Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance related to system RAM?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

I've got a 64mb ATI Radeon, and the performance seems to be going down - I use it to play BFV, and now even on the lowest graphics settings there's loads of chaff.

So, is this related to my system getting clogged up with other stuff? Do I need to get more RAM?

I've tried upgrading the drivers, but no difference there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

That's probably not enough video memory for heavy games like the Battlefield series - if the game tries to load more textures into video memory than there is available RAM, they'll get cached out to AGP memory. When textures are continually swapped out like this it causes thrashing and the game stutters. Similarly if you don't have enough system memory then pages will be swapped out to the hard drive, causing even more thrashing.

Depending on your what sort of system you have, your problem is probably a combination of these. I'd upgrade the graphics card first though, 128mb video cards are pretty much a standard requirement with new games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend a good cheap 128 card?

That depends, how cheap is cheap?!
    You can get an FX5200 for €50, but that's a pretty crap card by all accounts... for €100 you could get a good 9600, or for €150 you can get a 6600/X700.

How much system memory have you got? Battlefield prefers 1GB, and struggles on anything less than 512MB.

This is BFV, not BF2 BTW

Oh right, sorry I didn't read it properly - yeah 512 should be ok for BFV. You're saying performance seems to be actually decreasing? When was the last time you reinstalled windows?

• Advertisement

When was the last time you reinstalled windows?

Yeah, that would be a while ago.

I know it's a pain in the ass to back up everything, and even then there's always some program or setting that you forget to backup. But a proper format-and-reinstall can do wonders for your machine, especially if it's been a couple of years since the last one. Failing that, at least try a disk defrag if you haven't done one recently.

Advertisement