Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane has left United!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wat is Glazier going to think???

Probably something along the lines of "yay, £100,000 a week off the payroll, what was this guy senior VP of something, what is this saccer thing anyway, do they make trainers?"

Dustaz wrote:
    I cant understand what some of the hysteria is about. Sure he was an important player a few years ago, but if people still think that hes the single most important player at the club, then thats a pretty sad indictment of Utd if a crocked 34 year old is their most important player. At the end of the day, a fitter more reliable player will come in and will presumably be one who wont have an almighty go at anyone and anything which displeases him. Thats better for a club in a slump than anything else.

I actually agree that thats what will happen, but the outcome willbe Utd slipping into mediocrity through complacency and the team being full of players turning up to collect a pay check. He drove players and as captain let them know what was expected. Who else is going to do that now?Can you see rio taking over the shouting duties? he'll be too busy watching the ball whizzing around him. They are sorely laking a leader atm and now they don't have one at the club. Look at the shambles of a match the Lille game was. It's all well and good raining your game once for a big game like Chelsea, but the season is 38 games long. They ended Arsenals unbeaten run last season and promptly lost the next game. Oh and finished the season empty handed.

So thats another great player Sir Alex has fallen out with.
    Add to the list of Kanchelskis,Ince,Schmeichel,Cantona,Beckham,Stam.
    I cant think of any other manager who has fallen out with so many top players.

Dont forget McGrath. Whiteside too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Here's my 2 cents on the situiation...

On the one hand, he was going to leave sooner or later & its better that he leaves now rather than this thing dragging on until the end of the season and getting messy.

But I think Man Utd should have offered him at least a one year extention because of his service to the club and his influence on the club, not to mention his ability on the pitch.

All in all its a sad way for Keane's United career to end having being such an influential player. He'll go down as a legend no the less and there is only one 'Keano'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Stekelly wrote:
    I almost forgot them ;)
    Almost enough to have a full 11 which would destroy the present 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Stekelly wrote:
    I actually agree that thats what will happen, but the outcome willbe Utd slipping into mediocrity through complacency and the team being full of players turning up to collect a pay check. He drove players and as captain let them know what was expected. Who else is going to do that now?Can you see rio taking over the shouting duties? he'll be too busy watching the ball whizzing around him. They are sorely laking a leader atm and now they don't have one at the club. Look at the shambles of a match the Lille game was. It's all well and good raining your game once for a big game like Chelsea, but the season is 38 games long. They ended Arsenals unbeaten run last season and promptly lost the next game. Oh and finished the season empty handed.

Christ, you really have to stop elevating him to deity. Utd have finished 3rd how many times? WITH KEANE AS CAPTAIN. Utd have been 'underperforming' by the fans standards for a few years now and keane has been part of that underperforming team. Juventus was a long time ago chaps. At least this time in the Keane saga we dont have to put up with the equivalent of the 'zomg he dragged ireland to the world cup single handed' nonsense.

I had to laugh after the chelsea game when smith more or less said it was keane that inspired them to the win. Where was that inspiration against lille?

The man is human, just like any other good footballer. He will be replaced. He will be superceded eventually. Live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy

Look no further than Graeme Souness so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So thats another great player Sir Alex has fallen out with.
    Add to the list of Kanchelskis,Ince,Schmeichel,Cantona,Beckham,Stam.

Stekelly wrote:

Pardon My french but what a load of Bo**ox. (no offence intended)

Kanchelskes moved on because he was a forerunner to Anelka and he had a gamblimg problem and needed the money (look at his subsequent moves if in doubt). Ince moved on because his replacement arrived (Keano) and he was no longer the Guvnor as he liked to think he was. Schmeichael said he wanted a new challenge as he had won everything with United that he could. Cantaona was just Cantona , he always said he would retire when he was at the top and did. Beckham was sold because of the media circus that surrounded him at the time and Fergie felt that it was bad for the club as a whole.Don't forget Fergie tried to sign Ronaldinho as beckhams replacement, if that had worked out I don't think anyone would see Beckhams sale as a mistake. Stam was alledgedly sold because of the book but I would suggest thats not the case. Consideing what happened him susequently there is always the possibility that someting showed up in a blood test at United and they got shot of him. As for Whiteside and Mc Grath they were great players but their off the pitch activities did not sit easily with Fergies plans for his team and considering the success which followed I dont think anyone can argue that he was wrong. Both were also carrying injuries which in Whitesides case ended his career prematurely

The only one of them I have any doubt about is Stam. If he was sold solely because of the book I think that was wrong because he was a great defend and I believe selling him and not replacing him properly cost us the league and was the start of our loss of form.

It is very easy to say you dont know a top manager that has fallen out with so many top players but how many top managers have been in their position for nineteen years? Nineteen years managing any business and you are going to have to get rid of certain staff for various reasons from time to time and make mistakes along the way.

I won't defend Fergie if it turns out that Keane was shafted and as I said I have my doubts about the decision to sell Stam but to blame fergie solely for the departure of any of those other players is very wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I almost forgot them ;)
    Almost enough to have a full 11 which would destroy the present 11.

No way, not with their age and current state of fitness in mind.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ferguson will be gone within a month

United are going from bad to worse.

That is all

Can I throw this in your face and call u a clown in a month if your wrong?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm begining to wonder what money will be available for new players? With the club saddled with approx 500 million of debt will money be made available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

cheesedude wrote:
    Can I throw this in your face and call u a clown in a month if your wrong?! :rolleyes:

Oh I suppose so.....it's just its hard to keep the faith

Seven Worlds will Collide

Oh I suppose so.....it's just its hard to keep the faith

Indeed ,it's been an annus horribilis for us United Fans but we have got to keep the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

dustaz get your facts right keaneo DID NOT WALK OUT ON IRELAND AT THE WORLD CUP HE WAS SENT HOME ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

With the club saddled with approx 500 million of debt will money be made available?

As far as I'm aware, the conditions Utd have to reach to pay back the interest on the debts are fairly reasonable. The plan assumes they finished 3rd in the league every season, qualify from the group stage of the CL every season and reach the quarter-finals of the CL every 3rd season.

Transfer budget wise, you have to spend eet to make eet as I'm sure the Glaziers are aware, I wouldn't expect Utd to lose out on signing a big player due to want of funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

roykeane16 wrote:
    dustaz get your facts right keaneo DID NOT WALK OUT ON IRELAND AT THE WORLD CUP HE WAS SENT HOME ..

Oh no ! NOW you've gone and done it ! Cue onslaught . . .

ZEN

roykeane16 wrote:

Welcome to the soccer forum , ding ding Round One.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh god NO not that again.

But for the record Keane himself stated on the Dunphy show that he was not sent home he left, so believe him or call him a liar:D

Cue link to McCarthy interview . . .

:D

ZEN

Oh I'm sure The Muppet still has that sound file hosted somewhere :D

• Advertisement

Ahh Bliss . . .normality !:D

Anyone got a wooden spoon handy they could lend me . . . ?

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am also sure he has. If Keane walked out that is the second time he has done it, once for Ireland (by his own admission) and once for Man U. If he was kicked out then I would imagine that the united fans will come down on The management like a tonne of bricks.

irish1 wrote:
    Oh I'm sure The Muppet still has that sound file hosted somewhere :D

I'll view that as a request so here ya go.
    http://www.themuppet.utvinternet.com/keano/index.html

And just for old times sake I may as well resurrect my old sig as well to mark the great man leaving UTD. I'll not leave it there too long as I wouldn't want anyone getting ill over their breakfast again Eh Gandalf.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

macarthy is a idiot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

very short stay you had on the forum roykeane16. Try reading the charter with a bit more care next time.

Banned for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The news on Friday on Roy's departure was a shock to most, although with Roy's track record nothing is impossible. So what now?

Its difficult to guess whats going to happen, but my hunch is as follows. Roy is a family man, so wont be on for a re-location, athough I understand that he has sold his house already (to Nicky Butt) and is renting it, although he is expected to move to a nearby area. He wont go abroad.

Speed wise, he is at the end of his career, and may not relish playing for the likes of a Man City, or a Wigan, or Birmingham (Steve Bruce). He may join them in an advisory capacity. I dont think anything will happen before Xmas. I dont think he will go to Celtic to play, Strachan is happy enough at the moment, things are going well there, a great 3-0 over Rangers on the weekend. etc. (From an Irish perspective, McGeady is playing well).

Roy probably fancies himself as a Coach/Manager, so may get a role somewhere in that capacity. My prediction however, is that Roy will not be a succesful manager. He curently doesnt have the approach thats necessary and I cant see him learning it, although a lot can happen in 7 or 8 years.

I expect he will now take a break from the game, who knows, maybe "write" another book, and perhaps in time get into some TV/media punditry. Roy does learn though and can change. Evidence of that can be seen where his raw end-to-end midfield style at Forest was changed over the years into a central midfield "hub" passing machine for Man U. He also changed personally from being "a langer gurrier from Cork" (no offence intended) to someone that was at least attempting to educate himself, to be a well-read individual and well spoken, etc. Having a family made him grow up, but not for all occasions!

There are a few clubs that could do with his services this season in england though but it will be his choice if he wants to do that. One is Everton who are in dire straights and one of the Neville's is there. (Is Nicky Butt too?). But Kilbane is also there, so who knows. Any role he does take-up this season will be short-term.

But the intrigue in the story is how did Roy get "sacked"? You can call it what you like but thats what it was, a parting of the ways where his services were no longer required, even though they are needed!

Clearly, he thought in his positioning that he was an integral part of Man Utd,
    that he was a core-component of the club/business/team. He was the captain, and he always maintains that the captain has a right to speak his mind.

Clearly there has been a breakdown between himself and Ferguson, not the first one it has to be said, but one which at this time neither of these "stubborn mules" were willing to compromise on. Instead of Roy playing out his last season at Man U and being recognised and feted as an all-time great at Old Trafford, it ends somewhat on a very sour note that cant be washed from the record books - he, as captain, was sacked!

There arent many players that have had to suffer the ignomity of that, and this will rankle in Roy's head, no doubt about that. Ferguson, who's own time is limited but who is still just in control and is now showing it, has done what Roy did to Alfie Halland not so many seasons ago ... "Take that you c.unt!"

In a way, Roy challenged Ferguson's leadership. The "right hand man" who Ferguson had worked so closely with over the years, couldnt leave this one alone and Ferguson did what he had to do and had to sack him. Keane, as usual, went down discussing the money aspect and at the the end of the day was more interested in the "filthy lucre" arrangements in the end than in patching up with Ferguson. This is a trait you will see with Roy. He pits himself first. Not the team that he plays for. He will only sacrifice for the team if it benefits him at the end of the day.

As Roy said in his televised interview with Tommy Gorman after getting kicked out of the world cup and with a tear in his eye: "It hurts, of course it hurts".

Another chapter in the Roy Keane story, an unexpected twist. What will happen next? who knows .....

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    The news on Friday on Roy's departure was a shock to most, although with Roy's track record nothing is impossible. So what now?

Its difficult to guess whats going to happen, but my hunch is as follows. Roy is a family man, so wont be on for a re-location, athough I understand that he has sold his house already (to Nicky Butt) and is renting it, although he is expected to move to a nearby area. He wont go abroad.

Speed wise, he is at the end of his career, and may not relish playing for the likes of a Man City, or a Wigan, or Birmingham (Steve Bruce). He may join them in an advisory capacity. I dont think anything will happen before Xmas. I dont think he will go to Celtic to play, Strachan is happy enough at the moment, things are going well there, a great 3-0 over Rangers on the weekend. etc. (From an Irish perspective, McGeady is playing well).

Roy probably fancies himself as a Coach/Manager, so may get a role somewhere in that capacity. My prediction however, is that Roy will not be a succesful manager. He curently doesnt have the approach thats necessary and I cant see him learning it, although a lot can happen in 7 or 8 years.

I expect he will now take a break from the game, who knows, maybe "write" another book, and perhaps in time get into some TV/media punditry. Roy does learn though and can change. Evidence of that can be seen where his raw end-to-end midfield style at Forest was changed over the years into a central midfield "hub" passing machine for Man U. He also changed personally from being "a langer gurrier from Cork" (no offence intended) to someone that was at least attempting to educate himself, to be a well-read individual and well spoken, etc. Having a family made him grow up, but not for all occasions!

There are a few clubs that could do with his services this season in england though but it will be his choice if he wants to do that. One is Everton who are in dire straights and one of the Neville's is there. (Is Nicky Butt too?). But Kilbane is also there, so who knows. Any role he does take-up this season will be short-term.

But the intrigue in the story is how did Roy get "sacked"? You can call it what you like but thats what it was, a parting of the ways where his services were no longer required, even though they are needed!

Clearly, he thought in his positioning that he was an integral part of Man Utd,
    that he was a core-component of the club/business/team. He was the captain, and he always maintains that the captain has a right to speak his mind.

Clearly there has been a breakdown between himself and Ferguson, not the first one it has to be said, but one which at this time neither of these "stubborn mules" were willing to compromise on. Instead of Roy playing out his last season at Man U and being recognised and feted as an all-time great at Old Trafford, it ends somewhat on a very sour note that cant be washed from the record books - he, as captain, was sacked!

There arent many players that have had to suffer the ignomity of that, and this will rankle in Roy's head, no doubt about that. Ferguson, who's own time is limited but who is still just in control and is now showing it, has done what Roy did to Alfie Halland not so many seasons ago ... "Take that you c.unt!"

In a way, Roy challenged Ferguson's leadership. The "right hand man" who Ferguson had worked so closely with over the years, couldnt leave this one alone and Ferguson did what he had to do and had to sack him. Keane, as usual, went down discussing the money aspect and at the the end of the day was more interested in the "filthy lucre" arrangements in the end than in patching up with Ferguson. This is a trait you will see with Roy. He pits himself first. Not the team that he plays for. He will only sacrifice for the team if it benefits him at the end of the day.

As Roy said in his televised interview with Tommy Gorman after getting kicked out of the world cup and with a tear in his eye: "It hurts, of course it hurts".

Another chapter in the Roy Keane story, an unexpected twist. What will happen next? who knows .....

Redspider

Nice piece of unsubstiated speclation as to what might have happened to go with all the rest that has been published . United fans will want to hear what happened from Keanes own mouth before believing that slant on things. My own guess is that Keano was told United were not renewing his contract next summer and so he decided to go now. One thing for sure if Keano has something to say on the matter publically he will do so.

The Muppet wrote:
    Nice piece of unsubstiated speclation as to what might have happened to go with all the rest that has been published . United fans will want to hear what happened from Keanes own mouth before believing that slant on things. My own guess is that Keano was told United were not renewing his contract next summer and so he decided to go now. One thing for sure if Keano has something to say on the matter publically he will do so.

The question then becomes, will you believe him when he says it.. He said that he left the Ireland squad but still large numbers of United fans disregard the words of their idol to paint a rosier picture of the Sainted Roy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The Muppet wrote:
    Preety much what I think happened too. Keane is not the type to allow United say it was by "mutual consent" if it wasn't. He wasn't happy that there was no contract forthcoming and decided it would be in his interest to leave and United choose not to stand in his way. Thus the "mutual consent" was Keane wanted to go as there was no contract and United allowed him.

They will believe what they want to be believe not what he says, as has been proven in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Keane in shock Juve link
    Monday 21 November, 2005
    Italian League leaders Juventus are interested in netting Roy Keane, according to reports on Monday.

The former Manchester United captain left Old Trafford last week and a number of clubs have been associated despite his advancing years.

The ex-Republic of Ireland ace is now 34, but the Stadio Delle Alpi outfit are allegedly keen on grabbing the experienced midfielder.

Juventus are seemingly attracted by the idea that Keane is available on a free transfer, even if he wouldn’t be eligible for the Champions League.

The Bianconeri already have one of the best central midfield partnerships in world football, with Emerson being flanked by ex-Arsenal man Patrick Vieira - who had his fair share of run-ins with Keane in the Premiership.

However, there are concerns that Manuele Blasi and Giuliano Giannichedda don’t offer the back-up support which boss Fabio Capello is looking for.

Nevertheless, there are doubts regarding the validity of the story, especially for readers of The Independent.

They claim that Keane's lawyer Michael Kennedy approached the Turin giants about a move, but the Old Lady showed no interest.

That same publication suggests that Roma, and not Juventus, are the only Serie A force who are pondering a swoop.

A host of Premiership clubs, plus Scottish giants Celtic, have also been paired with the former Nottingham Forest maestro.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/nov21a.html

keane,vieria and emerson at Juventus? :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Didn't Keane say that he thought that this season would be his last there anyway? So I doubt this latest incident was simply as a result of him finding out that he would not be offered a new contract.

And the latest on the captaincy issue

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=326967&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Alex+ponders+captaincy+options&channel=football_home

Mentions of Neville, Giggs, RVN, then even Rooney and Smith. Not a word about Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Damn, would have liked to see Keane as a zebra!! And next to Vieira, how funny would that be!

irish1 wrote:
    They will believe what they want to be believe not what he says, as has been proven in the past.

Ah don't be like that Irish 1.;)

I assume it is Saipan you and T4TF are referring to. The difference is that Saipan was played out in public for all to see as it happened so everyone that lived through it is aware of what happened and when. The sound clip I always link to to explaine my reasons fro believing what I do consists of extracts from from Official Press Releases at the time and from Keanes own DVD . IMO they are an accurate reflection of what actually happened. As you know I am aware of what Keane said on The Dunphy show months after Saipan but I don't believe that comment accurately reflected the reality of the situation.

Keane leaving United is different in that it all played out in private and I,m sure if one party releases their side of events it will be challenged by the other if is not an accurate reflection of what happened .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm a bit surprised at the news but not entirely shocked.
    It's funny though, I was away in Germany at the weekend and we flew out early on Friday morning and when the plane landed everybody turned their mobile phones on and there was this guy that was with a group of lads on a Stags weekend.

When he turned his phone on there was obviously a message from one of his mates telling him that Roy Keane had left. He just shouted out, "Oh My God! Roy Keane has left United" and everyone on the plane was in in shock. It was like someone announcing that Kennedy had been assasinated. ;)

Ah football, it's a funny old game.

Just in response to the speculation that he'll go to another PL club, did he not say in his recent MUTV interview that he would not go to another PL club due to the fact that he could not bear to go to the away team dressing room?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just in response to the speculation that he'll go to another PL club, did he not say in his recent MUTV interview that he would not go to another PL club due to the fact that he could not bear to go to the away team dressing room?

B.

That is exactly what he said. About time you remembered it...the bs was getting too much in this thread.

Keane also said he left the Ireland squad, something he then went on to change his mind on. What suggests to you that he would not change his mind again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

reminds me a bit of when Cantona left, but just odd timing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

cheesedude wrote:
    That is exactly what he said. About time you remembered it...the bs was getting too much in this thread.

What do you mean "about time I remembered it"?

B.

Keane also said he left the Ireland squad, something he then went on to change his mind on. What suggests to you that he would not change his mind again.

Here we go again. Everyone Knows he left the Ireland Squad, or to be more precise the Ireland Squad left him in his hotel room is Saipan. He had no option but to return home when Mc Catrthy told him he couldn't play for him. A read of the independent genesis report which vindicated Keane will put any level headed person right on events but there will always be a few that want to ignore the full facts and cruicfy Keane.

The Muppet wrote:
    Here we go again. Everyone Knows he left the Ireland Squad, or to be more precise the Ireland Squad left him in his hotel room is Saipan. He had no option but to return home when Mc Catrthy told him he couldn't play for him. A read of the independent genesis report which vindicated Keane will put any level headed person right on events but there will always be a few that want to ignore the full facts and cruicfy Keane.

Here we go again ?? KEANE LEFT IRELAND, get over it, you agree, KEANE agrees, Dunphy agrees, no matter how much you try to explain it away, he did it and you cannot change that no matter how much you try to muddy the waters with statements like "the Ireland Squad left him in his hotel room". He left, he did not help Ireland to go forward in the world cup, thems the facts.

So what is the problem then ? He left, that is all I said, that some fanboys of his maintain that he did not leave is the unfortunate thing. As regards the Genesis report, any level headed person who did read that would also recognise that while Keane was right in what he said, he was completely out of order in the way he went about his moaning and whinging, he still has not managed to pick all of his toys back up after that incident and now he has potentially chucked some more there to joins those left from Saipan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The thing about Roy is that he always brings out emotions in people because of the way he does things. He is far from being the perfect professional. Everyone agrees that he has talent, and had more talent, but he has his blemishes, blots on his copybook, blackmarks on his report card, call it what you will. Most people see those, and for those that dont they need to open their eyes, take off the blinkers.

Some people are willing to forgive him for those "mistakes" and look at them something like "it wasnt Roys fault that there were no footballs and kit ready in Saipan", etc. Some people are not willing to forgive him with something like "what, he left his country at the world cup when they needed him most", etc.

Some people will try to sit on the fence, but for most of us, everyone has some sort of opinion on Roy, his decisions, his attitude, his level of success.

The Man U situation is different than the Irish/Saipan one, which is different than the Alfie Haaland challenge, etc. But for anyone who is trying to form an opinion about Roy, his talents and his problems, they need to assess him in whole, not in parts, not per incident, but in whole. And you should see good parts and bad parts.

And that is the dillemma, the dichotomy of Roy, he is "good" but he is also "bad". Some say he is only as good as he is/was because of his bad streak. That is probably true to some extent. But there are many footballers over the decades that have been good and have not been nasty. Indeed, Roy has done a great job in controlling his anger, his nasty aspects. The number of red-cards he has received has dorpped substantially in recent years.

So,
    How many footballers do you know who have purposely gone out to injure someone?

How many footballers do you know who let themselves get into a situation where they left their country during the world cup campaign?

How many footballers do you know who let themselves get into a situation where they were effectively sacked in mid-season from their club and as captain?

The school-report card written on Roy aged 14 is the same as his card now when he is 34:

"Has some talent, sometimes petulent, needs to apply himself better".

redspider

redspider wrote:
    So,
    Many - Keanes mistake was admitting he had done it and even that I feel was dramatised by Dunphy in the book. I am sure most people here will have players on teams they play against that they will say on a Sat morning, "that Bo11ix is playing for X today, I owe him one. If I get the chance I will catch him late."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    Many - Keanes mistake was admitting he had done it and even that I feel was dramatised by Dunphy in the book. I am sure most people here will have players on teams they play against that they will say on a Sat morning, "that Bo11ix is playing for X today, I owe him one. If I get the chance I will catch him late."
    I play football at a reasonably competitive level, and I've been pissed off by players many a time. I've returned the favour of going in extremely hard in the next subsequent slide tackle I get in with someone.

But anyone who holds a grudge for months (years?) over something as stupid as telling a player to stop faking an injury (regardless of whether the player was injured or not) and responds by lunging in above the knee with no intention to do anything but injure the player is a scumbag in my opinion, and is a scumbag regardless of what ever level they play at. That sort of thing has no place in the game, again whether it be on a muddy pitch in the middle of a public park on a Sunday, or in the CL final.

Keane was a fantastic footballer, and still has a lot to offer in the game, but anyone who remotely tries to condone (or ignore) the Haaland incident is completely kidding themselves. I don't recall a more shocking incident on a football pitch in England.

• Advertisement

Here we go again ?? KEANE LEFT IRELAND, get over it, you agree, KEANE agrees, Dunphy agrees, no matter how much you try to explain it away, he did it and you cannot change that no matter how much you try to muddy the waters with statements like "the Ireland Squad left him in his hotel room". He left, he did not help Ireland to go forward in the world cup, thems the facts.

So what is the problem then ? He left, that is all I said, that some fanboys of his maintain that he did not leave is the unfortunate thing. As regards the Genesis report, any level headed person who did read that would also recognise that while Keane was right in what he said, he was completely out of order in the way he went about his moaning and whinging, he still has not managed to pick all of his toys back up after that incident and now he has potentially chucked some more there to joins those left from Saipan.

Nothing Personal in the here we go again comment T4TH , this has been discussed to death here thats all i meant by that comment.

IT is true that Keane left the Ireland squad ie he was dismissed by the manager and returned home while the rest of the squad went on to Japan. The problem arises when people say he walked out and betrayed his country. That does not accurately reflect the reality of situation as it was reported at the time.

In any argument I find the truth usually lies somwhere between each parties stated position. TBH It's a little blinkered to form your opinion by focusing on one throw away comment on a TV show and ignore all the other evidence already in the public domain , That to me demonstrates "Fanboyism" as much as anything else.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

KEANE LEFT IRELAND
    :rolleyes:

This headline seems to disagree... http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/worldcup.html

So does McCarthy.

I play football at a reasonably competitive level, and I've been pissed off by players many a time. I've returned the favour of going in extremely hard in the next subsequent slide tackle I get in with someone.

But anyone who holds a grudge for months (years?) over something as stupid as telling a player to stop faking an injury (regardless of whether the player was injured or not) and responds by lunging in above the knee with no intention to do anything but injure the player is a scumbag in my opinion, and is a scumbag regardless of what ever level they play at. That sort of thing has no place in the game, again whether it be on a muddy pitch in the middle of a public park on a Sunday, or in the CL final.

Keane was a fantastic footballer, and still has a lot to offer in the game, but anyone who remotely tries to condone (or ignore) the Haaland incident is completely kidding themselves. I don't recall a more shocking incident on a football pitch in England.
    I wasn't trying to glamourise it but everyone knows this happens. There are players that don't like each other. Keanes mistake was putting this in his book while still playing. I would imagine Norman Hunter,Graham Souness or even Bryan Robson were equally guilty of similar offences. It was a bad tackle but I have seen far worse tackles that that not even get red cards.

AFAIK(I stand corrected) didn't Giles admit to the same thing and it ended a players career.

found it
    http://www.soccernet.com/columns/2002/0820/20020820featgiles.html
    Had I told the truth, my book would have been filled with the vendetta stories which have hurtled Keane into such controversy.

I waited many years to get even with Chelsea's Eddie McCreadie, who had endangered my career with a late tackle that damaged ligaments. Then when the opportunity came I did him with the coldest of calculation.

John Fitzpatrick, a young Manchester United player who had acquired a reputation for being an up-and-coming hard man, was warned that he should stay away from me.

But the word was that he had not taken the hint. So when a 50-50 ball came along, it was seen by both of us as a matter of survival that we got in the first strike. I did, and it may well have contributed to ending his career. At the time I didn't feel guilt because, in my 'blinkered' world, it had been a simple matter of self-preservation.

I could justify my action. I had a living to earn, as a midfielder with a reputation for skill and creativity, and already my career had been threatened by unscrupulous opponents. It was the culture of football in a much more pronounced way than it is today.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    :rolleyes:

This headline seems to disagree... http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/worldcup.html

So does McCarthy.

Roll eyes just makes your remark all the more inane. :v: :v:

But Keane said it. So it seems that he disagrees with what you have said, but hey what would he know, he was one of the main protagonists in the whole debacle. Would you care to take it up with him.

I don't disagree with most of your post but I would take issue with the questions you have posed and your synopsis.

I'd say plenty but how many have been honest/silly (whic every way you view it) enough to admit it publically.
    How many footballers do you know who let themselves get into a situation where they were effectively sacked in mid-season from their club and as captain?

Thats just an assumption, my assumption posted earlier is just as likely to have happened Plenty of players have fallen out with their manager mid season and been dropped.
    The school-report card written on Roy aged 14 is the same as his card now when he is 34:

"Has some talent, sometimes petulent, needs to apply himself better".

Needs to apply himself better? Is this still Roy Keane we are talking about. Even the most ardent anti Keane supporter would have to admit that when he takes to teh pitch one thing he never lacked was application and commitment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement