Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid to Leeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    Leeds are lining up a loan move for Andy Reid. We have failed to capture the signings of Mattie Holland and Michael Brown recently so Kevin Blackwell is still looking to bring a player in and Reid is the next one he is going for. I would love it if we could sign Reid. Proven Championship class and he needs first team football because ex Leeds player Aaron Lennon has taken his place and Reid isnt getting a look in. Hopefully we can sign him on a short term loan

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=146670

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=16384114%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=football%2dspy%2d%2dblackwell%2dfancies%2da%2dnew%2dreid-name_page.html

I think this would be a good move for Reid until January when hopefully Tottenham will sell him. He had a few good games at the start of the year but then his form nosedived and Jol doesn't seem to rate him much since. Lennon's form hasn't helped either.

I'd love to see him at Blackburn. Think he could do a good job for us when David Bentley returns from loan to Arsenal and would be good competition for Emerton on the right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I mentioned this on Foot.ie but I really think Reid is made for the centre. He hasn't really been involved in much goals for Spurs since he joined but only about 10 premiership players had put in more tackles than him before he got dropped. His range of passing is as good as you can ask. He has all the attributes to be a central midfielder. All he has to do is look at Emre. He was previously a left winger and converted to a central midfielder. Both about the same height too.

His debut for Ireland was in a central role, he set up two goals and got MOTM. His superb long ball to set up Keane in his first couple of Spurs games was from the centre. His long ball to set up Keane against Israel was from the centre. He has played there plenty for Forest. He played behind the strikers for Spurs reserves recently and got absolutely rave reviews. I don't mean play him behind the strikers though, I'd like to see him actually play the central midfield position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm a big fan of Reid, pity he isn't really getting a look in at Spurs. Leeds could be good for him but he is definitely Premiership standard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    I mentioned this on Foot.ie but I really think Reid is made for the centre. He hasn't really been involved in much goals for Spurs since he joined but only about 10 premiership players had put in more tackles than him before he got dropped. His range of passing is as good as you can ask. He has all the attributes to be a central midfielder. All he has to do is look at Emre. He was previously a left winger and converted to a central midfielder. Both about the same height too.

His debut for Ireland was in a central role, he set up two goals and got MOTM. His superb long ball to set up Keane in his first couple of Spurs games was from the centre. His long ball to set up Keane against Israel was from the centre. He has played there plenty for Forest. He played behind the strikers for Spurs reserves recently and got absolutely rave reviews. I don't mean play him behind the strikers though, I'd like to see him actually play the central midfield position.

Leeds are trying to sign him as a central midfield player and not as a winger. I personally think he is more suited to the centre as well as he is a very creative player with a good range of passing. He doesnt have the pace to beat players in order to be a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hows miller getting on at leeds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Only played one game so far and he did ok.He was in and out of the game but it was only one day after he signed for us so he only had one training session with the team before that game. He passed the ball well when he got it but didnt put in any tackles or anything and was eventually substituted. Hopefully he will have improved for tomorrows match against Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Reid, pity he isn't really getting a look in at Spurs. Leeds could be good for him but he is definitely Premiership standard.

eirebhoy and yourself have got it spot on. He's a CM who won't get a game at WHL in CM because of Carrick, Jenas, and Mendes, but he has a future in the Premiership. There's talk of a move to Brum in January.
    kingpin35 wrote:
    because ex Leeds player Aaron Lennon has taken his place

No he hasn't.

Reid was playing LM, Lennon plays RM. Davids is playing the LM role for Spurs at the moment, though he tracks inside too much and leaves Lee exposed at LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I can't see what he's done wrong for spurs. Played quite well in a few of his games, didn't do well in the last few. He has been very unlucky have been brought to spurs when the've been on their shopping spree. They've got a few good players that aren't getting a look in and it's a bit unfair for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Miller scored the winner today for Leeds, 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go and they win 4-3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Kingp35 wrote:
    ex Leeds player Aaron Lennon has taken his place and Reid isnt getting a look in.

Lennon took Wayne Routledge's place in the team

• Advertisement

Lennon took Wayne Routledge's place in the team

Has Routledge even played for Tottenham yet? I thought he's been injured for the season so far.

I can't see what he's done wrong for spurs. Played quite well in a few of his games, didn't do well in the last few. He has been very unlucky have been brought to spurs when the've been on their shopping spree. They've got a few good players that aren't getting a look in and it's a bit unfair for them.

He'sbeen caught in a no-mans land in terms of singings. Its debatebale who wanted Reid bought, Daniel Levy/Frank Arnensen/Martin Jol.

To be honest, he's been so-so from what I've seen to date. defensively solid, but not spectacular going forward.

Lemlin wrote:
    Has Routledge even played for Tottenham yet? I thought he's been injured for the season so far.

Got 70 minutes against portsmouth on day 1.

Miller scored the winner today for Leeds, 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go and they win 4-3!

Absolutely brilliant match. I was on a fit of despair with 20 mins to go and then we score 4 goals on 15 mins. What a game

Just thought there, if Reid does go to Leeds, he'll be the third Irish midfielder that the team have on their books on loan, after Johnathan Douglas and Liam Miller.

Has Kevin Blackwell taken a like to the Emerald Isle all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So was Millers performance in the southampton game anygood?

evilhomer wrote:
    So was Millers performance in the southampton game anygood?
    Originally posted by Kingp35
    Fair play to Miller for scoring the winner and he did well throughout the game.

I think that quote from the thread entitled "Leeds" answers your question.

Lemlin wrote:
    Just thought there, if Reid does go to Leeds, he'll be the third Irish midfielder that the team have on their books on loan, after Johnathan Douglas and Liam Miller.

Has Kevin Blackwell taken a like to the Emerald Isle all of a sudden?

I have noticed this myself. We also tried to sign Mattie Holland on loan but Charlton wouldnt let him go. Seems as if Kevin Blackwell likes Irish players all right. We also have a lot of Irish young players at the club as well as Gary Kelly and Paul Butler. Leeds have always had a very big Irish connection

Bit of an update on this. We are now trying to sign him on a permanent deal and it has been said that spurs may be tempted by a £1m deal as he is not in Jols plans anymore and spurs have far too many midfield players. It seems as though if we can afford his wages and Reid chooses to leave then it looks good for us. he may be forced out of the club because Spurs want to offload some of their fringe players

Kingp35 wrote:
    Bit of an update on this. We are now trying to sign him on a permanent deal and it has been said that spurs may be tempted by a £1m deal as he is not in Jols plans anymore and spurs have far too many midfield players. It seems as though if we can afford his wages and Reid chooses to leave then it looks good for us. he may be forced out of the club because Spurs want to offload some of their fringe players

No offence to Leeds but I can't see Reid moving to a first division club. I can think of 3 or 4 Premiership clubs that I imagine would be interested in him at 1 million.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    No offence to Leeds but I can't see Reid moving to a first division club. I can think of 3 or 4 Premiership clubs that I imagine would be interested in him at 1 million.

I agree with you that other PL clubs would be interested but im not entirely sure who would be interested other thn the clubs at the wrong end of the table that may not interest him. Leeds are slowly becoming good again and are a interesting prospect. We have a very strong Irish connection too which may tempt him also. Saying that though I wouldnt be too surprised if he turned us down but as of yet we are the only club that have officially declared our interest in him. i heard Kevin Blackwell talking about Reid in an interview and he said he is very interested

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree with you that other PL clubs would be interested but im not entirely sure who would be interested other thn the clubs at the wrong end of the table that may not interest him. Leeds are slowly becoming good again and are a interesting prospect. We have a very strong Irish connection too which may tempt him also. Saying that though I wouldnt be too surprised if he turned us down but as of yet we are the only club that have officially declared our interest in him. i heard Kevin Blackwell talking about Reid in an interview and he said he is very interested

Everton were interested before and I can't see them going down. I'd imagine teams like Blackburn and Birmingham could be interested to, and you could even get Man City or Charlton after him.

Sorry but can't see how your argument about him not being interested in clubs in the bottom half of the PL makes any sense. Surely if he's not interested in playing for a poor PL side, he certainly won't be interested in playing in the first division.

Leeds aren't even guaranteed promotion this year. Alot of things could happen between now and the end of the season I know but it'll take a very good run for them to overtake Reading and Sheff Utd.

Lemlin wrote:
    Everton were interested before and I can't see them going down. I'd imagine teams like Blackburn and Birmingham could be interested to, and you could even get Man City or Charlton after him.

Not sure if any of these clubs need him
    Sorry but can't see how your argument about him not being interested in clubs in the bottom half of the PL makes any sense. Surely if he's not interested in playing for a poor PL side, he certainly won't be interested in playing in the first division.

I didnt mean bottom half I meant really struggling but I see your point but you should also acknowledge that Leeds cant be considered an uninteresting prospect. They are still one of the biggest clus in the country remember
    Leeds aren't even guaranteed promotion this year. Alot of things could happen between now and the end of the season I know but it'll take a very good run for them to overtake Reading and Sheff Utd.

Very true but we are certainly going about it the right way having caught up on Sheffield Utd by 4 points this week alone. Anyway my point is that if no on else declares in interest then I wouldnt be surprised if he came to us. If other clubs do then I wouldnt be surprised if he chose them, im not that deluded ;) but we are still in with a shout. As of yet no one else declared on interest so that puts us as the front runners.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If he does end up at Elland Road I just hope he's lost some weight so his fat arse isn't waddling around the pitch like it was in his last couple of Ireland appearances.

Not sure if any of these clubs need him

Blackburn would definitely be interested as cover/competition for Emerton. Bentley is only a loan deal after all. Charlton and Man City also need to improve their squad depth. Everton were interested before and I can see Moyes going after Reid again.

I didnt mean bottom half I meant really struggling but I see your point but you should also acknowledge that Leeds cant be considered an uninteresting prospect. They are still one of the biggest clus in the country remember

Leeds are bigger than alot of clubs in the PL, but so are Sheffield Wednesday and I can't see Reid going to them. At the end of the day, premier league football is premier league football. A step down to the Championship would be a backward step in his career IMO.

Before the Leeds rumours started, there was a lot of speculation among Spurs fans about a move to Brum in January for c.£2 million.

I'd be surprised to see us accept as little as £1 million for him TBH, I think the upfront payment on him from Forest was in the region of £3.5-4 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree with you that other PL clubs would be interested but im not entirely sure who would be interested other thn the clubs at the wrong end of the table that may not interest him.

Blackburn arent at the wrong end of the table and we could definately do with him come january :)

zaph wrote:
    If he does end up at Elland Road I just hope he's lost some weight so his fat arse isn't waddling around the pitch like it was in his last couple of Ireland appearances.
    Everyone in Ireland and the Uk think he's overweight, wouldn't he have got it sorted by now after 2 years of grief? He's not overweight.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Everyone in Ireland and the Uk think he's overweight, wouldn't he have got it sorted by now after 2 years of grief? He's not overweight.

Jol answered this before by stating that Reid is one of his fittest players. People often cal Rooney fat too but it doesn't stop him covering ground on the pitch.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:

I agree that he is not overweight but he is quite big builded. For that reason alone I dont think that he is not a winger because he doesnt have the pace for it. Reid for me is a far better central player and played some of his best football there for Notts forest. He has great passing ability and creativity which would suit him plying in the centre.

Maybe its wishful thinking that he will move to us but I would sure like to see it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have posted numerous time before on this and it seems to me that the people that know nothing about footie or the physic of differnet football players call him fat!! everyone else agrees that he isnt!! I have never seen him standing in the middle of the pitch with his shirt covered in swet and not able to move!! want to see this watch players if they aint fully fit,...was it Dunne in the Italy game when he was nowhere near fitness and after 15-20 mins was covered in swet!!

Prob someone now will come out and say "sure Dunne is a fat *****!" and again no he aint!!

Anyway dont want him to go to Leeds.....already got Miller.....we will take him at Shef Wed....Eagles is suppsoed to return to Man Utd in Jan so he would fit right in and also get to play with a future midfield parter for Ireland .....Glenn Whelan.....:D ........I cant see this happening but I can dream....would honestly like him to stay in the PL because when I seen him play for Spurs he was doing well....also when him and Robbie where on the team they worked a few goals together!!

Maybe him and Robbie to Everton.....Everton still want Robbie to play alongside Beattie in the ....big Un, little un combination!! If Reid went I could see McFadden move back to Rangers/Celtic becasue he has done nothing inLiverpool....has he scored yet for Everton???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree that he is not overweight but he is quite big builded. For that reason alone I dont think that he is a winger because he doesnt have the pace for it. Reid for me is a far better central player and played some of his best football there for Notts forest. He has great passing ability and creativity which would suit him plying in the centre.

Maybe its wishful thinking that he will move to us but I would sure like to see it happen.

cant see reid as a top class centre mid as i dont think he has the defnsive ability to play there. Maybe he would be better suited to a free role in behind the front two in which case would make him a debatable signing for a lot of sides as this would mean a change in tactics for them.

mchurl wrote:
    cant see reid as a top class centre mid as i dont think he has the defnsive ability to play there. Maybe he would be better suited to a free role in behind the front two in which case would make him a debatable signing for a lot of sides as this would mean a change in tactics for them.

Best team always have a defensive midfielder and a more attacking one linking the midfield with the strikers!! thats the role Reid plays....never seen him run away or shirk out of a challange for a ball!!

mchurl wrote:

Every team needs a creative midfield player, someone who can get on the ball and pass it around, both long and short and Reid is perfectly suited for this. He wouldnt have the defensive abilities as some midfielders but he certainly doesnt pull out of tackles!! With a player beside him who can tackle well he would be perfect as a central player.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Every team needs a creative midfield player, someone who can get on the ball and pass it around, both long and short and Reid is perfectly suited for this. He wouldnt have the defensive abilities as some midfielders but he certainly doesnt pull out of tackles!! With a player beside him who can tackle well he would be perfect as a central player.

It always feels weird when we agree on something!! but to actual more or less say the same thing....Im going home now to hide......ahhhh 666 on my car wrote in snow!!!!

lmao

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    It always feels weird when we agree on something!! but to actual more or less say the same thing....Im going home now to hide......ahhhh 666 on my car wrote in snow!!!!

lmao

LOL :D

I think thats twice we have agreed on something now. Im starting to get worried as well but something tells me it wont last!!

Alot of people forget that Andy Reid has a better record in the first division than Duff had. His career has stalled since his move to Tottenham but I still believe that if he gets the chance he could be a good player.

Kingp35 wrote:
    LOL :D

I think thats twice we have agreed on something now. Im starting to get worried as well but something tells me it wont last!!

Leeds and Shef Wed fans agreeing!! this will be on Yorkshire News on Soccer AM tomor!! remeber change is not good!!! :D

As lemlin says he has hit a rut but really in only last while...started season good!! lost form and lost his place....Spurs just have too many midfielders!! if he was at a normal club he would have a chance but they have too many central midfielders so they are pushing Davids into his position!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Leeds and Shef Wed fans agreeing!! this will be on Yorkshire News on Soccer AM tomor!! remeber change is not good!!! :D

LOL I like it!! :D

mchurl wrote:
    cant see reid as a top class centre mid as i dont think he has the defnsive ability to play there.
    I think he has, he was one of Spurs most effective players defenisely before he got dropped. Also, he has just as much defensive ability if not more than Emre, Ireland, Lampard, Scholes, Malbranque, Ballack...

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Spurs just have too many midfielders!! if he was at a normal club he would have a chance but they have too many central midfielders so they are pushing Davids into his position!!

Or one could say that Reid hasn't done enough to warrant selection, and so Davids (who was signed to play LM) gets the nod on the left with Carrick and Jenas filling the central roles (and Jol doesn't rate Reid in either of those slots).

Even if Davids was to move central, its more likely Spurs would try either Lennon or a fully fit Routedge on the left, or Tainio for that matter.

Advertisement