Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

where can i get a fiberglass making kit?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i want to make something for my car, so...

...anyone know any websites or shops that sell fiberglass making kits?
    [or can anyone give any advice on using the stuff?]

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I doubt you could actually "MAKE" it but I believe what you want is to make something with a kit !

If so you could call to your local autofactors or motor paint suppliers and ask for a price on the various size tubs they sell. This stuff is pre-mixed so you dont have to lay it out and paint the resin over it. Its much easier that way but depends on the application !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

my nearest motor factors is halfords, you reckon they would have it?

just called them. problem solved!
    that was quick ;)
    thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hold back on halfords for a minute!What exactly are you looking to mould with it?

If its something large and you need fibreglass and resin in bulk then go to a boat shop or boat repair place,itl work out cheaper than buying a few repair packs from halfords.

Also dont forget your P38 filler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

eireal wrote:
    Hold back on halfords for a minute!What exactly are you looking to mould with it?

If its something large and you need fibreglass and resin in bulk then go to a boat shop or boat repair place,itl work out cheaper than buying a few repair packs from halfords.

Also dont forget your P38 filler!

True.

Halfords aka. Halfrauds.
    There's bound to be cheaper elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If your making something big, as stated before, go to a boat repair shop/chandlery shop.

You can put fibreglass matt which goes rock solid when mixed with resin. You then get filler to smoothen it off

what i'm making is bigger than A4, but only about 8cm tall [and hollow]
    i got a fiberglass paste for about €12, but i will get the sheets and resin kit [for €15] if that doesn't work out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For tips on using it you could look at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ , they have a fabrication section for people mounting PCs in their cars, screens in the dash etc, they have some good how-tos and tips stickys.

Advertisement