Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think the game would be better without "Scan"?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

It makes it very unrealistic because no matter how well you hide for example you can be found in one click of a button.
    Means when one team has no flags the game is pretty much over without a chance...

Is it configurable?

Is the Commanders "Scan" option a good idea? 33 votes

Yes its fine
    0% 0 votes
    No its crap
    84% 28 votes
    Should be server configurable
    15% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Eh... if the team has all the flags and there is someone alive, it is only fair that he can be found fast. Especially on larger servers. I think it's grand the way it is. I don't know if it's configurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its an essential tool, if your so unhappy about it go blow the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jaggeh wrote:
    its an essential tool
    Yeah, a magical mystical James Bond type of tool

you know a sattelite can do a thermal scan that can pick up your heat signature through several feet of concrete.....

its not exactly james bond stuff.

stop crying about it and throw some C4 on the sattelite uplink trailer.

jaggeh wrote:
    stop crying about it and throw some C4 on the sattelite uplink trailer.
    Its an opinion, stop attacking it and go sit on some C4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sucks when your a sniper in a good position and your busted by scan and not by someone copping.

Useful when advancing in large numbers tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Does the game need commanders at all never mind scans ?

I would rather if there was none and it was up individuals to find the last remaining players alive on the other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

But aren't spec ops invisible to the scan feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

d22ontour wrote:
    Does the game need commanders at all never mind scans ?

I would rather if there was none and it was up individuals to find the last remaining players alive on the other team.

Would be better if Squad leaders used binos to spot targets, like in Bf42 rather than the just blowing up areas for the sake of it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Agent47

its annoyuing wen ur last guy(s) and ur team has no flags and u get busted by scan, id prob prefer it if it just gave the commander the ability to zoom right in on map, at least then they'll hav to seaerch for u!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭IG-Calibre

I think 16 player servers would be fantastic if there were no commanders tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Well we regurarly play Inf only, no vehicles and no commanders on our 20 man server and it is mental fun. Great on Masthur, Sharaqui, Oman and Karkand 16 player maps.

Fairy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

yep spec ops are invisible on scan..very handy when you're the last guy and you need to cap a flag....just find the farest away flag and cap it..(in theory...but as we all know the last guy just stays where he is like a big fvcking gimp)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Airblazer wrote:
    yep spec ops are invisible on scan..

I believe you are mistaken there as spec ops are as visible as any other class .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

they are invisible on something... it must be UAV then... I am not sure...

they are invisible on something... it must be UAV then... I am not sure...

Nope . They are visible on both uav and scan .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Eh, no Jonski, I think you'll find Spec Ops are completely invisible to UAV when wearing the unlockable Marshmallow Suit ( must have 15697751 points) which also makes you invisible to tanks, other players, very small kittens, and eggplants.
    It also means you can not only remain undetected on UAV and scans, but can run up and punch the commander repeatedly in the back of the head while remaining totally invisible.

(Translation: Spec Ops are visible on UAV and scans - Sarcasm factor : 5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

the game would be 1000 times better if there....

a) were no commanders, no artillery and no scans
    b) no snipers
    c) adjustments made to the nade launcher

^^and thats only for gameplay

theres tons of other bugs both in game play and other features of teh game which EA/Dice need to sort out asap. chat while paused anyone??

Crazy that they have an expansion out already(soon) and we are still stranded on 1.03 which isnt even a real patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

b) no snipers

Crazy that they have an expansion out already(soon) and we are still stranded on 1.03 which isnt even a real patch.
    1.04 will be coming out soon. I snipe with the heavy machine gun. Without the scans, it'd be pretty much BF42, tbh.

Silverfish wrote:
    Eh, no Jonski, I think you'll find Spec Ops are completely invisible to UAV when wearing the unlockable Marshmallow Suit ( must have 15697751 points) which also makes you invisible to tanks, other players, very small kittens, and eggplants.
    It also means you can not only remain undetected on UAV and scans, but can run up and punch the commander repeatedly in the back of the head while remaining totally invisible.

While I commend you for finding this out ( and I wasn't aware that everyone knew it ) , I laugh in your general direction for not realizing ( is that with an S or a z , cba running it through spellchecker ) , that Spec ops spend most of their time crawling around on the ground . Now , I can see some wondering why this is significant . Well if you have ever noticed while your are flying at high altitude in a plane or chopper and you look down at the ground , you can see ants running around like headless chickens , or is it the other way round , no matter . These ants , in latin antuspunishisus Forownusfaultus are well known for their addiction to sugar and would pick a marshmellow incased spec ops clean within a matter of seconds , rendering him invisible to one and all , scan , uav , binoculars , naked eye ( huh huh , I said naked ) and even microscope .
    Is this a chance you are willing to take to blow up gun or two , rob a tank and base rape until you are kicked from the server ? I think not ! .....oh wait , if this thread is being read by the general BF2 population then maybe the answer is yes .

Therefore I believe the best way to become invisible is ...to blow up the uav and scan trailer first , rob the tank , base rape , then sit back and eat the marshmellows ( toasted on the fire of your burning enemies ) and watch those kick votes come rolling in .

John

• Advertisement

here here jonski, nothing says 'good job' like the enemy team attempting to kick you.

but seriously, if you have a problem with the commanders assets
    GO BLOW THEM UP!!!!
    score some points, steal some tanks and escape. just for heavens sake stop whinging about it, without the commander+assets we would be playing a prettier BF1942 and as much as i like the older BF games, i LOVE bf2.

the game would be 1000 times better if there....

b) no snipers
    c) adjustments made to the nade launcher

^^and thats only for gameplay

theres tons of other bugs both in game play and other features of teh game which EA/Dice need to sort out asap. chat while paused anyone??

In my opinion, I think the following things should be dropped:

UAV
    Scan
    Artillery
    Commanders
    Choppers
    Tanks
    Weapons

I also think the size of the maps are unneccessary, they should be more linear. In order to destroy the enemy you should have to jump on his/her head twice.

(Translation: Got a better idea for a game? Go make it. Someone else designed this, and lo, it was created, and they deemed it good. And it was good. And then, they created the 1.03 patch. And this was also good. And the people did rejoice, and were happy. For five minutes. Then due to the low attention span created by too much gaming, sought to sully that which was good, by planting unease in the hearts of the people. And Silverfish did say unto these: Go, forth, to Game or HMV and buy thyselves another game where thou wilt bitch and complain less, I do not like the game they call 'Championship Manager' and my solution to this was not to go forth and complain on every forum, server and toilet wall in the country, in the hopes that the gods would smile, and hire me unto their design team, whereupon I would redesign the game and release another wave of people complaining about the changes, and thus and thus forth for eternity in a never ending loop of complaints, but instead took my free choice of not playing the game, and in this day of money and choice there are other games available in which you may play, free from artillery, commanders, UAV and scans.........go play them, lest I call upon EA to release the 'Smite the Muppet' patch.)

Silverfish wrote:
    <snip>
    Yunno if that was only 100 times funnier it would be funny.
    ...:v: ...:eek: ...

Silverfish wrote:
    Someone else designed this, and lo, it was created, and they deemed it good. And it was good. And then, they created the 1.03 patch. And this was also good.<snip>

What about the begot'en part , I like the begot part ie: EA begot dice and dice begot BF2 , the begot'en part is the only good part of the 'good book' .

Why is it that the women always forget/neglect the begot part ? pfffff

GreeBo wrote:
    Yunno if that was only 100 times funnier it would be funny.
    ...:v: ...:eek: ...

Bambi's friend thumper's mom says , if you can't say something nice don't say nothin at all .

jonski wrote:
    Why is it that the women always forget/neglect the begot part ? pfffff

Because we usually have to do the begetting, and the bringing forth, and would prefer not to think about it.

Or, optional answer two:

I'll beget you*

*copyright Irish Mammies 2000BC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Guys....stfu.

Guys....stfu.

Well okay, I'll put it simply then.

I think if you take out commander, artillery, scans, snipers and nade launchers, you've just got a game similar to a few others out there, and if they want BF2 to change to that, why not just buy another game in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

commanders? with the assets at their fingertips its just like turning on a multihack and having the ability to rain death the size of a football pitch down.

As a result its now harder to catch hackers, because in previous games all you needed was a well timed pb screenshot, what does a screenshot tell anyone now.

Snipers? does anyone not hate these idiots?

nade launchers? Don't get me wrong I have no qualms about using them and all my time is spent as assault, but the fact of the matter is they are too powerful and need toned down, and thats not just my opinion.

BF2 never needed half thes features and the best games Ive played have been without commanders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Agent47

assets wud be ok if they cud only be repaired by engineers, that way the team will be more involved where as all the commander has to do is drop supplies at each point and hes bk to norm and if u hang around the assets wen uve blown then up u get swarmed by enemies, if it was up to engineers to fix them then opposing teams can hav snipers scoping the assets to prevent them being fixed.

Advertisement