Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 10mb?

• 18-11-2005 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

A couple of my online mates in england have got their 3mb upgraded to 10mb for free! Apparently on the UK site somewhere in small print it says that everyone who uses their 3mb service can upgrade to 10mb for free!

Ive heard its coming from a few sources, and its the same sources that told me my 600 would become 1mb, then 2mb.. So im confident in saying that the 10mb upgrade will be available in ireland aswell! Apparently they are going to upgrade at christmas.

WOOHOO!

Did anyone else hear about this? Is there anything in the grapevine for irish NTL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

i was using a 1mb eircom bb , now im using 10mb .
    theres nothing to get that excited about.
    when i download music or trailers (legally ofcourse) i still only get them at ca. 90-100kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

If that's true I'll be defintaly getting NTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

We may well be getting an upgrade, but it's nothing to do what is happening in the UK.
    It's a different company, different owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

I heard that a few months ago from (The Register ) but that mainly talks about england. the last time i read about NTL making their bb faster in england it happened here to. just a shame i cant get it in Blanchardstown

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL:UK has sold NTL:Ireland. NTL:Ireland currently belongs to a Morgan Stanley holding company, but should be soon transfered to the Liberty Group, who also own Chorus. It is likely that Chorus and NTL:Ireland will merge and become UPC Ireland (the brand name for Liberty Group).

So NTL:UK has nothing to do with NTL:Ireland anymore, so just because people in the UK get upgrades, doesn't mean that we will.

However having said that there are rumours that NTL:Ireland are getting ready to upgrade to 8mb/s which makes sense with increased competition from Magnet and Digiweb and likely Smart and Eircom soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

PlayaFlow wrote:
    i was using a 1mb eircom bb , now im using 10mb .
    theres nothing to get that excited about.
    when i download music or trailers (legally ofcourse) i still only get them at ca. 90-100kbps
    No that's still 1Mb I have 2Mb and I can get downloads at 210k so if you are getting 90k then all you are getting is 1Mb not 10Mb. You would notice 10Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

A 10Mb will get about 1MB in a second. That's an MP3 in 4 seconds.

edit: If you get a max connection that is... ;)

DingChavez wrote:
    A 10Mb will get about 1MB in a second. That's an MP3 in 4 seconds.

edit: If you get a max connection that is... ;)

exactly my point "when u get max connection" ... i rarley getmax connection or many hosts when downloading .

And 1mb or 10mb make no noticable difference for me when i play online games either.

The online noticable advantage is when i download software updates or stuff like that . then it downloads at lik 900-1000kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And 1mb or 10mb make no noticable difference for me when i play online games either.

that's because once you're connection can download/upload at around 10K/sec the faster your speed doesn't mean lower ping. ping has nothing to do with your download/upload speed.

ping is how long it takes for you to send one packet of infomation to the server and for the server to reply back.

Cremo wrote:
    that's because once you're connection can download/upload at around 10K/sec the faster your speed doesn't mean lower ping. ping has nothing to do with your download/upload speed.

ping is how long it takes for you to send one packet of infomation to the server and for the server to reply back.

ahhhh , so thats what 'ping' is ........well u learn somethin new every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

its also called latency :D

/me takes a bow

Isnt it true you can 1/2 your ping by killing a checksum/interleaving on a connection? Loads of gamer ISP people in germany and a few in the uk do it, makes a 30 ping 10-18ish, purdy sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

PlayaFlow wrote:
    exactly my point "when u get max connection" ... i rarley getmax connection or many hosts when downloading .

The online noticable advantage is when i download software updates or stuff like that . then it downloads at lik 900-1000kbps

It takes 12-14 seconds to download an MP3 from iTunes on the NTL 3 Meg.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

red_ice wrote:
    Isnt it true you can 1/2 your ping by killing a checksum/interleaving on a connection? Loads of gamer ISP people in germany and a few in the uk do it, makes a 30 ping 10-18ish, purdy sweet

Your talking about interleaving on DSL. Eircom has high interleaving (bad) on their business products, low interleaving on the residential products and BT Irelands LLU DSL product has interleaving turned off.

Advertisement