Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on a 3rd provisional

Options
  • 18-11-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone gotton in trouble for driving on a provisional without a fully licenced driver beside them? I mean - its illegal right? Except for on your second provisional.

Where do people stand on this. I need to get my full licence and my instructor told me that it was virtually impossible to get it with just lessons - that i need practice - but i cant practice without my own car......

Any thoughts would be cool.

thanks,

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I drove around for about 6 months on a 4th provisional and never once had a problem (probably because i wasnt stopped) but i had no probs with it at all.
    I was only driving for that 6 months. I had so many licences because i had provisional bike licence in which i stupidly filled in the car aswell.
    It is illegal but you can still get insured so its up to you to take the risk.
    SM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

You dont need a car for lessons!! use the instructors car....you are paying for lesson so use there car!! :D ....you can also use it for test if it is a proper company so problem solved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I know a chap who was driving his mothers car on his first provisional with no L plates, he was asked to show licence and insurance within 10 days at a station of his choice and sent on his way.

There are plenty of people driving about on 1,3,4+ provo licences and a blind eye is being turned, expect that to change though when (if?) the times are reduced from their current one year waiting lists

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I cant pay 30 quid whenever i want to "practice"!

Yeah everyone I know on a provisional has never had any trouble with it - so i think i will be risking it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Keedowah wrote:
    I need to get my full licence and my instructor told me that it was virtually impossible to get it with just lessons
    Then get a better instructor. Millions of people all over the world manage to learn to drive with only lessons from a qualified driving instructor, so why are you an exception?
    but i cant practice without my own car......
    Parents, friends, relatives ... driving instructor? Feeble excuse, if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Keedowah wrote:
    Yeah everyone I know on a provisional has never had any trouble with it - so i think i will be risking it...
    Just don't go "risking it" when you're sharing the same bit of road as me then if you don't mind.

Dont worry - I wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I very much doubt it would be a problem. I drove on my own for 14 months while i waited for my test and got stopped at checkpoints etc. and never had any problems.

I clocked up a lot of hours driving before i did my test and could never have afforded to spend all those hours with an instructor, altogether i spent only 6 hours with an instructor and passed first time. My sister on the other hand did less driving on her own and more driving with an instructor. We both did our tests on the same day with the same examiner and she failed.

Don't start driving on your own straight away but theres no point getting only 1 or 2 hours of practice per week with an instructor for over a year as theres only so much you can learn, you need to get out in the car regularly to get comfortable behind the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I was done by a traffic corps guard for driving on a 3rd provisional unaccompanied 6 weeks ago. I have a court appearance in a few months for this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<rant>
    Q. Just out of curiosity, why did you have to get your 3rd provisional?
    A. You are on it because you have not passed your test so in the eyes of the law you are not good enough to drive on your own and obviously the law sees you as a potential risk that needs to be guided by a qualified driver!
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Keedowah wrote:

You obviously see driving as your "right". It is not, it's a privilege

I am on my third provisional because I got my first one years ago when i had a job - which i left to go back to college - so i couldn't afford to take lessons and let it run out.

After college i applied for my second licence but things changed in my life and I didn't take any lessons or apply for my test.

now things are back on track and I want to drive - i have taken 6 or 7 lessons with a qualified instructor - I dont believe in starting with your friends - i am sure it is ok for some people but I would rather get it done properly from the start.

You assume a lot from a little... I am not an ignorant person - but you are sure that I am. I have seen plenty of carnage on the roads and been affected by my fair share of it - I wouldn't dare venture on the road without getting more lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Keedowah wrote:

In fairness its a good point. You do need practice and a reasonable amount of experience to pass, the few hours driving with an instructor isnt enough. You wouldnt be long covering the cost of a car paying €30 an hour.

It would be nice if people werent so self righteous about the whole thing! If this was the biggest trangression people engage in we wouldnt have half the accidents.

Yes, you are supposed to be accompanied, and yes you can be fined. So long as you dont act the maggot, the chances are you wont get into any trouble. Practically every driver on their frist provisional drives on their own, and one such person rear ended a mate of mine. The guard said nothing. A distict court judge recently said the driving in such a manner may render your insurance void, but the insurers federation say it is their practice to insure such people anyway. Pay your money and take your choice.

I drove unaccompanied on my first provisional, as did everyone I know (maybe its the whole rebel county thing). I have never personally heard of anyone being done for it.

Advertisement