Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Tables, any advise?

Options
  • 18-11-2005 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

My LO has started to learn her tables but its a battle, they just don't seem to be going in, any advice on helping her?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

When I was teaching my kids their tables, I used to only teach them in blocks for 4 or 5 lines, not the whole lot together. Get out a box of matches or something more suitable, and physically show your child the sum with the matches, it will make it easier for them to digest the information and understand what it is they are learning. If you need to, put it to a song that they know and that way they will pick it up very fast. Also, you could make them write it out a couple of times rather that rattle it off. They will need to be able to answer questions in random order, not tit for tat as it is in the tables book.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

not a that stage yet hopefully he will pick it up easily though.....
    LB6 gave good advice.
    all i can add is make it fun and no pressure on the little one it just makes it harder, she will eventually pick it up but only when she is ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The matches are a great idea for actually learning the meaning; I used lentils, but that was in the sixties, man.

Another thing; if you're in the car or on the bike with the kid, make a game where you shout out "SIX FOURS!" and the kid shouts back the answer, "TWENTY-FOUR!!!!" - or if she doesn't, you shout it out yourself, but when she gets it, you give big praise.

You can also make it like a TV quiz game, making a big beep (not on the horn!) when she gets it right, and shouting: "Lola is KO REKT!!! The answer is TWENTY-FOUR!!! Ta-DAAAA!!!"

Advertisement