Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network-enabled HD chassis

• 18-11-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

A while ago a mate forwarded me a link for a network enabled external HD chassis. It had both wifi and ethernet connectors on the back. It took up to 2 3.5" IDE drives.

Problem is, I can't find the link that he sent me. It was from some crowd in the UK. Has any one come across a similar product anywhere?

With Christmas coming and all, the missus is asking people what she should get me and they're asking me.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

This http://www.netgear.ie/digital_home_sc101.php should do the trick for you (albeit with bigger drives)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Thanks Dr S. Seems to fit the bill. The cheapest I could find it was in VC Computers up in Donegal. Comes to about €150 including VAT and delivery.

Time to start dropping hints.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Good luck - hope Santa brings what you want! :p

Here's the gadget I was originally referring to. Only takes 2.5". Could have sworn it was 3.5". Anyway, it's been discontinued.

WRT the Netgear SC101 Dr. S redirected me to, the nice folks in IT Direct can get it in for €135. So it looks like my mission has come to an end. Thanks again Dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Komplett do a version that just holds a single 2.5" drive. Wireless or usb2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

How are you going to use it? Just curious.

Well it looks like the SC101 isn't a go-er for what I want. I plan to prise my youngfella's XBox off him. It's already been softmodded with XBox Media Centre and works fine. Problem is I need his PC switched on to access all my files. I wanted a cheap-ass NAS solution.

Anyway, the SC101 seems to employ a proprietary filesystem and network protocol. There isn't any Linux support for it so it's not going to work on XBMC and it doesn't use SMB or anything.

So, my next path to take is a Linksys NSLU with USB 2.0 drives attached. If needs be, I'll zap the Linksys with Slug or some other 3rd party firmware to make it do other tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

i had been looking at that netgear product myself for my forthcoming sonos system but i had a nosey on the sonos forums and that won't work for me,
    they were recommending a buffalo linkstation,
    oh i dunno what to do !!

Buffalo have the Linkstation as discontinued. Still, it looks pricey (€200+). The Linksys looks like it's in or around the €80 mark (no HD included). USB chassis for around €40 would leave at least €80 for a HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2345&nr=25413&prodn=Network+MediaPlayer+3%2E5%22+Kit
    I ordered this from Scan last week, haven't got it yet.
    Its also available on Pixmania and a few other sites.

Basically it is a Hard disk enclosure with a remote and TV outputs and Network & USB ports.
    The one I ordered from Scan comes with a free 80 gig HDD for a limited time....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

WezzyB wrote:
    http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2345&nr=25413&prodn=Network+MediaPlayer+3%2E5%22+Kit
    I ordered this from Scan last week, haven't got it yet.
    Its also available on Pixmania and a few other sites.

Basically it is a Hard disk enclosure with a remote and TV outputs and Network & USB ports.
    The one I ordered from Scan comes with a free 80 gig HDD for a limited time....

They have them in PCworld - probably at a robbery price - but may be worth a visit to have a gander at it before ordering on line.

Saw it in Pcworld airside swords.

They're on PC World's UK site for (at least) €240. Scan's offer has gone out of stock! But it looks like this is a strong candidate. Just need to find somewhere that has it in stock.

There is a review of the 'Media Player 3' on this website:
    http://www.cache-community.co.uk/content/view/63/26/

Only difference to the Kit version that I'm getting is the lack of a small lcd screen on the front.

BTW the cost of this thing is working out at just over €210, which is pricey if all you want is network storage.

ShopIreland/Amazon have it for €185 including delivery. Went over to PC World Liffey Valley this afternoon but it wasn't there.

The alternative is as Linksys NSLU and an enclosure. That would probably come in at about €120/€130. So for the extra €50 or so, I'm getting a DivX player. I have another home for the XBox Media Centre so the Freecom is looking like a contender. Now, how many times have I said that in the course of this thread.

Wezzy B, one thing you can find out for me when it arrives, can the drive in the Mediaplayer be accessed over the network? I've downloaded the manual and it only talks about setting up shares on a Windows PC and accessing them from the Mediaplayer. There's nothing about accessing the Mediaplayer over the network from a PC. Can't find anything on the web about this side of things. That would be a major factor for my set up.

Edit:
    Feck it anyway. According to this thread on their support forum you can't access the HD in the Mediaplayer over the network. I was hoping to stick all my media on this and then be able to access it from PC/laptop/XBox on the network. Doesn't look like this is possible.

It arrived during the week.
    I thought that it would allow access over the network thats one of the reasons why I got the thing.
    Unfortunately it doesn't as you have found out.
    Very disappointed about that.

I have got it to view Pics and play Music across the network from my laptop but not vice versa. You have to use the USB connection for that.

My impressions on it are:
    CONS:
    Very drab/dull UI.
    Slow playback of Hi-Res images.
    Can't browse during playback.

PROS:
    Good video playback, features, plays most of my MPEGs, AVIs, DIVXs and DVDs
    Good Remote.

If FREECOM could enable sharing over network via a Firmware upgrade I would be a bit more forgiving of this device.
    Another thing I would like in a firmware upgrade would be better UI/Skin.

Alternatively you could get a modded XBox and install XBMC and a new harddrive this would do everthing you need and might cost less. You could also wait and see what happens with X360 and what your options could be with it.

Thanks WezzyB. Yes, I got a second XBox over the weekend, brought it home and soft-modded it immediately. This is the second XBMC that I have in the house now and we'll be getting a 360 at some stage. I was hoping that MS would enable DivX/Xvid support for th 360 but it looks like they haven't done anything like that. So the drawback is that all of your video content has to be WVM. That's no good for me. In any case, the 360 will be in the same room as a PC so that can be used instead. Might just install MediaPortal on it for it to 'fit in' with the rest of the house.

With the XBox prices beginning to drop (€125 in Game when you buy any game - incl. €10 pre-owned titles) I think that the XBox will be popular for tuner-less HTPC solutions. MS could always support the XBMC project especially if it means leasing a new life into an old product and getting money for old rope.

For a bit of fun I'm going to hack a female USB connector cable together so I can fool around with attaching an external HD to it. At USB 1.1 speeds I know that there might be problems but it'll do until I get an NSLU sometime after Christmas.

Advertisement