Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it called!!

Options
  • 19-11-2005 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey everyone, Im fitting a window next week, and I'm stuck as to what you call the finishing plaster surround thingys which I need to get my hands on. The house is pebbledash, and then around the outside of the windows is this flat architrave/coving/skirting type boxed finish. It sticks out from the wall by about 5mm. I'm presuming you can buy these in precast plaster or whatever and stick them to the sides and top with mortar and screws?
    What are they called AAAAAGH!! Help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

It's just plaster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Think you are describing the reveals around windows and they have a lip.When the plaster is scracthing up walls on outside they put up this box that they make with 2X1 and nail it into reveals and plaster into it,giving the edge that sticks out from reveal.Of course I may be totally wrong.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Ah so simple!!I thought they were pre formed and then fitted. Thats easy peasy rendering! Thanks Farls and MadM!!!!!!:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ah so simple!!I thought they were pre formed and then fitted. Thats easy peasy rendering! Thanks Farls and MadM!!!!!!:o

Yeah easy peasy rendering....let us know how you get on with the top reveal...heh, heh...

kadman:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

No di-respect but if you have to ask what a reveal is I think you are in for a surprise when it comes to actually replacing them.

The real fun should start when you are trying to get a finish on your reveal without ruining the pebble dashing.

If you are talking replacement window then by the time this job is finished you will know why the window companies install from the inside out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

I can only imagine how difficult doing the top one is! Luckily, however, hehe, The top 'reveal' is intact from where the old window on top of the garage door was and its just the two sides I've to do.
    There wont be any pebbledashing to ruin as its new block. Again, off the hook! Gonna get a pro plasterer to do the dashing tho, its gotta look spot on as opposed to my crappy DIY that'd probably fall off over Christmas! Thanks again for the help folks.

Advertisement