Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get a fibreglass making kit?

• 18-11-2005 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum for this...

...anyone know any websites or shops that sell fiberglass making kits?
    [or can anyone give any advice on using the stuff?]

dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Hehe, its been years since I've done anything with fiberglass.
    (repaired a nasty tear in the hhull of my boat)
    But, one thing, be very careful with the stuff. Its like two part compound glue.
    Make sure youre outside when making it, as its very strong.

Perhaps you could get a kit in a boat repair shop or somesuch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

don't get it on your fingers as i think there's bits of glass in it too. i was always banned from touching the stuff in the attic and told not to breathe near it as i could swallow particles of it if they we're floating around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont know how much you need but any Motor Factors should have kits on the shelf.Usually a kit contains roughly two A4 size sheets aswell as the compound and hardner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

yeah, i got some in halfords yesterday. now i need to make a mould... and it needs to set pretty fast. i'm guessing clay or polyfilla or someting like that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What are you making?I use fibre glass kits to make caves,fake rocks(theyre lighter than the real thing plus you can make them any size,shape that you want) etc for my reptile cages.

I usually make a frame from chicken wire,lay the fibre glass sheets over the frame and paint on the compound and then remove the chicken wire(if possible) so that I end up with a fibreglass cave.

• Advertisement

what i'm making is bigger than A4, but only about 8cm tall [and hollow]
    i got a fiberglass paste for about €12, but i will get the sheets and resin kit [for €15] if that doesn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

You could use polystyrene to create your mold, using plaster to fill in any holes or irregularities. Then paint with emulsion (the solvents in some fibreglass resins eat into the polystyrene). It may not give the smoothest finish but it is relatively quick and easy to create a mold.

yeah, that's a good idea, but i've already started using the plaster, but will probably have to buy more soon - i don't have enough.

the paste was a complete disaster, but i got the sheets and resin, and it rocks!

Advertisement