Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone for grandparent?

• 18-11-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,
    im looking to get my granny a phone for christmas.

i think i remember somthing about a mobile phone with not too many features that had a big monochrome screen and large easy to press buttons.
    it was either designed for recommended for people with bad vision / arthirtis as everything was so basic.

does anyone know wht this phone is or could someone recommend something like this for a technophobic person with arthritis?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

"Vodafone Simply" exclusive to vodafone thinking of getting one for my dad. It is as big as a cordless home phone looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

that could be the one im thinking of alright :)
    cheers for the link

the keys look very close together so ill have a play around with it in the shop before i splash out.

anyone who knows someone who used one of these have any feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Nokia 1101 on Meteor isn't too bad either.
    http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/nokia1100.html
    A bit like a 3310 with a fancy battery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Does your grandparent use a hearing aid? The reason i ask is that most (if not all) modern mobiles are digital and may interfere with a hearing aid. The person using the phone could get strong feedback as a result of bringing a mobile close to their ear. One way around it is if you use an older, anaologue phone. i do't know where you would get one but they are available as a friend of the family uses one in conjunction with his hearing aid.

Maybe it doesn't apply to your situation, but just something to consider...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

subway wrote:
    i think i remember somthing about a mobile phone with not too many features that had a big monochrome screen and large easy to press buttons.

Any phone of the early 00's, in particualar the Nokia 6150 - 6310i. Why they had to change to the current crop of finicky things with pointless featuers is beyond me, and I'm not elderly!

I'm watching out for a new phone for my granddad. He has however specified he wants a flip phone (he has had mobile long before anyone else I know, so he has some idea). Clamshells tend to have bigger buttons, and there is no need to learn how to use the keylock or any of that. I think he would be insulted with the "simply" phone, (are you saying im thick... :) ).

I'm half tempted by the motorola v3 (slightly weird buttons, but the start screen is easy to configure so the basic functions can be found easily), or else the nokia flip one o2 are offering on speakeasy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Get anything? What bout Nokia 6101?

Advertisement