Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where'd the shop go?

• 19-11-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

:eek: ........why the heck did Jones move out of the college??

It wasnt as if they werent doing business there, jeez, I'm lost without that shop, if I have to get paper or card, or anything else I have to go to the main shop and even then they dont give student discounts :mad: , madness! lol.

Any plans of a new shop opening?? Might be a good opening there for someone to make some money and sell stationary, badly needed!

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

They do a fair amountof the paper and other stuff in th S.U. now.
    Theres something moving in there now but i ve no idea what.
    Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

student bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Beats me... The main shop does give a discount... well at least I get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

the SU shop is crap.
    they dont have any proper A4 refills, that piece of **** PUKKA pad fell apart and im left handed, its very awkward to write on. the general service there i found to be crap. All i was looking for was an A4 pad, i feel sorry for the design and drawing students. they must be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

We are lost.........:( :( , lol.

CroppyBoy1798

• Advertisement

Oh no, they only have like a 10 minute walk to the fecking shop... Lazy bast@rds...

Xavier,

Believe it or not, but in 10 minutes you can get pretty wet if its raining and you need a marker or a marker refill real bad :D

I prefered having to just go downstairs and pick up a marker, call me lazy but hey, it suited me better ;)

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah i think its safe to say it was a lot easier to just pop downstairs to the shop than to walk up town. besides we'd have to go to scraggs for a pint if went as far as jones.......just the one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i find it funny that it left the year i leave!! obviously i was keeping it afloat with pantones etc.

Well it's obvious that it is easier, but it's not that damn hard. Anyway you should have all that stuff before you go to college...

I have yet to buy a bag... :)

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote:
    student bar?
    I wish!!!
    Anyway it looks like the shop is now some sort of college summer program office

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

to be honest xavier, its a college. If it can have a juice bar it should have a stationary shop. It may be only 10 minutes down the road but thats 10 minutes there and back that a student can afford if they suddenly need more paper or if an item breaks.

The_Goose wrote:
    I wish!!!
    Anyway it looks like the shop is now some sort of college summer program office

yeah its a weird place for an office. people can see through the damn thing!

for exam situations, a proper stationary shop is a must....

especially for people like me who have relied on cramming for the past 10 years

Well the lease is expensive... when the college lacks business in the summer they still have rates to pay, 'tis no wounder they are gone. The college should provide but you can't expect jones to keep business there if it's too expensive...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

they definatly should not have gotten rid of it. you need a stationary shop in a college, simple as that.

you mean, a proper stationary shop.

and if a lease is a lease, and the college still have rates to pay during the summer, what are they earning off the premises at the moment? so they are nothing out of 12 months now, versus 9 months rent out of 12 before.

i doubt that Jones were kicked out of the college, so i can only imagine that the students union wanted to take over the business of selling stationary and use the profits to go towards the SU. pity they are doing such a crap job of it.

i would have thought that jones pulled out.

i cant imagine the su having any influence on this. when you think about it, jones had to pay two people to work there everyday + rent and anyother costs i cant think of. so perhaps there margins werent big enough.

true, 4 or 5 hundred in wages a week plus rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I find this really inconvenant (sp?), cause its a real pain in the hole having to walk down to get some A1 sized paper. It was better when if you made a mistake you could just pop around the cornor and get another sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lashes

i think it was a bit ridiculous that they did get rid of the shop in the college and they havnt replaced it with any other shop since. seriously the shop in the SU is crap and you have to go down town to bind something that could take 5 mins in the college. i think they should bring in another stationary shop would be so much better and convenient :o

Tell me about it lashes, I'm in constant need of mounting board, refills for both clutch pencils and pantone markers. The kind of things that you should have a supply of yourself but they do run out and you need to top up again. The last time I went to the SU shop to enquire about these items they told me to write down what I wanted and they'd order it from Jones main shop....but ehh.........I needed it there and then! :(

It is a shame that a college of all places, where there is a great demand for stationery and such is without a shop, it wasnt as if Jones werent making money, the place was always packed, sure it was over-priced, but the fact that it was so near made up for this.

Hopefully someone will realise the need for a shop and the profit that could be made from one and set up shop again in the college.......I'd keep them in business anyway! :D

All the best,

CroppyBoy1798

lashes wrote:
    you have to go down town to bind something that could take 5 mins in the college.
    They do have binding in the SU, or was that another daydream someone confirm so i know which pill to take?:o

The_Goose wrote:
    They do have binding in the SU, or was that another daydream someone confirm so i know which pill to take?:o
    All i've seen is in the way of binding is a paper puncher and some plastic folders.

Hold on a fecking second... Why is everyone saying "they got rid of the shop" Who the hell are "They"? The college? Why would the college "get rid" of the shop? I said before that the lease on that unit is huge. They also have to pay lease when the college is closed.

Why would the college "get rid" of the shop?

Well if they didnt get rid of it, which I'm sure they didnt, Jones packed up themselves of there own accord, most likely. Then why dont "the college" put a shop in its place, they obviously arent too worried about there being a need for a shop or they'd have one in there already.

CroppyBoy1798

they => THE OTHERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I heard a while ago that O'Briens were opening a shop in the college where Jones's were???

irish1 wrote:
    I heard a while ago that O'Briens were opening a shop in the college where Jones's were???
    Great, just what we need, more over priced food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

O' Briens? the ones off Granby Row? Nice people. i know their cousins...

starbucks is the way forward!!

Those yanks have a few shops in Eire me thinks... Although the starbucks here and the starbucks in america are going to be 2 totaly differant cafe's... anyway where would ya put one in the college... :)

Theres one on Dame St in Dublin, was in there last Saturday night. I failed to see what was so big about it to be honest, other then you get big assed mugs for your coffee. Although knowing Starbicks, their going to start tring to overtake every street cornor possible.

The invasion has begun!!!

i think its safe to say the country will be dotted with starbucks within 2-5 years.

The whole point of starbucks is not the coffee.. the reason for it's success was it's relaxed and chilled atmosphere. You didn't have to purchase anything to sit there... you could just go in and read a book. Of course their coffee is high quality also.

Could ya imagine...

"here mista... ya gona bleedin' buy somtin or wat... loike, fuk, bollx... piss off ya scroungy shoite... fuk, fuk, drugs..."

• Advertisement

the majority of starbucks i have seen in the states have limited seating. barely even room to get to the counter. the first few in ireland will be roomy and comfy, but the rest will just be crammed into any hole in a wall in any town showing signs of development.

there are infact 3 one in an upmarket shoping center and one in the microsoft plant.

i was the 1st customer in dame street, (i'm a strabucks junkie! after living in london i became addicted, im a real coffee snob anyway), their coffee is of a suerior quality to most irish cafés as the KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!! most cafés dont know the difference between a capachino and laté etc.

the actual premises are quite small and your lucky to get a seat at anytime hence its a lot of "to go's" the staff are super friendly but you will wait at least 10min due to heavy ques. all in all its better than many uk starbucks (i've not tried the us ones) my new yorker friend assures me its near identicle in taste to the us

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

big starbucks fan myself, love the coffee. nicenst one i was in is at cantabury in england. is goes way back and it so chilled out. loads of room. They are so handy. one on dame street, one in dundrum and one in MS. Hope more pop up to be honest. They are handy for morning pick me ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

The_B_Man wrote:
    O' Briens? the ones off Granby Row? Nice people. i know their cousins...

Ha ha ... Granby Row ....aka... Freezer Road. :D

Advertisement