Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would any of our leaving certers here consider taking study "aids"?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 5:11pm

im just curious if ye would see them as an option?ones such as ritalin
    btw!its legal to have possesion of them in ireland!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Ritalin no, but stuff like ginseng yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

seeing as they're illegal probably no but i don't know much about them...anyone care to enlighten me???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh same here.....it's not some sort of anti-lethargy pill is it?

they are very very mild amphetamines which cause you to be able to concentrate harder and longer!they are illegal because they have small oamounts of a controlled substance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ritalin is a prescription drug (Methylphenidate) used among other things for children with ADHD.

I am amazed anyone would even suggest the use of Methylphenidate by normal healthy young people. It does NOT make you 'able to concentrate harder and longer' if there is not a deficiency there in the first place. On the contrary, it can result in agitation, anxiety and psychosis if mis-used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wouldn't dream of it. THe Leaving cert isn't important enough to risk messing your body up over

yeah it does work!three of my best friends used after their mocks last year for three months and all bet their mocks score by at least 140marks i the leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Don't you get addicted to that kinda stuff?! Just have a cup of coffee for God sake!

no they are not addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I wouldn't consider using them. The LC isn't that important. I imagine it'd be more satisfying to get a good result without the help of drugs, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I take this orange drink, it's not a drug but just a daily dose of vitamin C and it gets rid of that feeling of tiredness from overworked weeks. It's pretty good, I recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

snickers bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Y'know, I have a sneaking feeling you have some kind of an ulterior motive

na i wouldnt sell them to ye!that would be illegal!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yeah it does work!three of my best friends used after their mocks last year for three months and all bet their mocks score by at least 140marks i the leaving!

It wouldn't be the fact that they had 3 months to study more material?

I don't really see a point to this thread. Neither over the counter "aids" nor prescription drugs are really going to help you do well in the Leaving and i'm not really sure to which you are suggesting the use of. Enlighten me or this thread is getting the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I got through the leavin no bother without any "aids"!!!

ritalin was what they were using!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I have to deal with kids who are on Ritalin, Concerta, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that they are cocaine derivatives, albeit very mild?? They are used in the treatment of ADHD and have the effect of relaxing/calming fdown the person who takes it - I've seen the results, they do work.

BUT only if you have ADHD. In a normal person, they produce the exact opposite effect.

And they are a controlled substance which has to be prescribed by a doctor.

Mike

no derived from amphetamines!oh yeah people pming me!i dont sell the stuff or in fact have any!

yes the bloody are you idiot

• Advertisement

calm down dolly!they are not addictive in doses of ritalin standard

Don't promote this kind of bullsh*t, I'm surprised this thread is allowed continue

calm down pet!im just curious if ye would take them!im not promoting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I'd have to agree with everyone else on this thread.

Drugs such as ritalin etc. are intended for people with real problems, not people who cant put their head down to study. Anyone who would consider taking drugs and the risks that come with them is mental in my opinion. If anyone can justify using drugs which you dont actually need them for the leaving cert. fire away.

In conclusion no. :rolleyes:

its nice to see some debate on it!so where is your info that it is addictive deise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Click

:v:

You didn't even need to see that proof (thanks crimE) Anyone with any bit of cop on would know they'd be addictive and have bad effects. The Leaving Cert is stressful enough without setting ourselves up for even bigger problems later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yep, that's that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement