Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Content Management System

Options
  • 19-11-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

hey,

I want to put a content management system onto my site but i only have limited php knowledge. Is their anywhere that i can download one and just put it on my site and modify it where necessary?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I use Joomla! quite a lot these days. Easy to manage, easy to theme (with basic html / css knowledge) and very versitile.

Plenty of free component add-ons for it too -- and it's a branch from the Mambo CMS so components are interchangable (worth keeping in mind if you're looking for the add-ons.. search for both 'joomla components' and 'mambo components').

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

mambo is one I have being playing about with lately, it's easy to setup and has plenty of themes available.

Lots of others out there like Typo3(which is harder to get up and running).
    Depends how much you need it to do really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Joomla is a fork of Mambo. Basicly the same thing. The original Mambo developers fell out of favor with the holding company (Miro, who have the trademark on the name) and moved to Joomla.

At the moment they are very much the same and I think Joomla! deserves more of your support as it is the more open source of the two.. although I don't fully understand the ins-and-outs of the situation.

The confusion the fork has generated is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Didn't know about any of the politics.
    If Joomla is the same and is "more" open source then defineatly use that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

When the main developers fell out with Miro they formed Joomla. Joomla as a result has better and more experienced developers working on it than mambo so Joomla is progressing alot quicker than the mambo project. Go with Joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Thanks for the reply's. I couldnt find what i was looking for so i got stuck in and did it myself (majorly suprised i pulled this one off :D ) so i should have it live in the next few days.

I am interested to know what mambo is though?????

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Just putting my own 2c in here. Now, these aren't as mature as Mambo and its derivatives, but they're simple (I'm trying to find one for mass distribution on a server for seperate users with the aim of being simple for said users). cmsmadesimple (CMSMS) is one that I find simple. However, I've found one or two insecurities, although they were on an old version, so may have been fixed (not checked recently).

Another one, which seems quite mature and quite simple is AngelineCMS - I can't think of the url right now, but it's easy enough to find. I found both to be very simple and useful for web authoring that didn't need an incredible amount of bells and whistles.

Both will run off MySQL and php, although the latest version of angelinecms requires version 5, not sure of cmsms.

Typical warning of Caveat Emptor though. However, I find them quite simple, but powerful, and have your usual stuff like templates and css stuff.

They're worth a look if only for a few minutes.

Good luck,
    Aoife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If you're doing your own CMS, you can work wonders with php, mySQL and FCKeditor. I've built a number of cms systems from scratch this way. The image and file upload facilities and the comprehensive HTML formatting makes it a breeze to use, and you can remove menu items easily if you have people using it who prefer simplicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

pmwiki

http://www.pmwiki.org

You can download skins that make it work as a CMS.

I don't know what the skins are like, but pmwiki is very light, easy to use, and surprisingly feautureful.

It is under the GNU license I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement