Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laneway Problem!

Options
  • 19-11-2005 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    I live right beside a laneway which attracts quite a few undesirable teens at night. Up until recently they would sit all along my wall at the top of the laneway at the road. Then I installed a halogen light which shifted them for a while, but now they just go further back down the lane beside my garage(adjacent to the house). Its a real pain in the ass lying in bed listening to them getting gradually more pissed and louder and louder til they start fighting etc etc. especially when it gets to 3 or 4 o clock and youre up in a few.
    I know theyre allergic to bright light, oh and the odd squad car, but I cant justify putting a halogen light shining down the lane, despite the fact that the cover they'd have would make it easy to smash it up.
    Is there anything else I can do?Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Get a good alsation dog and put him on a long leash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Ah if only it was that easy muffler! I wouldnt feed him for a few weeks then put him out there! Is it possible to put a snake on a leash? Thatd scare em off!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your local council, see if they will close the laneway or at least gate it so only residents can use it.

Have the cops actually do something about drinking in public (illegal in most places)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Or if the laneway is private property shared by you and other residents, talk to them about getting together and gating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Victor wrote:
    Talk to your local council, see if they will close the laneway or at least gate it so only residents can use it.

Have the cops actually do something about drinking in public (illegal in most places)

We have a similar problem in our area , except they roll joints in front of the local kids etc along with the rest of the stuff listed by the OP. Been onto TDs about it .. been onto the police about it (they don't bother coming down!!) .. Fingal co. co. hardly even answer the phone these days and life goes on! They were letting off professional fireworks right down our street from our gate .. down the centre of it .. with children out cycling bikes. I rang the guards because a child could have been SERIOUSLY damaged. This was a week after halloween. An hour later, the guards hadn't been down.

Good luck with Victor's suggestion, you should be so lucky!
    If you stick your neck out .. you might just get your windows smashed, so be careful with the choice you make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

This worked for my bro who had the same problem as you do.

buy a 50 gallon drum of industrial grease. Pour it nice and thick along the laneway and on the walls and i bet these guys dont come back more than once.
    Nowhere to sit and their €200 runners get destroyed. Do this early so they dont know you did it in case they decide to get you back.

If its a case that other people use the lane obviously you cant do this, but if you smear everything they have to lean against or sit on you're sorted. smear the walls about waist height and the sides of bollards etc

Also ignore the inevitable 'thats aginst the law and you are liable for injuries rubbish' that no doubt will be posted here by the goody goody nosey gob****es who are always looking for somewhere to poke their riteous noses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

I think jimmysmith has the perfect idea, but id suggest using anti-burglar paint instead its completely legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If all else fails, buy a couple of baseball bats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

muffler wrote:
    If all else fails, buy a couple of baseball bats :D

How would that help?

The grease isn't a bad idea at all. Avoid doing anything directly. They know where you live and can cause you even more heartache with windows/breakin's etc etc.

<edit>
    Ofcourse if someone reported you for illegal dumping, you can bet there'd be 2 squad cars down in quick order to arrest you and prosectue you.
    </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JimmySmith wrote:
    buy a 50 gallon drum of industrial grease.
    Not very constructive and aside from being done for litter, won't someone think of the kiddies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Victor wrote:
    Not very constructive and aside from being done for litter, won't someone think of the kiddies?

more constructive than the guards i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

think jimmysmith has the perfect idea, but id suggest using anti-burglar paint instead its completely legitimate.

Hi Reaver,

Sorry to say but you would be spending a lot of money on a product that is anything but legitimate unless you erect signs in compliance with Heath and Safety regs.

Such compliance is a very dangerous thing to attempt to comply with because "The Wise Boys" can claim they didn't see the signs or remove them before their friends who don't know the area have that "Accident".

The grease sounds good except for the poor innocents like babies and dogs :)
    rock salt in a twelve gauge works wonders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

rooferPete wrote:
    rock salt in a twelve gauge works wonders ;)

Ahh reminds me of the old farmer method. Shotgun a dog and "GIT OFF ME LAND OR ILL F***ING KILL YA!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 floor_pie

If you have a dog bring him to take a dump in the lane every time he needs to go.If you don't you could always collect your own and dump them over your wall into the lane.I'm sure you wouldnt like to be seen doing that but nobody is going to want to spend any time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BizMaker

That’s a tough one and I definitely empathize with you. I had the same problem. Thought that I bought the dream house in a scenic location, which had a ‘right of way’ lane beside it. Some of the young locals parked in the lane after closing hours, kept me awake, smoked their pot, dumped their stuff (that I had to clean up) and generally made life miserable. Thought of using cameras, high-powered lights etc., and ended up shining flashlights up the lane. They eventually wrecked about 200 feet of fencing at the front of my house. The guards came after the vandalism occurred but there was little that they could do. These were local teenagers and I left the wrecked fencing for about a week so that the parents could see what some of their little saints did.

I thought about getting violent on them but decided they were not worth the consequences. Also discussed closing the laneway with neighbors (who didn’t want it closed), and considered putting up barriers (which would have been illegal) on the laneway. I also tried the council but it seems that the rights of these teenagers were more important than mine.

It eventually became a contributing factor in selling up and moving house.
    So I hope you can come up with a solution to sort them out.

Advertisement