Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane has left United!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

WDK wrote:
    Hinderance he is one of the best right backs in the league. :mad:
    another disillusioned Man U fan. He has to be one of the most overrated players ever. How he's survived this long is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

shocked at the timing:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Disillusioned are u for real mate Gary has been a stalwart for us in that position and he also has the passion for the club to make him a good leader.

Besides go back to talking about your own team before you cast aspertions on the single greatest team in the premier league since its introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p233.htm

Page 2 as previous poster said. Surely fergusan would not be stupid enough to force Keane out.

I seem to remeber a couple of years ago fergusan coming out after a european game they had just lost. He was fuming and he said 'if id had 10 roy keanes out there tongiht the result would have been different'. Maybe he has forgotten that this was the kind of attitude that got utd where they are today (or were 2-4 yrs ago). Roy Keanes presence around the dressing room should be enough to justify keeping, add into his influence on the field AND the performances he puts in and Fergusan has lost it to a far greater extent then i thought if he forced keane out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

When all's said and done, he is the sole architect of his downfall...

His 12 year career with Manu has ended on what one can only call a "sour note" (understatement obviously) and he missed out on a World Cup, not the Carling Cup or FA Cup, the World Cup ffs.

The bloke is a legend but when is he going to learn that "My way or the highway" doesn't always work...

If you remove yourself from football for a moment, and put yourself in an employers position, he had to be sacked/kicked out/whatever you want to call it. Imagine having an employee like that? Sooner or later you would have to do the same.

I think he is a very selfish person....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Not sure how accurate this is.....
    48] It was a peaceful morning
    Friday, November 18, 2005

at Carrington. Training was going to be low key in preparation for tomorrow's game, United were delighted to about to announce Ronaldo's new deal, which they did shortly before 11am.

Before the end of training the manager and his Captain, soon to be former captain had what was to be their last meeting together. It was a row of nuclear proportions that followed, that apparently makes Saipan look like a tea party. Keane was apparently told there was to be no new deal, the testimonial was still on the table, because the club would honour their initial proposal...oh, and Keane was no longer Club Captain.

It kicked off. Roy said he'd quit. Fergie accepted.

The club pr then had to make it look a lot nicer than it actually is, and Gill and Michael Kennedy had to quickly sort out a severance condition (under which, and the testimonial, don't accept Keane to put what really happened...for now).

So we have a nice statement which nobody inside or outside of what happened this morning believes.

Keane has gone. After speaking his mind for so long saying what fergie wanted, he spoke once too often, this time not his Masters Voice. Their relationship was non existent ever since and todays massive row was inevitable.

As one source at the club said: "Is anybody actually surprised?".

Well, maybe not in the departure, but certainly in the suddeness. The club were only yesterday talking about his return from injury. But when Keane has had enough, he's had enough.

Lou Macari says he's "staggered"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

WDK wrote:
    If anyone is going to cry, cry for George Best whom of which was the single greatest player the club who has been readmitted to intensive care today with a serious infection.

You have to got to be kidding me right?

Cry for a guy who pi$$ed away a god given talent and then made a career out of doing it over and over. Cry over a guy who is so selfish that even when he gets a second chance at someone elses expense he still goes and destroys his new live?? I wouldn't shed a tear or a moments thought for him.

Outside of that, your comments on Keane show a lack of understanding around what he meant to the club, so let me try and educate you. Roy Keane has been the single most important player in the clubs recent history, not Peter Schmeical, not Eric Cantona, certainly not David Beckham.

He has driven the team on time and again, forced them to perfom and to watch themselves, he has never asked anything of the players that he didn't give himself time and again. When he speaks people listen because his understanding of the game is second to none. When he criticises he does it not to be "a mouth" but to try and address problems that he can see are affecting the success of the club. While everyone else involved seems perfectly happy to be part of a mediocre club just because of the tradition, Keane is striving to enforce the tenets of that tradition so that the club will be where it belongs, at the top of the league and challenging in Europe.

At 34 or 18 Keane is the most important part of Man Utd, if you can't see that now you will do by the time the season is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Keyzer wrote:
    When all's said and done, he is the sole architect of his downfall...

His 12 year career with Manu has ended on what one can only call a "sour note" (understatement obviously) and he missed out on a World Cup, not the Carling Cup or FA Cup, the World Cup ffs.

The bloke is a legend but when is he going to learn that "My way or the highway" doesn't always work...

If you remove yourself from football for a moment, and put yourself in an employers position, he had to be sacked/kicked out/whatever you want to call it. Imagine having an employee like that? Sooner or later you would have to do the same.

I think he is a very selfish person....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another ham fisted cock up by Man United.
    They seem to mess everything up.
    Sacking your captain in the middle of a slump.
    As a United fan for 25 years it saddens me the club is imploding.
    Biggest club in the world they like to tout themselves as.What a load of b*****.
    Biggest club in the world doesnt buy bargain bin players and treat its best players poorly.
    Its a shambles both on and off the pitch.
    United wont win anything this year and Ferguson will go at the end of the season ,one way or another .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was having a miserable day in work, was grumpy, was unhappy, pissed off and then this wonderful news came thru on the radio. Hehehe now I am singing and life is wonderful.

Roy walks out again, not surprised really, didn't get his way so ran away again.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Was having a miserable day in work, was grumpy, was unhappy, pissed off and then this wonderful news came thru on the radio. Hehehe now I am singing and life is wonderful.

Roy walks out again, not surprised really, didn't get his way so ran away again.

Oh and you know him personally do you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wat is Glazier going to think??? I can see Fergie going soon!! if the fans turn on Fergie now Glazier can get rid of him....think they always wanted to but didnt want to because of all the problems with the take over...but with dropping standard....dropping attendance and losing there captain and best player all in the space of a few months....also could be knocked out of Europe, which Gill has already said yesterday is unacceptable for this to happen to Utd I can see Fergie going!! nobody has commented on if you think Fergie set this all up to get rid of Keane because of the pre-season bother??

Iago wrote:
    Outside of that, your comments on Keane show a lack of understanding around what he meant to the club, so let me try and educate you. Roy Keane has been the single most important player in the clubs recent history, not Peter Schmeical, not Eric Cantona, certainly not David Beckham.

At 34 or 18 Keane is the most important part of Man Utd, if you can't see that now you will do by the time the season is out.

Man utd and Fergusan will suffer in the long term.

Its tragic for football, man utd and irish fans who like to watch our one proven top class player fighting it out at the top level of football.

Iago wrote:
    You have to got to be kidding me right?

Cry for a guy who pi$$ed away a god given talent and then made a career out of doing it over and over. Cry over a guy who is so selfish that even when he gets a second chance at someone elses expense he still goes and destroys his new live?? I wouldn't shed a tear or a moments thought for him.

He has driven the team on time and again, forced them to perfom and to watch themselves, he has never asked anything of the players that he didn't give himself time and again. When he speaks people listen because his understanding of the game is second to none. When he criticises he does it not to be "a mouth" but to try and address problems that he can see are affecting the success of the club. While everyone else involved seems perfectly happy to be part of a mediocre club just because of the tradition, Keane is striving to enforce the tenets of that tradition so that the club will be where it belongs, at the top of the league and challenging in Europe.

Lol I taking the mick with that Iago. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

WDK wrote:
    Good I hope he was pushed by Sir Alex, Keane thinks he can open his big mouth the whole time and Sir Alex finally showed who is boss. Best possible thing Sir Alex has done in the past year.

Have you a split personality or something?
    Rememeber this from 2 weeks ago?

"Alec Ferguson has to be given the vote confidence in my opinion its time, this madness must end. For Roy Keane I believe everything he said is right and all of us Man United fans truly know it."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3556467&postcount=66

You're worse than netpisskid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this sucks a big fat one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

WDK wrote:
    Besides go back to talking about your own team before you cast aspertions on the single greatest team in the premier league since its introduction.

Believe it or not, there was footy before the premiership.. Keane the most influential player of his time in prem. He was not even the most influential player on his team. Cantona could change a game in a second, make the team play better and brought them along with him. Beckham another one who was very influential for Man U, perhaps not in the same way that Keane was but was a creative force who brought the spirits of the team up and played for the shirt for every minute that he wore it.

As for the worry about your own team lark, It was pointed out to me recently that that is the last bastion of a supporter who has no argument to make.

Believe it or not, there was footy before the premiership.. Keane the most influential player of his time in prem. He was not even the most influential player on his team. Cantona could change a game in a second, make the team play better and brought them along with him. Beckham another one who was very influential for Man U, perhaps not in the same way that Keane was but was a creative force who brought the spirits of the team up and played for the shirt for every minute that he wore it.

As for the worry about your own team lark, It was pointed out to me recently that that is the last bastion of a supporter who has no argument to make.
    Really interesting there thanx for the fish go back and read my post I was talking about gary neville not roy in that post. As to you Talla, I did say but with Sir Alex letting Keane go and also masterminding the win over chelsea he has to be commended. In reality Fergie has come to the end of the road but he is still showing who is boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fairly shocking news, couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Not a huge Keane/United fan myself but surely he deserved a better ending to such a long and succesful career. That said, todays Irish Indo claims he's getting a €7.5m golden handshake from United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Stekelly wrote:
    YAWN. Utd clearly said "mutual Consent", so unless you are Alex ferguson (or someone else high up in Utd, what do you know?

I have a bridge in brooklyn which you might be interested in buying if you actually believe what you have written there.

Yet again Keane, as was pointed out, is the achitect of his own downfall. and yet again, he will come out of it smelling of roses.

I cant understand what some of the hysteria is about. Sure he was an important player a few years ago, but if people still think that hes the single most important player at the club, then thats a pretty sad indictment of Utd if a crocked 34 year old is their most important player. At the end of the day, a fitter more reliable player will come in and will presumably be one who wont have an almighty go at anyone and anything which displeases him. Thats better for a club in a slump than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    todays Irish Indo claims he's getting a €7.5m golden handshake from United.

that would be his testimonial i presume

Spot on about him not being as important anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ferguson will be gone within a month

United are going from bad to worse.

That is all

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

besty wrote:
    that would be his testimonial i presume

Is a testimonial not where all the gate receipts for the game are given to the player in question?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A source within Man U has confirmed what sparked of this latest row. Roy was asked to play in the reserves match last night and agreed to take some part. When he turned up for the game last night, he was told that he would not be taking part. He arrived in for training this morning and walked straight past Ferguson with his lawyer Micheal Kennedy. He headed straight for David Gill's office. Appartantly Ferguson and all the players knew nothing of what was going on.

At around 11.45 Ferguson called all the players together and told them that Roy will no longer be a Man Utd player. He went on to say that Roy was the greatest player he ever managed and that he would be missed from the club.

• Advertisement

maybe this will mean miller will have more of a chance in the club now!

Leonard wrote:
    A source within Man U has confirmed what sparked of this latest row. Roy was asked to play in the reserves match last night and agreed to take some part. When he turned up for the game last night, he was told that he would not be taking part. He arrived in for training this morning and walked straight past Ferguson with his lawyer Micheal Kennedy. He headed straight for David Gill's office. Appartantly Ferguson and all the players knew nothing of what was going on.

At around 11.45 Ferguson called all the players together and told them that Roy will no longer be a Man Utd player. He went on to say that Roy was the greatest player he ever managed and that he would be missed from the club.

Straight from Fergie source I guess!! thats pure c**p if I ever heard it....taking all the blame off Fergie!! good PR as usual by Fergie thou!!

Dr J wrote:
    Is a testimonial not where all the gate receipts for the game are given to the player in question?
    yes it is, but it was quoted that the gate reciepts for an OT testimonial would amount to £5million, i.e. €7.5million payday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm stunned that they let him go mid-season....

I can see why Keane would want to go now....certainly a few opportunities floating around that may not be there at the end of the season, but like him or not (and I'm an Arsenal man), he's a massive loss to the team, if only just to pump them up.

It was bad losing Vieira, but mid season would've been a disaster !

WDK wrote:
    Really interesting there thanx for the fish go back and read my post I was talking about gary neville not roy in that post. As to you Talla, I did say but with Sir Alex letting Keane go and also masterminding the win over chelsea he has to be commended. In reality Fergie has come to the end of the road but he is still showing who is boss.

Strange, because how about this after the chelsea game:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50335416&postcount=118

Don't see you giving much credit to Fergie there.

But anyway, i'll look forward to that other personality coming out again and saying united should never have let keane go, fergie should go etc. when united loose their next game / don't qualify for the champions league knockout stages showing no passion.

As for Roy getting sacked/ leaving, thanks for everything over the last 12 years Roy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

besty wrote:
    yes it is, but it was quoted that the gate reciepts for an OT testimonial would amount to £5million, i.e. €7.5million payday

Ah, I really didn't think gate receipts for a testimonial would be that high. Do people pay full price for these games?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Straight from Fergie source I guess!! thats pure c**p if I ever heard it....taking all the blame off Fergie!! good PR as usual by Fergie thou!!

What are you on about? In one sentence you say it's all crap and in the next you say it's good PR by Fergie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dr J wrote:
    Ah, I really didn't think gate receipts for a testimonial would be that high. Do people pay full price for these games?

I would imagine so. And then some probably.

well thats just the figure i saw quoted. i would imagine it would be closer to 2 or 2.5m pounds.

30 x 67,000 =2010000

Dr J wrote:

Full price for Giggs' testimonial V Celtic a few years ago iirc.

SteM wrote:
    What are you on about? In one sentence you say it's all crap and in the next you say it's good PR by Fergie?

Sorry meant the statement from the "source" is cr*p and isnt true and that it is very good PR by Fergies people to turn it back onto Keane.....

now to get tickets for his testimonial.

talla wrote:
    Strange, because how about this after the chelsea game:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50335416&postcount=118

Don't see you giving much credit to Fergie there.

But anyway, i'll look forward to that other personality coming out again and saying united should never have let keane go, fergie should go etc. when united loose their next game / don't qualify for the champions league knockout stages showing no passion.

As for Roy getting sacked/ leaving, thanks for everything over the last 12 years Roy.
    Its great the way you to love point out what others have said with ure apparent ability to search, good job jeez you actually maybe deserving of an award Talla.

Round of applause please for the the moderator who does his homework. Bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Big Nelly wrote:

you obviously know what happened then. why not tell us?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Big Nelly wrote:

Totally agree with what you are saying about Fergie dressing it up to save face. What ever way they dress it up Roy Keane was Sacked from Man Utd today.

This source however is actually a first team playerthat was present when ferguson made these comments.

I actually believe that the wrong man was sacked from Man Utd this morning. The sooner Ferguson goes the better. He is driving this club into the ground.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    you obviously know what happened then. why not tell us?

I havent a clue wat happened!! did say I did? can everyone not read my posts or not today???? that statement just sounds like it very good for Fergie...Keane comes walking in and goes to chairman.....has meeting and quits club,,....Fergie know nothing about it......now seriously do you believe it???? we got the same sort of stuff after Saipan!! will have to wait to hear the correct story if we ever do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Leonard wrote:
    Totally agree with what you are saying about Fergie dressing it up to save face. What ever way they dress it up Roy Keane was Sacked from Man Utd today.

Sounds more like a 'This is the way its going to be...' and keane chose to quit from your story rather than him being sacked.
    He is driving this club into the ground.

Driving it back where he found it you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Qualifiers do not cup tie a player, group stage matches do cup tie a player, I hope thats clear and simple for ya :)

It's certainly simple.....and wrong. A little research wouldn't have gone amiss.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Scroll down to Article 15:7

Well if part of the reason keane quit was that ferguson told him he was no longer the captain I would have thought this would imply fergusan knew something about it. Also if keane turned up for a reserve match and was told he wasnt needed, and to 'talk to ferguson' again i think fergie must have known about it.

I do reaslise that lots of the stuff written didnt happen but there seems to be a lot of suggestions that keane was pushed, and fergie was behind it

WDK wrote:
    Its great the way you to love point out what others have said with ure apparent ability to search, good job jeez you actually maybe deserving of an award Talla.

Round of applause please for the the moderator who does his homework. Bravo!

And your point is actually?

Nunu wrote:
    It's certainly simple.....and wrong. A little research wouldn't have gone amiss.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Scroll down to Article 15:7

Knew I was right!!! apologies on a post card!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just found out why Keano left... apparently he was unhappy at a new staff appointment.

And your point is actually?

Lol great to see a moderator trying to tease an insult out of the naive poster. Well I am not going to stoop your level and insult you so that you can ban me from the soccer forum. I may talk sh!t but I am not an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Morientes played in a GROUP STAGE match in August 2004 and was cup tied for the season so that he could not play with Liverpool in the CL.

ROY KEANE IS NOT CUP TIED IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - OFFICIAL

Playing in the qualifiers DOES make you cup-tied. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It sure as hell does make you cup tied.

Advertisement