Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Leader, UL students afraid of the dark?

• 18-11-2005 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Front page of the city edition says UL students are afraid to be on campus after dark, is this true for the majority of ye, or just some whinebags whining? Personally I think some people will be scared anywhere but I'm willing to be proved to be in a brave, not afraid of the dark, minority.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Well, that was an unbiased introduction.

There were several attacks on female students around the castletroy area last semester, including at least one on campus. An email was sent to the student body suggesting care when walking through poorly lit areas late at night. I'm going to have to go with the afraid of the dark whining whiners and say it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Yeah, some guy was stabbed in college court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not once have I ever been afraid to walk around campus by myself, at any time, day or night. I wouldn't like my girlfriend walking around by herself at night, but that goes for anywhere not just UL specifically. Fact is that girls are more of a target than guys and that applies across the board, not just in UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

I walk from dromroe village to college court and back late at night and nothing has happened. Even walking down that little dirt track i.e. rape lane.
    Just dont like it when the lights on the research building suddenly switch off then turn back
    on. OHH SPOOKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'm not advocating being stupid mousey, always be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thats it; last time I go for a drink in college after 7.00 :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

IceHawk wrote:
    There were several attacks on female students around the castletroy area last semester,

You are wrong, they were 'attached'* :D :v:

RE walking round late a night, It dosent bother me a whole lot, although usually i'm with a group.

Walked home at 4 oclock in the mornin last night, nary a soul in sight

*sorry to trivialise that, but still.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

no way,sry but id be terrified walkin late at night on my own
    all ive ever heard is dont walk on your own,or ever with another 1 or 2 girls
    i hate walkin in "rape lane"
    and walkin back from college , out the west gate, even at 6 isnt very nice

but thats not just for ul
    its for everywhere

still sucks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

Its different for girls. I wouldnt walk anywhere on my own at night. It doesn't bother me if its dark and not that late ie. before 10 but i wont go anywhere on my own after that.. No point taking any chances with some of the type of people that are around castletroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

It s all lies. no more happens in Limerick than anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

violent crime at night is a problem all over the country, all over the world, and I'm afraid I don't really see how protesting against it is gonna make it go away. I'm not so sure if those figures about females being more likely to be victims of it are correct either- it just seems so random that anyone can be hit by it, in the same way that anyone can be hit by a bus. While everyone agrees that the violence is a bad thing, even if the measures called for by the protesters are put in place - i.e. bad lighting addressed - muggers will still mug, stabbers will still stab and rapists will still rape. while the aims of the march are admirable - to make the campus a better, safer place at nighttime, unless it helps to get a garda station in the castletroy area i think the march will have been futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Peteee wrote:
    You are wrong, they were 'attached'*

LOL, I remember laughing at that for a good 2 weeks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Iv never had any worries about walking at night round ul and niether do most of my friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Strange really

I worked in UL late most nights and never had an issue with it. I used to work Ents as well and found the only issue was if you walked home with the grey shirt showing it could lead to problems so you didnt.

It used to be a hell of a lot worse. When i served my time there, there were no lights in the avenue leading to Plassey nor on the avenue to Elm Park. Things have brightened up abit. There was an inniative to give alarms to anyone who wanted them when walking home, you know press and it emits a very loud pitched noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I never walk anywhere alone. Tbh that comes from 4 years in UCC... so it IS the same everywhere. I would walk to/from college up till bout 9 ish these nights, after that taxi/drive or with a group and only if there are boys in it. Otherwise NO WAY. id much prefer not to have that last drink and use the money for a taxi rather than regret it the next day.

and b4 you say anything kai or peteee, yes, i did say 'rather'.

440Hz wrote:
    and b4 you say anything kai or peteee, yes, i did say 'rather'.

Quite!

I suppose its different for girls though.

tbh theres a world of difference between walking around UL and (say) finglas or somet. I'd have no problem with UL, but some parts of the country, no way, even if the risk of being stopped and beaten up is small

girls schmirls.

taewondo tbh. or radioactive watches.

or a bf...reflective cycling thingies, halogen torch...the list is endless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Peteee wrote:
    Quite!

You can't talk.. you L**** B******!!! [That'll learn ya to mock me posh talk!! hee hee]

As for accessories... they always work! Particularly the bf accessory you speak of kai. A girl once pulled a knife on me in Henry's (Cork) for no apparent reason... only thing that saved me was my 6ft4" bf who happened to be a black belt... that scared her off well and good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

What is UL needs is better security, not the current load of coffin dodgers..

They spend their days clamping cars and then at night when they should be patroling they disappear, must have to be back in the OAP home by a certain time maybe???

Just saw in the limerick post that 3 students (2 women) were robbed at gunpoint on monday night at 9pm near the groody roundabout :eek:

Bloody hell!

• Advertisement

sensationalist at best pete.

your post that is :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

shepthedog wrote:
    What is UL needs is better security, not the current load of coffin dodgers..

They spend their days clamping cars and then at night when they should be patroling they disappear, must have to be back in the OAP home by a certain time maybe???

Seconded. But then they're "Campus Security". In the college where I am at the moment they're "Campus Police", drive around in jeeps and have utility belts with handcuffs. Plus they're yound, in their 20s. Two of my flatmates have had run-ins with them...not an enjoyable experience :v: Perhaps that is what UL needs.

Advertisement