Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian mp3 sites

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Here are a list of some bands that release their own stuff available on allofmp3.com that do not get money for the releases that they fund themselves either on their own label or without a label, small or otherwise:

Einstuerzende Neubauten
    Coil
    Nurse With Wound
    Current 93
    Swans
    Jarboe
    Death in June
    Tomahawk
    Fantomas
    Neurosis

And that's just the stuff I'm familiar with and a quick search. I'm sure there's a lot more bands whose sales are low enough for these sites to have an impact on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

John2 wrote:
    They have a number of albums available in the shops but these were a couple of albums that were never intended to have a wide distribution, they were meant to be mail order to the fan club only. I've just checked allofmp3.com and they're gone now so maybe their lawyers made some progress.

But as for a clear story, they contacted allofmp3.com and allofmp3.com politely told them to go away, they didn't care. The Russian government said it wasn't their problem. Last I heard the band contacted their lawyers and that was a year ago.

Maybe the whole thing was misunderstanding? If it was that easy to get the artists off the websites then there would be no major artist on their sites.

Why did your friends do this on their own instead of through the record company or the likes of IMRO?

It all sounds a bit wrong and I aware they are dodgy to an extent. HMV also are about to avoid taxes by setting up in Isle of Man or Gurnsea. So they are also acting dodgy.

They did it because they are sick of the record industry and want to be self contained. They have had label problems in the past (no money for four albums) and their renewing their contract with Mute isn't worth it since Mute were bought by EMI and changed its priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

John2 wrote:
    They did it because they are sick of the record industry and want to be self contained. They have had label problems in the past (no money for four albums) and their renewing their contract with Mute isn't worth it since Mute were bought by EMI and changed its priorities.

Not sure isn't IMRO a bit like a union too? I mean IMRO would do the legal work either on behalf of the artis or the label.
    As the record label never gave them money what is the difference between them and the website?

I know the record industry is full of trouble but that is part of my point. People don't get a fair deal from any of the players so helping the destruction of the current system seems good to me. The hollywood studios had to go through this before when they had the studio system.

With podcasting coming up things may radically change forever.

As the record label never gave them money what is the difference between them and the website?

No difference whatsoever. I think they are the scum of the earth and I don't buy anything from them. That record label did it to many bands (the label's called Some Bizarre by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

i use mpsearch.ru, never had any problems with it. cheap, i got 20 dollars credit for something like 16-17 euros. only costs 10 cents per song. though the only problem is they are missing albums by some bands that i wanted.

Advertisement