Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squares artifacts in all games on power color x850pro

Options
  • 19-11-2005 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey, recently got new pc had some troulble setting up finally got it working
    , hl2 looked lovely. installed and ran san andreas, started getting some bad effects and exited. Ever since been getting really bad square artifacs appearing in all games! I'm goin grazy!!!!!!!!! Could it possibly be a windows issue?
    Here are the stats

Asus A8N-SLI, nForce4 SLI, Socket-939
    ATX, S-ATA, GbLAN, Firewire,DDR,PCI-Ex16

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    1MB, BOXED w/fan

Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 400W
    120mm Fan, SATA, 24pin

2X TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack
    Kit w/two matched PC3200 DDR DIMMs

PowerColor Radeon X850PRO 256MB GDDR3
    PCI-Express, ViVo/DVI, HDTV, Retail

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB SATA
    8MB 7200RPM NCQ

Cooler Master Cavalier 3 Black
    (Without PSU)

BenQ 17" LCD T705 TCO99 Monitor,
    Black/Silver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

either you're overclocking too much or it's a driver error..

if it's not either of them it could be a hardware problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

This guys a mate of mine and i have reinstalled the drivers numurous times. The omega drivers and the normal catalysts and even just the display driver. No feature has been overclocked as he does not have the software to do so.

Could it be a power problem? I wouldnt know much about PSU's and wattage. Supposedly everthing was fine until the installation of San Andreas. He says the pc just freaked out, e.g. the start bar which is at the bottom of the screen went up to the top. He rebooted, and every game has the squares like in the screenshots.

San andreas would have been one of the first games he installed. Ive even done a (quick) format and OS reinstallation to rule out software problems to no avail. Everything is fine until he enters games. I suppose it must be a hardware problem then. In that case we both had bad luck with komplett in the space of a month. At least my problem was a hard disk and i didnt go a few weeks without my PC.

When he got his PC off Komplett, the fan on the heatsink was busted and needed repair. See reviews here. As if all that wasnt bad enough, now this Graphics card problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

jesus sounds serious then!!

if it is hardware then get on the phone to komplett and see if they'll take it back... if they wont then contact the customer helpline as soon as you can and try to get an exchange....

(good to see another Queens fan by the way!!:D)

Ahh id say they'll take it back no probs. Just sucks that it came to this. Waiting another couple of weeks. Im just glad its not me. I still feel ****ty not being able to fix the problem tho. You kinda know when all your options are gone. I just hope its not something stupid. Exausted all theorys now.

Supposedly when you see squares and artefacts its time to send it back. Thanks for replyin doc.

(the queens are nothin without crazy naked Nick on de bass)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's always a sign of impending death for a card when that happens.

Interestingly enough, a few people I know have had problems with powercolour cards, particularly the 9800...pro I think.

Are power cooler a bad name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭sharpjaws

Are power cooler a bad name?
    yep:) i had problem with 9600 Pro b4, it didnt die.but it was somthing else when i opend it :confused: it says 9600Pro on the box but in the box is a card that has half of 9600Pro's clock speed :v: and many ppl i knew had the same problem with power color, shoulnd buy their product really :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

did u take out the card and see if it is seated ok..power plugged into it, fan is spinning,nothing stopping air flow, hsf not loose and nothing metal touching off card??? it sounds like its overheating. u installed ati tool and checked temps?

What temps would we be looking for? Will we need extra bechmarking software to monitor temps? Or will this ATI tool do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

What temps would we be looking for? Will we need extra bechmarking software to monitor temps? Or will this ATI tool do?

click scan for artifacts in ati tool and it will stress test the gfx

Advertisement