celtic....

Do I think he'll get the Ireland job?
    No....

Will he play for another premiership club?
    No...

Will he go abroad?
    I seriously doubt it at this stage in his life...

He was offered a testimonial aswell whats the betting he turns down like a sulking child.

Keyzer wrote:
    Wow, I am shocked about this...
    There must have been a massive fallout after the MUTV interview.
    What he said was right but doing it on tv was a stupid move in my opinion.
    He should have kept it in the dressing room, No business/company can tolerate that kind of public misconduct.

Where do I think he'll go?
    Celtic....

Do I think he'll get the Ireland job?
    No....

Will he play for another premiership club?
    No...

Will he go abroad?
    I seriously doubt it at this stage in his life...
    Spot on keyser..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Morientes played in a GROUP STAGE match in August 2004 and was cup tied for the season so that he could not play with Liverpool in the CL.

ROY KEANE IS NOT CUP TIED IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - OFFICIAL
    (Kalu Uche) Was involved in a terrible spat with Wisla, as he refused to play in a Champions League qualifying-round game against Omonia, because of a pending move to Ajax, which would have made him cup-tied. This caused him to be suspended by Wisla for six months.
    August 10, 2004
    AK Graz 0 Liverpool 2
    Champions League third round qualifier first leg
    Had Benítez been forced to bring the England striker on, Owen would have been cup- tied to render him a much less attractive signing for Europe's major clubs, given that he would not be available for continental competition.

What was that you were saying...? :D

I have to say when Gary Neville is fit I hope he gets the captaincy, I hope we get ballack but I certainly wouldnt want him is captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did he walk or was he pushed? http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p233.htm Second page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I feel like crying

Did he not already have a testimonial after 10 years?

• Advertisement

Good I hope he was pushed by Sir Alex, Keane thinks he can open his big mouth the whole time and Sir Alex finally showed who is boss. Best possible thing Sir Alex has done in the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

WDK wrote:
    I have to say when Gary Neville is fit I hope he gets the captaincy......

Agree with this 100%. Neville came through 60 minutes of the reserves match last night so he should be back soon.

Ronaldo has just signed a 2 year Ext to his contract!

WDK wrote:
    I have to say when Gary Neville is fit I hope he gets the captaincy, I hope we get ballack but I certainly wouldnt want him is captain.
    yeah, all non ManU fans would love to see him as captain 'cause he's useless and would only be a hinderence to any ManU improvement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Big Nelly wrote:
    Holy F**k.....that is a shock!!! was going to leave anyway in Summer so why not move on now....he will come to Shef Wed and then have him and Whelan in the middle!! haha!!!

hehe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

LFCFan wrote:

No. There was talk of him having one last summer against Celtic but that didn't happen because of the clubs involvement in Champions League qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Why the hell would you want to cry, he flaming 34 not 28. I felt like crying when we lost Beckham because we lost an exellent player in his prime, Keane has given us his best years and now its time for him to move on. At this stage Keane was disruption in the squad.

Hinderance he is one of the best right backs in the league. :mad:

LFCFan wrote:

A previous offer for a testimonial in recognition of the Irishman's 12-and-a-half years at Old Trafford has been confirmed in writing but Keane will not be at the club in an official capacity if he decides to take the offer up.

If anyone is going to cry, cry for George Best whom of which was the single greatest player the club who has been readmitted to intensive care today with a serious infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I can't believe it. I feel numb. Knew it was coming sooner rather than later but I was completly caught off guard by this. Thanks Roy - the most influential player of my time.

LEGEND

• Advertisement
Advertisement