Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified Cars

Options
  • 19-11-2005 2:12am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭

Any body know anything about this ban which the government are planning to bring in??

What is the stori??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

just read a little bit about it, supposedly coming in in january, affects the nct test where a car with tinted windows, double exausts, and one that makes too much noise etc etc will fail the nct.......what a joke, i dont have a modified car (dont have any car) il admit sometimes they piss me off a bit- but this is just a joke....

its based on the fact that 20% of deaths on irelands roads are caused by drivers between the ages of 17 - 24 (suppose mostly male)....i suspect if they looked at the demographics of the country that age group probably accounts for the majority of the driving population....and 20% of deaths could even be the lowest percentage...i dont know though.

stupid stupid plan in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Souped-up cars used by 'boy racers' to be banned
    Joe Humphreys
    Todays Irish Times 17 November 2005

Car modifications used by "boy racers" will be outlawed from next January under a planned reform of the National Car Test (NCT).

Minister of State at the Department of Transport Ivor Callely indicated his intention to ban darkened windows, and put a cap on noise levels from engines to discourage the development of customised cars associated with speeding.

Under a planned order, amending the terms of the NCT, cars will be failed if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications after January 1st 2006.

Mr Callely said he was also planning to establish an NCT technical forum to which the public and other interested parties could make submissions on possible future changes to the test.

He confirmed that a mid-term review of NCT Service (NCTS) Ltd had been completed and that the Swiss-owned company would continue to operate the test until 2009.

As part of the planned reforms, however, the company may have an expanded advisory role for motorists taking the test.

It is proposed that NCTS will advise motorists on technical issues, such as tyre quality, aside from deciding on success or failure in the test.

Speaking to an Oireachtas committee yesterday, Mr Callely expressed his concern about the high death rate among young men on the roads, as well as the "boy racer" phenomenon.

At the same meeting, Minister for Transport Martin Cullen announced plans to extend the penalty points system early next year to incorporate offences such as dangerous overtaking, failure to obey traffic lights and road signs, and crossing the continuous white median line on roads.

"I have been assured that the necessary support framework for a significant extension of the system will be in place by April next year at the latest," said Mr Cullen.

"I have asked my officials to press with their colleagues in the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform and the Garda Síochána to advance that date, if at all possible."

The Minister said he would also shortly bring forward a Bill creating a tendering process for the privatisation of speed cameras.

The Garda, with the assistance of the National Roads Authority, would be responsible for choosing placement sites for such cameras based on "collision history and prevalence of speeding incidents".

Mr Cullen added concerns about a legal challenge meant he would not be establishing random breath testing before the end of the year, despite such a recommendation in the Road Safety Strategy.

Kathleen Lynch (Labour) questioned the Minister's commitment to road safety, citing a claim to the committee by chairman of the National Safety Council Eddie Shaw that he could not adequately plan certain campaigns because he did not have the necessary money in advance.

"Mr Shaw never raised that with me," Mr Cullen replied. "So I am surprised that is being said."

The Minister said anything Mr Shaw had sought from his department had been granted. He added that as legislators, "we must strive to look at this subject in a dispassionate manner".

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

found this on another site:
    Under his plans, cars will fail the test from next January if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications or if their engine noise exceeds the legal limit.

The only authorised modification that can be done to a car is either by the manufacturer or engineer. Also they only stated the main things on there but they did say ANY unauthorised modification eg. Air Filter, Exhaust, Body Kit, Larger wheels, suspension, window tints, spoilers, sound systems, Visual etc

Not to sure where he got the info but I cant see this going ahead. ANY deviance from standard will fail the NCT, no way is that going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i cannot see that go ahead, even sound system, this government is really screwed up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

rapidly getting fed up with this country, i drive a completely standard car but i mean if someone cant personalise there car even to the extent of tinted windows then where are we goin as a nation in ten years will we all have to drive the same car and dress the same and be the same, its such a joke where is it gonna stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

If it goes ahead this forum will be as usefull as tits on a bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Farls wrote:
    If it goes ahead this forum will be as usefull as tits on a bull!
    It'll go the same way as the old 'Smoking A Fag and Drinking A Pint' forum - remember that? Or it'll be driven onto a games console near you - Pimp your Ride 4 from EA games - start with a Micra and add bits until it looks and sounds like an Enzo. Endless fun. Not.

The NCT is currently a joke, how is making it more difficult going to increase its efficiency?

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I'm guessing that the government is just diverting attention away from the real, expensive-to-fix problem: bad country roads!

As for the privatisation of speed cameras, it will be interesting to see which roads they earmark for cameras. Will they continue to monitor safe roads and ignore the more dangerous windy country roads? and if they provide enough coverage with speed cameras on dangerous roads then surely there is no excuse for banning car mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. I've seen some nice modifications, but then I've also seen muppets with only one modification done to the car: a large barrel stuck underneath their car, which makes Holloween sound like a pin hitting the table.

I think the minister should have levels for mods, as if its "nothing but what comes with the car", legally he'll have to ban anyone with different wheels, for example wheels with better grip. He'd also have to ban anyone who modded their ECU (or whatever the computer in the car is called) to increase performance... and this will include all those modifications that make the car safer. Remember, its a modification, so its gotta be "bad".

Oh, and now for the funny bits: limo's, they have tinted windows... lets see them being untinted. Likewise Garda vans and cars used by the goverment... yes... I extremely doubt they'll be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

they can kiss my ass if thats goin through !! i paid enough money for my car , i pay ridiculous insurance, i have always kept my tax up to date an my car passed the NCT btoh times.
    If theyre gonna fail me becuse ive got Wheels 2inches bigger than standard, and double exhaust TIP and an air filter they can stuff it.

my car naturally has a roary engine noise , the exhaust tip affects nothing.
    the air filter , improves perfomance a bit but it cleaner for the engine and also the only reason they dont come standard is because car manufacture wanted to cut down on cost - since its not a premium range car , it would be stupid for a manufacturer to put a shiny dual exhaust and big wheels on a low spec model, like they do on high spec models - but this supposed law doesnt take that into account.

what i mean is

civic 1.3 = 13inch wheels , crap exhaust etc (standard)
    cici 2.0 R = 17 inch wheels , Dual exit whaust (standard)

so if i buy a 1.3 and equip it with 17" wheels and a new exhaust its illegal
    but if i buy the type R which has them as standard its not??

thats ridicuolous -its the same car .

The irish Govt. are retards

Edit: if that is the case maybe they should lower our insurance and tax so we cann afford typeR's which have these as standard.
    its like a vicous circle owning a car in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

PlayaFlow wrote:
    what i mean is

civic 1.3 = 13inch wheels , crap exhaust etc (standard)
    cici 2.0 R = 17 inch wheels , Dual exit whaust (standard)

so if i buy a 1.3 and equip it with 17" wheels and a new exhaust its illegal
    but if i buy the type R which has them as standard its not??

thats ridicuolous -its the same car .

The irish Govt. are retards

Edit: if that is the case maybe they should lower our insurance and tax so we cann afford typeR's which have these as standard.
    its like a vicous circle owning a car in Ireland.
    Agreed, in part. However, Gov't are not the only retards.

Look at it this way...
    You've finally got your 6-month old to fall asleep when a scumbag in a modified car decides he wants to rev as hard as he can and accelerate as fast as he can to get to the t-junction, which is just 50-yards away, then slam on the brakes before doing it again to the next turn/junction. All this with a ridiculous 'souped-up' exhaust whose only purpose is to alert people you've got a loud car?

How would you feel?

I think this new law should focus on disruptive drivers, more than car enthusiasts.

Note: for the record I do not think all modified car owners are scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Ivor Callely is a f**king B*st*rd

fonda wrote:
    Ivor Callely is a f**king B*st*rd

Don't think many people that spend thousands modifying there car want to scratch it never mind put it into a wall at 100 m.p.h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

This is a load of rubbish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ando wrote:
    The only authorised modification that can be done to a car is either by the manufacturer or engineer. Also they only stated the main things on there but they did say ANY unauthorised modification eg. Air Filter, Exhaust, Body Kit, Larger wheels, suspension, window tints, spoilers, sound systems, Visual etc

jesus what the hell is going on with this country, talk about "BIG BROTHER" :mad:
    the current government are nothing but a bunch of nazi scum, you can't do this and you can't do that but it's totally fine if you want to spend your entire weeks wage in the pub week in week out.

this Ivor Callely is some boy, he wants to put a ban on modifing your car yet he went and got his son a modified car for his 17th birthday during the summer and his wife and daugher both drive new minis with tinted windows,graphics,load exhausts etc...

this country really is starting to show it's true colours, it's nothing but a country for the rich and the people that run it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

You'll always be allowed to use after market parts, and who's to say how close to the original they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

well i tell you what if he does go ahead and decides to do away with modifing your car he can pay off all the loans people have taken out to get a modified car or to modify their own.

way things are going with this current government we'll be losing the right to express ourselves. what do they want us to do, wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, have our homes painted all the same colour ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

i agree with you HellBoy, i really didnt think it would go so far.

Does this mean that alloys and stereos, which aren't standard manufactor products will have to come off??? Bullsh**t!!

Theres no use in giving out about it on here, there has to be somekind of protest before January.
    sure if the anti-bintaxers can do close down parnell st and north circular road for a protest then so can any1 who doesnt agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

There's already a protest or "cruise de dail" as its named by the jeits organising it.I drive a modded car and have no problem with limits being brought in on window tint or exhaust noise.

The problem is Joe public is reading between the lines and talking in chinease whispers which is why people are now coming out with crap like its illegal to drive a car with different bumpers,alloys or spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

so has any info on this ''cruise da dail'' thingy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

I personally don't think its going to be such a big deal as it's made out to be!

They will ban tinted windows because the gardaí can't see inside the car therefore they can't see if there is too many people in the car or if whoever inside is wearing a seatbelt or not!
    They will ban loud exhausts because of the annoying little boy racers in there mammy's corsa's who saved up to buy a crap exhaust!

Im getting my NCT done before christmas anyway!!! Just incase!!! hehe :D

Oh yea... what about if you take out the modified parts before the NCT and then put them back in?? What could they do about that I wonder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

couldnt do much about that really. but they might have checks for it. For bikes to pass the mot in england their exhausts cant be much louder than standard (even though changing a sports bike exhaust makes it run way better.), to get around it some lads i know over there, and many others simply keep a spare quiet exhaust and put it on for test, but it's way easier to do that with a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

MuchSavage wrote:
    Any body know anything about this ban which the government are planning to bring in??
    Hopefully all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

window tints are already illegal anyway???????
    Its just that now your gonna fail your NCT for them.
    And not having expensive alloys and other mods on your car that youve saved up and worked hard for isnt going to stop anybody speeding....
    the muppets who speed will still have cars and they can still speed even if they dont sound as loud or look as unique doing it.

And not having expensive alloys and other mods on your car that youve saved up and worked hard for isnt going to stop anybody speeding....
    the muppets who speed will still have cars and they can still speed even if they dont sound as loud or look as unique doing it.

Only some window tints are illegal, a light black tint is not ilegal.

What's the story with ambulances, limo's etc. they all have tint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NeonTripper

Check out the link below, tinted windows are not illegal in ireland. There is no legislation for it in this country.

www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/EWFA%20Tint%20Laws.pdf )

But your right about the rest, but they'll just find someone else to blame it on.
    I heard there's a law comin in bannin hoodies? Whats dat about?

Advertisement