Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish Broadband really 100% wireless?

• 19-11-2005 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I have moved into a flat recently and I am not sure whether the landlord will allow any holes to be drilled into the wall.

I saw the ad for IBB on TV and it showed just the wireless router next to a computer. Is this true, just a router and you can recieve the signal direct from where they are located, or do you need other nick-nacs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yeah but that is just the ripwave product... and breeze requires an ariel on the roof... hope that helps if you looking for wireless with good speeds go for clearwire if there in your area www.clearwire.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Clearwire isn't available in Cork as of yet.

Is Irish Broadband compatiable with Xbox Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CorkMan wrote:

Yes, just plug in the rj-45 plug into the adapter and thats all there is to it. Alot depends on the connection type you go for, I have the 'breeze' package meself and thats 4mb/4mb which is pretty sweet at the best of times. :v:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Watch out however, there are a massive number of complaints about IBB on this board and most customers don't seem to be happy with them.

In particular the Ripwave product (completely wireless) isn't suitable for gaming.

You would be better off getting DSL for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

CorkMan wrote:

Man have you even read all of the threads on HOW BAD IBB are ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

no but they are 100% sh1t !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

anyone have any idea if the nintendo ds works with irish broadband or digiweb? i really want to play mario kart online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

NO IBB get it if you dare! Digiweb ya but i aint ever had
    it to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

shouldn't it be

Is Irish Broadband really Broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

anyone know what IBB are like in Athlone?

• Advertisement

If not IBB, what company should I get broadband off?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CorkMan wrote:
    If not IBB, what company should I get broadband off?

www.smarttelecom.ie
    Digiweb Metro
    BT Ireland

maybe even Chorus.

What do smart telecom do when they install broadband?

Do they just put a ariel up on the roof, or what do they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dsl through a phone line. No landlord would dare tell you you cant get a phone line installed in your house

krazy_8s wrote:
    dsl through a phone line. No landlord would dare tell you you cant get a phone line installed in your house

And if s/he doesn't allow you to then move, your landlord is a tyrant and doesn't deserve your well earned money. Most landlords are very supportive of intsalling BB, cable TV etc. as they realise it is a requirement of decent paid professionals.

My landlord has a landline in already.

Do you think he should allow me to get Eircom broadband? He said he'd call me back in a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

CorkMan wrote:
    My landlord has a landline in already.

Do you think he should allow me to get Eircom broadband? He said he'd call me back in a couple of days.

why not just run a line up from the existing point? that's what I do, just tape it to the wall if they're that fussy, you'll pick up a length of cable for next to nothing and at the connection point you should still have a free point for the phone depending on what comes with the kit, if not just buy a 2 point filter, cost next to nothing.
    Then again that's just cos I'm the only one that uses a landline in my place and am too scabby to get an extra point put in my room! ;) Any place I've rented in the last 8 years I've always asked for, and always got a phone point in my room, it's fairly standard these days and given the rents that are being paid should almost be a prerequisite

Well the phone isn't in use, so I can just lead the DSL line directly up to my bedroom, and into my modem.

If he has a landline, does that automatically mean he has a contract with Eircom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try Chorus , they have cable BB in Cork city and there is no line rental.

Would I need to get TV from them?

How does their cable setup work?

• Advertisement

you do not need TV as well and they come out to install as long as the cable enters your premises somewhere . Your landlord should have Chorus Cable in the flat anyway .

Chorus BB is technically fine if you can get it and is reasonably costed , see their website .

Do they drill a hole in the wall, or do they bring a line up from the phone socket?

Also, is Chorus BB compatiable with Xbox Live?

CorkMan wrote:
    Do they drill a hole in the wall, or do they bring a line up from the phone socket?

It has nothing to do with your phone line, the BB comes over the Chorus TV cable. If you already have Chorus TV in your house, you can get the modem installed where the TV point is and use a wireless router to connect to a PC. Otherwise they will put another TV point where your PC is, which may require drilling.
    CorkMan wrote:
    Also, is Chorus BB compatiable with Xbox Live?

Nearly all BB is, but Chorus is particularly good for it due to the high upload speeds.

If you can get Chorus I highly recommend it, it is probably now the cheapest yet best BB products in Irleand, even beating NTL for the moment!!

But I don't want to get Chorus TV! Only BB. Where would they connect the BB if I have no TV point?

CorkMan wrote:
    But I don't want to get Chorus TV! Only BB. Where would they connect the BB if I have no TV point?

You have to get the basic tv service to get Broadband ! they need to Heat the pipes!!:D

Aaah, Eircom will be the way so, at least their are upgrading their upload speed.

CorkMan wrote:
    Aaah, Eircom will be the way so, at least their are upgrading their upload speed.

well got to Eircom if you dont want 10mb from NTL and Chorus in the new year !!! :D

Is NTL Broadband available in Cork?

CorkMan wrote:

Your wish is my command master !

<back in bottle I goes>

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote:

Sort of, yuo have Chorus in Cork, Chrous and NTL:Ireland are now both owned by the same company and will soon be merged and renamed UPC Ireland

Definitely don't go for Eircom, Chorus would be a much better choice.

Advertisement