Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Biddy Story of monumentally Stupid proportions

• 18-11-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

Quick recap before i actually tell story, the mother wanted to get a cordless phone for ages as where the phone is she cant hear it properly, so today she decides to ring Eircom and I swear this is what was said as I was standing right next to her

First mistake i actually made was asking whether the Handsfree could possibly interfere with my wireless broadband connection, she said no, all this time she was typing away in the background, then she came back with this

Quoting her word for word "Well it seems your line has been enabled for Broadband since 1998 :eek: so i cant see any problems with the cordless phone

At this stage the migraine started, so i did a quick recap of my whole story, and all i got for my trouble was oh well ill just change the date then, and the hilarity didnt stop there, apparently according to this Numpty we have a rented phone from eircom in the premises, again we went HUH, quickly looked at all the bills and came to the conclusion that no we actually didnt, she said havent you got BB, we said yes, oh right says she well thats why your BB modem is classed as a phone, if someone could confirm this thatd be great prolly half true, but considering i cant make calls seems foolish :)

Anyhoo upshot of it was that she then took this rented phone that we supposedly have but dont off our records, if shes ****ed up my Broadband ill have blue bloody murder, as this is what were supposed to be paying rental to eircom for again :eek:

So a supposedly 5 minute call to get a cordless phone turned into a bloody fiasco, honestly it beggars belief the people call centres employ these days, the level of intelligence drops considerably

Roll on the ten working days for the phone to come through, betcha anything the order has already been lost in there system

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Why did you go to Eircom looking for a cordless phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Why did you go to Eircom looking for a cordless phone?

it wasnt me that actively went looking, i begged the mother not to ring em but she wouldnt listen, so what could i do only be there when she rang them to make sure they didnt sign her up for anything other then this phone

shin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Buy one in Argos and give it to her. If she refuses, beat her to death with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

It's a real example of how so many Irish people still think €ircon are the only company to deal with when it comes to anything to do with a phone and they trust them completely too. It's scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Well one thing about eircom is that their Cordless phones are damn handy for cheapo landline txting, ie. you can send a txt from your landline no. eg. 01, xxxxx and also recieve at that address. I checked around last year and could find no electrical store with a cordless that could txt, but Eircom left me keep the Normal Eircom phone and sent on a new Eircom cordless phone and that is rented out now instead of the old one, i get to keep the old one and rent the eircom cordless the same as i did with the table phone. and if anything happens to hit say it get broken or gives up Eircom will replace it with a new unit. the cost was €10 added to the phone bill once off for the posting out of the phone and "admisistration" so for a tener you get a phone for life, plus the small rental charge, like any half decent cordless is €100+ and when it breaks you have to replace the damn thing.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    I checked around last year and could find no electrical store with a cordless that could txt
    I bought my Panasonic 2 pack and Siemens single well over a year ago, and most of the medium- to high-end phones could do SMS at that stage. I'd say a good 90-95% of them have it by default now.

Anyone that buys anything from Eircom by choice today is a moron, period.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I guess i'm a moron so, (thats personal abuse btw)
    Eircom are Ireland's leading telecommunications company, I'd say that stands for something. I know a lot of people have a grudge against them for the fact that most of the Irish population can't get broadband, heck i can't myself. But they are working towards righting it. I don't hold no ill feeling towards Eircom at all, its the government i hold responsible, they privatised it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Anyone that buys anything from Eircom by choice today is a moron, period.
    Unless, of course... wait, what's that?
    adam's sig wrote:
    If you're stupid, please don't reply to my posts.
    Oh. Nevermindso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

netwhizkid wrote:
    I know a lot of people have a grudge against them for the fact that most of the Irish population can't get broadband, heck i can't myself. But they are working towards righting it. I don't hold no ill feeling towards Eircom at all, its the government i hold responsible, they privatised it.

What are you taking which makes you believe that?

eircom will never do **** about your line or any other line which fails the broadband test. Anything with eircom is hit and miss, they do everything in their power to destroy competition.

I think you are in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Any Siemens cordless phone will do texting, as far as I know. In fact, the phones Eircom sell are simply rebranded Siemens handsets. You can get them considerably cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    I guess i'm a moron so, (thats personal abuse btw)
    No it's not. Read my post. I very specifically said "today"; you were talking about last year.
    But they are working towards righting it.
    See the guy that started this thread? His name is shinzon. Ask him what they're doing to right it. Then put on the kettle, because you'll have some /serious/ reading ahead of you.

UW is right above btw, Eircom's handets have been rebranded Siemens for at last three years, and they've done SMS for all that time, as have all their other handsets.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Any Siemens cordless phone will do texting, as far as I know. In fact, the phones Eircom sell are simply rebranded Siemens handsets. You can get them considerably cheaper elsewhere.
    They have been available in Roches Stores, 3G and Argos for ages. I'm sure they will be available in most places which sell phones. I'd much rather buy from a shop than try getting it from eircom.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some of the Eircom phones are rebranded Sagem. Like the ones with colour screens that also copy mobile SIM's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

TimTim wrote:
    What are you taking which makes you believe that?

eircom will never do **** about your line or any other line which fails the broadband test. Anything with eircom is hit and miss, they do everything in their power to destroy competition.

I think you are in the wrong place.

I think YOUR in the wrong place. I wasnt suitable for broadband, eircom fixed my line, i have broadband now. Job done.

The cordless phones are cheaper to buy off eircom themselves.
    Ie. an Eircom siemens 6010 is €99.95 from 3G http://www.buy4now.ie/3G/productdetail.aspx?pid=218&loc=P&catid=1.0

and the same phone is €69.95 from eircom http://eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

and at the moment all land line to land line text messages with eircom are free until march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dazz

orla wrote:
    I think YOUR in the wrong place. I wasnt suitable for broadband, eircom fixed my line, i have broadband now. Job done.

The cordless phones are cheaper to buy off eircom themselves.
    Ie. an Eircom siemens 6010 is €99.95 from 3G http://www.buy4now.ie/3G/productdetail.aspx?pid=218&loc=P&catid=1.0

and the same phone is €69.95 from eircom http://eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

and at the moment all land line to land line text messages with eircom are free until march

3G have the phone for the same price as eircom, was just in there today, better off buying a phone from them, least if something goes wrong, can always go back into a store. Gets really annoying with eircom since they're
    only over the phone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

shinzon wrote:
    Quick recap before i actually tell story, the mother wanted to get a cordless phone for ages as where the phone is she cant hear it properly, so today she decides to ring Eircom and I swear this is what was said as I was standing right next to her

First mistake i actually made was asking whether the Handsfree could possibly interfere with my wireless broadband connection, she said no, all this time she was typing away in the background, then she came back with this

Quoting her word for word "Well it seems your line has been enabled for Broadband since 1998 :eek: so i cant see any problems with the cordless phone

At this stage the migraine started, so i did a quick recap of my whole story, and all i got for my trouble was oh well ill just change the date then, and the hilarity didnt stop there, apparently according to this Numpty we have a rented phone from eircom in the premises, again we went HUH, quickly looked at all the bills and came to the conclusion that no we actually didnt, she said havent you got BB, we said yes, oh right says she well thats why your BB modem is classed as a phone, if someone could confirm this thatd be great prolly half true, but considering i cant make calls seems foolish :)

Anyhoo upshot of it was that she then took this rented phone that we supposedly have but dont off our records, if shes ****ed up my Broadband ill have blue bloody murder, as this is what were supposed to be paying rental to eircom for again :eek:

So a supposedly 5 minute call to get a cordless phone turned into a bloody fiasco, honestly it beggars belief the people call centres employ these days, the level of intelligence drops considerably

Roll on the ten working days for the phone to come through, betcha anything the order has already been lost in there system

Shin

relax, your such a drama queen :rolleyes:

so some computer entrys about your phone line was incorrect... pff who fcuking cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

netwhizkid wrote:
    ....But they are working towards righting it.....its the government i hold responsible...

Seriously, do some research.

The 2nd point I agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

bounty wrote:
    relax, your such a drama queen :rolleyes:

so some computer entrys about your phone line was incorrect... pff who fcuking cares?

oh dear lord :rolleyes:

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

much ado about nothing TBH. Since your mother is living in the past: tell her 3G stores = eircom still.. *shrug*

and,uh.. "Anyone that buys anything from Eircom by choice today is a moron, period." is a generalisation,so it doesn't really consitute "personal abuse" whizzy. But,hey, who am I to argue with you if you say the shoe fits..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

netwhizkid wrote:
    Well one thing about eircom is that their Cordless phones are damn handy for cheapo landline txting, ie. you can send a txt from your landline no. eg. 01, xxxxx and also recieve at that address. I checked around last year and could find no electrical store with a cordless that could txt.

You mustn't have looked very hard. Woodies & Roches (to name mainstream shops) have had text-capable phones for at least 2-3 years (they are ideal places to check before you go buy online..).

But hey... if you're happy to pay rent for a phone worth around 40 euro then fire ahead. I'm sure eircom love customers like that.

• Advertisement

Not that I don't agree with you on the general principle of buying from thieving scum, but for the record: You can buy handsets outright from Eircom.

adam

Advertisement