Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Or Salmon

• 18-11-2005 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

What a legend of a horse... I think everything positive and negative that could have been said about him and even his most astute followers are getting a bit fed up with him but at the end of the day it still hasnt been proven beyond doubt that Kicking King is better than him and I'm certainly taking the 8-1 for him tommorrow.

also he is way overpriced at 25/1 for the gold cup as well considering it will be his main target again this season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Fair play to ya bud....he ran a blinder today...hope you took some each way about that gold cup price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bignialler

I did indeed.... think he's gone down to around 12/1 now... I wonder will he go for the King george... we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

After the way he's ran at Cheltenham the last couple of years I cannot understand why anyone would back Beef or Salmon for the Gold Cup, in my eyes he is not suited by Cheltenham at all and is far more at home on a flat gallopping track like Haydock or Kempton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I agree with MasterK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Redlancer

I backed Kingscliff at 10/1 saturday but I did not back him for the gold cup because like Beef or Salmon he cannot be relied on to turn up on the day sound.Both horses have loads of talent but both have a history behind them and the one thing Kingscliff has over Beef or Salmon is he jumps better and jumping is so important at Cheltenham.

Also Beef or Salmons best runs have come in very small fields and that wont be the case in March plus most wins & good runs are on soft and that certainly wont happen in March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

masterK wrote:
    After the way he's ran at Cheltenham the last couple of years I cannot understand why anyone would back Beef or Salmon for the Gold Cup, in my eyes he is not suited by Cheltenham at all and is far more at home on a flat gallopping track like Haydock or Kempton.

As much as Beef or Salmon is a horse I couldn't back at Cheltenham, or to be brutally honest, anywhere else. I think any price in the 20s could be worth a small each way interest. You have to believe that connections wouldn't send a horse over to a track if they felt it had no chance whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I think part of the fact the send him is because there is only one Cheltenham Gold Cup and even if the course doesn't suit him they still hope he can at least place. With the amount of withdrawls last year with the exception of Kicking King it was a fairly average race.

Come march the ground is usually not ideal for him. The biggest problem is the pace of the race, it's very difficult for such a small horse to jump such difficult obstacles at pace, therefore he is always likely to make too many mistakes.

On the other hand if he becomes a very tempting price and there are a number of withdrawels like last year he could become at very least a half decent trading oppurtuinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bignialler

I agree with some of what has been said and to be honest you can never be confident backing him, and again his stats show his best performances have come in a small field with a muddling early pace but he has had an acceptable excuse for nearly every race he has lost.

Going back to the point about his dislike of cheltenham,he fell in the '03 gold cup and apparently busted a blood vessel in this years..... his fast finishing 4th to best mate in '04 was a good performance considering he was ridden off the pace with the intention of just getting him around safely. and he showed his superiority over harbour pilot (3rd in the '04 gold cup) the next time out in punchestown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

BoS is a bad risk for any punter. Hes always at big(ish) prices because the bookies dont see him as any kind of threat.

He has pace but cant jump to save his life, BoS is never goin to win the Gold Cup. In fact if you look at his results he only seems to win with small below average grade fields. Big feature race with other quality runners =>doesnt figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The horse has won 6 grade 1 chases, and is one of the best horses in training, In fact he has been the only horse to beat Kicking King last year and Best Mate. He is not going to win a GOld Cup, but he is probably the most talented horse in training when things go his way. Missing Down Royal and leopardstown may have cost him the race on Saturday. Had he not fallen at Cheltenham as a novice he could have been the best Irish horse in a generation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement